Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report


Hayes & Yeading Utd 3
North Leigh 1

HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video

Hayes & Yeading got back to winning ways in the league on Saturday with a hard fought 3-1 victory over basement boys North Leigh with the victory finally being sealed in stoppage time.

Manager Paul Hughes made a single change from the side that beat Southall on Tuesday evening with Cameron Green returning in place of the unavailable John-Baptiste Fischer.

It could have been the best start possible for United when Moses Emmanuel had the ball in the back of the net after just 10 seconds only for him to be denied a lightning strike by a raised assistant’s flag for offside.

On 7 minutes Emmanuel collected a long ball forwards and found Hassan Jalloh on the edge of the box but his shot was too high and ten minutes later the visitors almost took the lead. Lance Williams collected a long ball over the United defence, Simon Grant was quick to react and got down well to block out his effort and when the loose ball ran to Amer Awadh he fired towards goal just a defender to beat on the line but his effort came back to safety off the post.

The 22nd minute saw the deadlock broken by United. Paul Field collected the ball on the right side and from halfway played a perfect throughball to Adam Liddle, the United striker coolly clipping the ball past ‘keeper Adam North to put the hosts ahead.

A couple of minutes later Emmanuel received the ball in the right channel but his angle was too tight allowing North to hold his shot but he was not to be denied and sixty seconds later he bagged his fourteenth of the campaign, Field again fired a cross in from the right, Liddle did well to chest the ball down to his strike partner and Emmanuel did the rest by firing past North.

The visitors were not going to let their heads drop however and on 33 minutes got themselves back in the game. A free-kick from the left was played deep with the North Leigh player outjumping Charlie Wassmer to head back into the centre where Lance Williams powered a header past Grant into the United net.

Minutes later Williams again went close but his effort was a little too high to trouble Grant, a feat matched five minutes later at the other end after a neat turn and shot by Liddle and we closed the first half with a narrow 2-1 advantage.

The second half started in a slow fashion and it was just before the hour when the next opening for either side came, Emmanuel laying the ball off to Danny Green who saw his 20 yard drive go just the wrong side of the upright.

Five minutes later Emmanuel was denied by North, Jalloh chipped the ball in the striker who controlled it well but North was quickly on him to block the effort away and then within a minute a chance at the opposite end saw Awadh run at the United box before firing narrowly wide from 20 yards.

Right at the midway point of the half United were indebted to Grant who dived full stretch to push wide a vicious Williams drive and ten minutes later a cleared corner at the other end saw Cameron Green shape to shoot from the best part of 40 yards, his low shot beating all and sundry only to crash back off the upright.

On 80 minutes North again kept United out, Liddle chipped the ball through to Emmanuel who saw his effort deflect wide. The resultant Danny Green corner was met by Wassmer who probably couldn’t believe his powerful header from six yards was palmed away by the Millers stopper.

United continued to look for a killer third, Emmanuel was again sent through and after North had recovered from a slip he did enough to force the United striker to fire across goal and wide.

The game was finally ended as a contest in the first minute of additional time, Liddle found substitute Cole Brown on the right corner of the box, he cut inside and fired in a shot with his weaker left foot that North could only push out to Emmanuel who fired in his second, and United’s third, of the game to seal victory.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Anthony Mills.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
North Leigh
Simon Grant
Half-Time: 2 - 1

Full-Time: 3 - 1

Referee: Mr C Martland

Attendance: 178


Hayes & Yeading United:
Liddle (22)
Emmanuel (25 & 90+1)

North Leigh:
Williams (33)

Adam North
Paul Field Jack Alexander
Cameron Green Declan Peart
Sanmi Odelusi Andy Gunn
Charlie Wassmer © © Michael Hopkins
Josh Lelan George Nash
Danny Green Aaron McCreadie
Hassan Jalloh Amer Awadh
Moses Emmanuel Jordan Thomas
Adam Liddle Levi Steele
Amos Nasha Lance Williams
Taylor Miles Owen Dore
Jamie Hanlon (for D Green, 84) Scott Isherwood (for Gunn, 59)
Stan Flaherty Aaron Heap (for Awadh, 77)
Cole Brown (for Jalloh, 70) Luca James
Luke Brophy -
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table