Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report


Sholing 1
Hayes & Yeading Utd 0


United’s lack of punch in the final third came to the fore once again at Sholing on Sunday as Ritchie Hanlon’s side, despite having the greater share of the ball, failed to hit the target and the newly promoted hosts took maximum points with a 1-0 win on home soil.

The gaffer made two changes from the starting XI that fell to defeat in midweek against Chesham with Taylor Miles replacing the injured skipper Sanmi Odelusi and Hassan Jalloh coming in for Ben Shroll in a change of formation for United.

The home side started on the front foot and with just five minutes played a cross from the right was allowed to find its way to Wayne Robinson, his effort was blocked on the line by Jack Williams with the loose ball being crossed to Pete Castle at the far post but he headed wide of the target.

Minutes later, cheered on by the large travelling United contingent behind the Sholing goal, United created a good chance of their own as Sam Ashton saw a shot blocked and when the ball ran loose to Omar Rowe he took aim but was wide of the target from the edge of the box.

Charlie Wagstaffe fired wide for the hosts from distance before in the 22nd minute Williams and Rowe exchanged passes neatly with the former seeing the sting taken out of his shot and the ball rolling comfortably into the arms of Sholing ‘keeper Ryan Gosney.

United’s best chance of the half came just three minutes later as Jalloh teed up Taylor Miles 18 yards from goal, his well struck drive being palmed in the air by Gosney who proceeded to catch the dropping ball unopposed in front of goal.

Another chance came United’s way on 38 minutes as Rowe and Jalloh combined from a short corner, Jalloh chipping the ball into the box and finding Jerry Wiltshire who saw his shot blocked away by a pair of sliding defenders.

As the half closed out United were the creators of their own downfall. Rowe was caught in possession by Robinson who raced into the box only to be denied by a superbly timed tackle from Wiltshire with the ricocheting of the striker for a goal kick.

The goal-kick was taken short like many before it only this time it was Wiltshire who was caught on possession to the left of the United area, the ball was played centrally to Dan Mason who fired in a fierce low shot that Jacob Adams brilliantly tipped onto the upright only for the ball to come back to an un-tracked Jake Cope who fired into the vacant United net to put the Boatmen ahead.

Deep into first half added time, Rowe tried his luck from 20 yards with a free-kick but the effort was too high and the half ended with United a goal behind.

Although United were to control the majority of the ball in the second half the Boatman anchored their defence and apart from a glaring miss just after the hour mark the home goal was rarely troubled which was also the case at the other end as the hosts seemed to take a what we’ve got we’re keeping approach.

It was 62 minutes before either side found an opening in the second half and United really should have levelled the game. Steve Ngunga, who had only been on the pitch two minutes, turned his marker inside out on the righthand corner of the box and crossed to an unmarked Adam Liddle at the far post but somehow the striker managed to glance his header wide when it looked easier to score from my place on the touchline.

Just a few minutes later United earned a corner on the left side, Jalloh took the kick quickly and fired low to the near post, Rowe smartly stepped over the ball but nobody in blue was alert to this and after a couple of bobbles Gosney was able to dive on the loose ball.

Despite seeing a lot of the ball, the visitors lack of creativity really showed and it was 89 minutes before the next chance hit the notepad and this was for the hosts as Gosney played a long kick forwards picking out Jake Adams who controlled the ball well only to blaze over from the corner of the United area.

As we entered stoppage time a neat one-two between Rowe and Jalloh resulted in the latter shooting weakly to Gosney and when Rowe moved in hoping for a fumble a foul was given with referee Smith showing the United man a yellow card, then a red card, then realising he hadn’t already booked him and changed it back to a yellow!

But all in all a bad day at the office from which the Manager and his coaching staff need to pick the boys up and get back to winning ways.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Man of the Match: Cole Brown.

Hayes & Yeading United
Ryan Gosney
Half-Time: 1 - 0

Full-Time: 1 - 0

Referee: Mr A Smith

Attendance: 385


Cope (44)

Hayes & Yeading United:

Jacob Adams
Jake Flannigan Cole Brown
Brad Targett Jack Williams
Pete Castle Tarik Moore-Azille
Tyler Edmondson Jerry Wiltshire
Charlie Wagstaffe Omar Rowe
Jake Adams Sam Ashton
Owen Roundell Adam Liddle
Dan Mason ©  Hassan Jalloh
Wayne Robinson © Amos Nasha
Jake Cope Taylor Miles
Byron Mason Simon Grant
Charlie Fox Jamie Hanlon (for Nasha, 60)
Rob Flooks (for Castle, 45+2) Lene Burden (for Miles, 69)
Ryan Harfield Steve Ngunga (for Ashton, 60)
Alex Sawyer (for Cope, 75) Ben Shroll
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table