Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report


Metropolitan Police 2
Hayes & Yeading Utd 1


For the first time since the 2016/17 season, Hayes & Yeading’s opening league fixture ended with a defeat, this time around against what is rapidly becoming our bogey team, Metropolitan Police.

Manager Paul Hughes threw in three debutants in his starting line-up, goalkeeper Jacob Adams, centre-back Jerry Wiltshire and midfielder Paul Hodges with five further potential debutants on the United bench.

The home side started well and with 11 minutes played a long-throw was flicked on in the middle by Herson Alves to George Frith but his somewhat tame shot was easily gathered by Jacob Adams however just three minutes later the hosts were to take the lead. Keano Robinson challenged Jasper Mather for the ball inside his own box and with the ensuing tangle of legs seeing the striker hit the ground, referee Holden pointed to the spot. Alves stepped up and fired his spot kick firmly into the corner despite Adams going the right way.

The home side quickly looked for another as Ollie Knight crossed from the left side, Alves chested the ball down neatly but his low struck shot was dealt with by Adams.

United’s first real foray of any significance came in the 18th minute, Robinson’s long throw was nodded down by Charlie Wassmer to striker Mo Bettamer but his driven effort was blocked en route to goal by a gaggle of Police defenders.

Alves tried his luck again on 25 minutes but Adams was able to catch his lofted free-kick right under his own crossbar and the United stopper was needed again four minutes later as Mather burst on to a long low pass and advanced into the box only to shoot weakly straight into Adams arms.

With over half an hour played United started to get a foothold on proceedings. Bettamer smashed a free-kick into the wall from 20 yards and when the ball rebounded to Robinson he hit a low skiddy shot from 30 yards that never really looked like troubling Callum Coulter in the home goal.

The final five minutes belonged to United but the elusive goal did not come.

Robinson’s long throw-ins were causing problems in the home area, firstly a flick on took the ball to Moses Emmanuel but Coulter blocked his shot around the post, and then seconds later another lofted throw into the danger zone saw Wassmer flick the ball to Paul Hodges but his shot after a sharp turn was too high.

The last chance of the half saw Dan Wishart cross from the left, his centre was met powerfully by Bettamer but his header just cleared the goal and the break came with United a goal adrift but finally starting to worry the home defence.

A half-time change of personnel and formation saw Robinson replaced by Wilson Carvalho and that worry took less than 60 seconds to turn into an equaliser after the break. A cross from Cole Brown was played back to the defender who moved into the box on the right hand corner and as he had the previous Saturday he curled a perfect left footed shot through a crowd of players into the far corner giving the unsighted Coulter no chance.

From then on the greater possession was with United, unfortunately the deciding goal went the other way.

Carvalho collected the ball on the left and moved inside just before the hour mark but his low shot was just off target and minutes later the hosts should have re-taken the lead as Mather raced away from the United defence only for Adams to stand up well to push his shot away with Jerry Wiltshire finishing the clearance.

Twenty minutes remained and United were still pushing ahead, a corner kick was played out to Emmanuel who exchanged passes with Wassmer before firing his shot wide and at the other end substitute Tom Read ran on to a throughball onto for his to be blocked by a last ditch Wiltshire tackle with Adams sweeping up the loose ball.

Four minutes later though the home side struck gold, a loose pass from the United midfield was pumped forwards to Alves, he held the ball well as the United defence tied itself in knots a little, the ball was then slipped right to Mather who held off a challenge before crashing a shot past Adams from 10 yards.

As the clock hit 90 a final pair of chances for United saw substitute Ayo Faniyan cross from the right side, Wiltshire climbed highest to head goalwards only for the ball to be headed off the line, Hodges picked it up just outside the box only to be brought crashing down with a free-kick duly being awarded. Bettamer once more stepped up but the home wall did its job and United came away empty handed.

Report by Kevin Watts.


Metropolitan Police
Hayes & Yeading United
Callum Coulter
Half-Time: 1 - 0

Full-Time: 2 - 1

Referee: Mr T Holden

Attendance: 205


Metropolitan Police:
Alves (14 pen),
Mather (82)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Brown (46)

Jacob Adams
Archy Taylor Cole Brown
Alex Fisher Dan Wishart
Zak Brown Keano Robinson
Bernie Tanner © Charlie Wassmer
Louis Birch © Jerry Wiltshire
Ollie Knight Sanmi Odelusi
Rudy Allen Amos Nasha
Jasper Mather Moses Emmanuel
Herson Alves Mo Bettamer
George Frith Paul Hodges
Tom Read (for Allen, 54) Cameron Black
Connor Lee Ayo Faniyan (for Nasha, 83)
Josh Keeya (for Frith, 77) Luke Brophy
Harry Taylor (for Read, 90+2) Manny Adebiyi
Shkyler Burrowes Wilson Carvalho (for Robinson, 46)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com