Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report


Swindon Supermarine 3
Hayes & Yeading Utd 5


Jerry Wiltshire scores his first United goal in Wiltshire as Paul Hughes’ side come from a first half deficit to hit the hosts for five in the second half at the Webbswood Stadium to break the winless run and put smiles back on the faces of the very vocal travelling support.

The gaffer made several changes to the side defeated by Hartley Wintney a week previous and things did not quite start as hoped when a weak pass in the 12th minute gifted the ball to Harry Williams outside the United box on the right, the Supermarine striker quickly advancing before firing across the unprotected Dan Wilks into the far corner.

Three minutes later Wilks did well to block away a Ryan Campbell effort on the turn after he had been fed by Zack Kotwica inside the United area.

United despite having the greater share of possession had to wait until the 28th minute to have a clear strike towards goal, Moses Emmanuel winning possession 25 yards out and letting fly but his effort was wide of the target on this occasion.

The final five minutes of the first half saw three further half chances for the visitors to pull level. Reece Cole found Sanmi Odelusi 20 yards out, his low drive being blocked and cleared six yards from goal and a couple of minutes later a centre from the right was met by Emmanuel but his header went the wrong side of the upright.

Stoppage time saw a smart United move as Odelusi found Emmanuel, the striker’s neat back-heel setting up a shotting chance for Cameron Green but his effort was also blocked away by a desperate last ditch defensive tackle and we went in a goal adrift at the break.

Not sure what was said at the break but it had the desired effect as United looked a different side at the re-start and on 56 minutes the scores were tied up. A ball played into the Swindon box dropped nicely to Jerry Wiltshire, his effort deflected to skipper Charlie Wassmer who saw his low shot cleared off the line but only as far as Wiltshire who fired home from 12 yards.

On the hour United were ahead and I must compliment the referee Mr Fudge who saw we were on the break despite Odelusi being poleaxed as he blocked a Swindon free-kick inside our own box. From Sanmi’s block we quickly broke away with Cole Brown finding Emmanuel on the left, he in turn returned the ball to Brown who had continued his run and the right-back smashed the ball into the roof of the net from the acutest of angles.

Just five minutes later United had a third. Odelusi carried the ball forwards with confidence from his own half before playing it forwards to Emmanuel, his cross field pass was missed by a defender with the ball continuing to Reece Cole who moved into the box and fired beyond Liam Armstrong into the far bottom corner of the hosts net.

The two goal advantage was to last less than 60 seconds however as Williams broke through the United defence to slot past Wilks and reduce the hosts deficit to a single goal.

Either side of the 75 minute mark Green provided the ammunition with crosses from the left, Stan Flaherty met the first and Emmanuel the second but both efforts were too high to trouble Armstrong in the Swindon goal.

A couple of minutes into the final ten saw Emmanuel go down in the box under challenge from Mat Liddiard with the referee pointing to the spot, the decision appeared somewhat soft but when you consider how many we’ve been denied already this season we’ll take it. Emmanuel dusted himself down and sent Armstrong the wrong way from the spot to move United into a two goal lead once more with his 50th club goal.

Once again though the home side came back and reduced the arrears just a few minutes later, a corner from the left was not cleared by the United defence and Will Tunnicliff poked the ball home to make it 4-3 to United.

The 89th minute saw Wilks do well to confidently hold a low skidding Dowling drive and sixty seconds later United killed the game off once and for all when Odelusi picked out Cole and he fired home his second and United’s fifth of the afternoon to send the faithful home happy and smiling.

Report by Kevin Watts.


Swindon Supermarine
Hayes & Yeading United
Liam Armstrong
Half-Time: 1 - 0

Full-Time: 3 - 5

Referee: Mr S Fudge

Attendance: 305


Swindon Supermarine:
Williams (12 & 66)
Tunnicliff (86)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Wiltshire (56)
Brown (60)
Cole (65 & 90)
Emmanuel (83 pen)

Dan Wilks
Sam Turl Cole Brown
Will Tunnicliff Cameron Green
Mat Liddiard © Sanmi Odelusi
Jamie Edge © Charlie Wassmer
Tyrone Duffus Jerry Wiltshire
Zack Kotwica Stan Flaherty
Joe Tumelty Hassan Jalloh
Harry Williams Moses Emmanuel
George Dowling Taylor Miles
Ryan Campbell Reece Cole
Conor McDonagh (for Kotwica, 64) Paul Field (for Brown, 79)
James Harding Drew Churchwell
Henry Spalding (for Tumelty, 64) Florian Envoudou Ada (for Emmanuel, 86)
Brad Hooper (for Dowling, 64) Amos Nasha (for Miles, 73)
Leon Morrison Jamie Hanlon
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table