Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report


Hayes & Yeading Utd 5
Tiverton Town 2

HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video

Hayes & Yeading made it two wins from two to open the 2023/24 campaign by following up a 1-0 victory at Didcot with a 5-2 win against Tiverton Town at the SKYex with the Devonians ending the game with nine men with a pair of Jones's seeing red.

The opening ten minutes saw both sides with chances to open the scoring early doors. The visitors played in a 6th minute free-kick from the left, a flicked header seemed to hit a Tiverton player en route to goal with the follow-up being headed off the line by Jerry Wiltshire.

Sixty seconds later play had switched ends with Adam Liddle chasing down the ball wide on the right, his pull back allowed Cole Brown to fire over a first time cross that took a slight deflection in the middle and ended up going wide off Hassan Jalloh at the far post and then on ten minutes a run and shot by Liddle swung wide of the upright.

A 25 yard effort from the impressive Cameron Salmon caused little trouble for Jacob Adams in the United goal and then in the 24th minute the deadlock was broken as skipper Amos Nasha sent Sam Ashton away, the striker firing coolly across Mike Searle’s dive with the ball nestling nicely in the far corner of the visitors net.

Little happened thereafter for fifteen minutes until United and Ashton struck again. A looping ball forwards caught Jack Endacott unawares, his attempt to get the ball back to Searle was spoiled as Brown nipped in and took the ball away from the ‘keeper before firing across past him from the bye-line enabling a well placed Ashton to head into an empty net.

The Devon side almost got straight back in the game as Jack Rice-Lethaby received the ball on the right inside the United box, he fired past the on-coming Adams but Wiltshire was again well placed to play the ball off the line to maintain United’s two goal advantage.

Two minutes from the scheduled 45 mark the visitors were reduced to ten men when Josh Jones slid in as Liddle turned past him with referee McRitchie deeming it serious foul play and immediately showing a red card to the big defender.

Far from letting their heads drop however, the visitors somehow seemed to step up a gear and in the final minute of five added they gave themselves something to smile about during the interval as Craig Woodman saw a shot blocked back to Salmon and he fired across the outstretched arm of Adams into the far corner of the net and we went in soon after with United a man and 2-1 to the good.

Early chances after the break went as you would expect to the home side. Ashton collected the ball on the edge and set up a shooting chance for Jalloh, his shot was blocked with Nasha firing the loose ball over from 20 yards out and soon after a Taylor Miles free-kick was tipped over by Searle.

As the hour mark approached Nasha made a chance for himself by turning past his marker but his effort from just outside the box was easy for Searle. The unthinkable then happened on 71 minutes where despite having an extra man, Tiverton skipper Matt Britton was left totally unattended at a corner from the right and the experienced defender met the ball perfectly to smash home a bicycle kick from 12 yards and the ten men were back on par.

This seemed to awaken United from a mini slumber and with the man advantage and two pairs of fresh legs up front that had arrived just before the equaliser chances started to flow for Ritchie Hanlon’s side.

Steve Ngunga and Liddle combined to create an opening for Jamie Hanlon but his effort was too high but the lead was to be restored minutes later when another Hanlon shot was deflected skywards, Wiltshire outjumped Searle at the far post and knocked the ball down to Rowe who smashed it past the defender on the goal line.

In the 81st minute the visitors numbers were reduced further when defender Dylan Jones, fresh from a yellow card minutes earlier, was caught out and fouled Ngunga with the referee producing a second yellow and subsequent red card.

United made the double man advantage count as chances and goals increased. Ngunga collected on the right and cut in before firing over and on 90 minutes the same player again cut in from the right, his shot deflecting up off a defender and looping over Searle into the Tiverton net for the youngsters first goal for United.

Number five was only two minutes later and it was another substitute who found the net. Debutant Lene Burden brought the ball down in midfield and fed Hanlon to the left just on the corner of the box, he shifted inside and fired low into the far corner for his second goal for United. 

Deep into stoppage time there could have been more, Burden sprayed a super pass to Ngunga who again cut inside but this time his shot flew across the face of goal and wide and then seconds later Liddle fed Brown but again this effort was wide of the target and the game closed out at 5-2 to the home side.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Man of the Match: Amos Nasha.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Tiverton Town
Jacob Adams
Half-Time: 2 - 1

Full-Time: 5 - 2

Referee: Mr J McRitchie

Attendance: 251


Hayes & Yeading United:
Ashton (24 & 39)
Rowe (77)
Ngunga (90)
Hanlon (90+2)

Tiverton Town:
Salmon (45+5)
Britton (71)

Mike Searle
Cole Brown Dylan Jones
Jack Williams Jack Endacott
Jerry Wiltshire © Matt Britton
Omar Rowe Jack Veale
Sam Ashton Josh Jones
Adam Liddle River Allen
Hassan Jalloh Louis Morison
Amos Nasha © Tom Bath
Taylor Miles Jack Rice-Lethaby
Ben Shroll Cameron Salmon
Jamie Hanlon (for Jalloh, 66) Carlo Garside (for Allen, 82)
Ayo Faniyan Matt Buchan
Simon Grant Craig Woodman (for Endacott (45+3)
Lene Burden (for Nasha, 90+1) Jacob Shore (for Bath, 85)
Steve Ngunga (for Ashton, 66) Rhys Thomas
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table