Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report


Hayes & Yeading Utd 1
Salisbury 0

HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video

Hayes & Yeading’s opening home game of the season saw maximum points achieved courtesy of an eighteenth minutes Moses Emmanuel strike as both teams were reduced to ten men in the dying embers in near 100 degree temperatures at the SKYex.

Manager Paul Hughes made one enforced change with Steve Ngunga coming in for his debut in place of the recently departed Keano Robinson while the bench was loaded with four potential debutants and the recently returned Joe Wilson.

Visiting ‘keeper Gerard Benfield was in action as early as the 4th minute, Mo Bettamer fired a 25 yard free-kick past the defensive wall, Benfield pushed the effort away but only as far as skipper Charlie Wassmer who saw his effort from a tight angle pushed wide by Benfield.

Soon after Sanmi Odelusi fed Paul Hodges but his effort was too high and then with 18 minutes played United opened the scoring with Moses Emmanuel moving onto an excellent ball over the top from debutant Steve Ngunga, the United marksman turning former United defender Dinesh Gillela inside out before craftily chipping the ball over the on-coming Benfield and into the empty net (photo above right).

A first half chance for the visitors came just before the half hour mark as a deep Devon Arnold cross was headed back to the edge of the box by Sam Roberts but Antonio Diaz couldn’t keep his shot down and United’s lead remained.

With the heat playing a big part, injury stoppages and water breaks saw the game move into ten minutes of additional time which threw forth a trio of chances.

Two minutes into additional time Arnold broke free for the visitors, held off Wassmer’s challenge only to be denied by some quick reactions from Jacob Adams who was quickly off his line to snuff out his effort.

Five minutes later a chance for United saw Amos Nasha and Emmanuel combine to create an opening for Ngunga but his driven shot flicked a defenders head and went over the top and in the tenth minute of additional time Cole Brown’s cross from the right was controlled by Nasha but his shot was also deflected over and both sides went in for a well earned rest with United a goal to the good.

United again started well after the break and with nine minutes played Ngunga swung a sweet pass wide to Cole Brown who moved inside but could not keep his shot down. The next opening came just past the hour mark as Nasha slid a neat pass through to Emmanuel but his close range effort had the sting taken off it by Roberts and Benfield swept up easily.

A defensive mistake by United in the 68th minute saw former United loanee Brandon Goodship take possession 25 yards from goal after an errant Jerry Wiltshire pass, he played a nice pass to Josh Wakefield who advanced only to be denied a clean strike at goal by the recovering Wiltshire. The resultant corner was flicked out to Goodship but his shot for the top corner just missed the angle of post and crossbar.

With fifteen minutes of normal time left, substitute Toby Gould set Brown away on the right and his low centre was flicked inches wide of the target by Emmanuel.

The final four minutes plus an additional ten for the second time in the match saw more chances, two red cards and the crossbar keeping United ahead.

The visitors were inches from pulling level when a Charlie Davis centre was met by Roberts who looped a header goalwards that Adams caught under the crossbar and as he crashed into the post he had the presence of mind to keep the ball from crossing the line.

A minute later United substitutes Florian Envoudou Ada and Gould combined with the latter colleting a pass before seeing his shot blocked by Benfield and cleared away by the Salisbury defence.

As we entered stoppage time the first red card came as Gillela made it a miserable return to the SKYex as the former United man saw yellow twice in a matter of minutes and was sent packing by referee Collins. This was followed a couple of minutes later by a diving header by Wiltshire from a Ngunga corner that flashed wide of the target and then with six minutes extra already played it was ten apiece as Nasha received his second yellow card and was also dismissed.

The visitors came within a couple of inches of taking a point home in the seventh minute of additional time as Wakefield crashed a shot past Adams only for the ball to smack into the crossbar and fly back into play before being hacked clear and with three further minutes passing without incident it was three hard earned points for United.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Stacio Fernandes ©.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Jacob Adams
Half-Time: 1 - 0

Full-Time: 1 - 0

Referee: Mr H Collins

Attendance: 216


Hayes & Yeading United:
Emmanuel (18)


Gerard Benfield
Cole Brown Charlie Davis
Dan Wishart Josh Sommerton
Sanmi Odelusi Josh Wakefield
Charlie Wassmer © Sam Roberts
Jerry Wiltshire Dinesh Gillela
Steve Ngunga Devon Arnold
Amos Nasha © Darren Mullings
Moses Emmanuel Ben Thomson
Mo Bettamer Antonio Dias
Paul Hodges Marvin Brooks
Cameron Black Brandon Goodship (for Thomson, 61)
Joe Wilson Dan Fitchett (for Brooks, 61)
Florian Envoudou Ada (for Bettamer, 66) Ryan Penny (for Davis, 90)
Toby Gould (for Hodges, 45) Aiden Savage
Manny Adebiyi (for Odelusi, 55) -
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table