Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report


Hendon 1
Hayes & Yeading Utd 2


Despite an increasing injury list, Hayes & Yeading came home from Silver Jubilee Park with maximum points from a 2-1 victory which saw Paul Hughes’ side maintain their unbeaten League record against the Greens.

In changes from the starting XI at Weston-super-Mare, Cole Brown came in at right-back with Paul Field moving to the centre of the defence in place of the injured Josh Lelan while Reece Cole came in for Sanmi Odelusi who was unavailable due to business commitments.

The home side were to create the first chance of the game in just the second minute when a defensive slip allowed Shaun Lucien to take possession, he played the ball to Liam Brooks but his shot was to clip the post and go wide of the target.

In the ninth minute the home side broke the deadlock when a corner kick was fired to the far post from the right and Dave Diedhiou rose highest to head home.

A first opening for United came in the 17th minute when Moses Emmanuel was played through but his shot under challenge from Guri Demuria was easy dealt with by Hafed Al Droubi in the Greens goal.

Just before the half hour mark the hosts went close to doubling their lead. An initial shot was blocked in the United box, the ball ran to Nico Muir but his effort was well saved by Simon Grant and the follow-up was blocked out for a corner despite vehement appeals from the home players for a penalty for handball.

The corner was cleared comfortably this time and United moved forwards looking for a strike of their own which saw Amos Nasha played through on goal, despite him being cleanly tackled as he went to shoot, the loose ball was collected by Adam Liddle and a subsequent trip by a Hendon defender saw the referee point straight to the spot. Emmanuel stepped up and confidently beat Al Droubi from 12 yards to level the game with his 18th of the season.

Five minutes later the game had been turned on its head as Nasha was brought crashing to the ground 30 yards out by Diedhiou who somehow avoided being cautioned. Reece Cole stepped up and fired the ball right into the top corner despite Al Droubi getting a touch to it the back of the net rippled and United were in front.

Soon after the hosts played in a free-kick from the left that Grant only managed to punch vertically however his defence helped by scrambling the ball to safety and then in stoppage time another Hendon corner was met by Diedhiou, this time Grant was able to touch the ball over and with the corner coming to nothing United went in a goal to the good at the break.

An enforced United substitution at half-time, with Nasha unable to continue after being flattened late in the first half, saw a welcome return to action for Jean-Baptiste Fischer.

An early attack apiece saw shots blocked wide, firstly by United from Lucien and then by the Greens skipper Joe White from a Liddle effort after Al Droubi had saved a Charlie Wassmer header.

As we arrived at the three quarter mark in the game a brace of United openings came forth, firstly Emmanuel cut in from the right and shot only to see his effort hit the side netting off the outside of the post and within a minute a similar chance for Cole was deflected wide after he had been fed the ball by Roger James.

With fifteen minutes left to play, former United man Rohdell Gordon sent over a deep free-kick that again found Diedhiou but his header was off target this time. Six minutes later United almost had a third when substitute Jamie Hanlon played a smart ball over the Greens defence, Emmanuel got to the ball before the on-coming Al Droubi and lobbed it goalwards only for former United defender Keano Robinson to chase back and clear the effort off the line.

Four minutes of normal time remained and Robinson almost had one at the other end for the Greens, a free-kick into the United area dropped nicely to Robinson who was denied by a sharp Grant save with the follow-up appearing to strike the upright before being hacked to safety.

The final minute saw United go close again as Emmanuel superbly pulled down a high centre, his shot was blocked to Liddle who saw his low shot glance wide off the outside of the post.

In stoppage time United found themselves deep into the Hendon half wide on the right, Hanlon skipped past a defender on the by-line and was just about to pull the ball back into the danger area when he was clattered from behind with the referee waving play-on despite vehement appeals from the away support for a penalty. The assistant however continued to flag with the referee finally stopping play to talk to him with United in possession. While all and sundry expected the result to be the award of a penalty, for reasons best known to the man with the whistle he gave an uncontested drop-ball to the Hendon 'keeper.

United however saw out the strangely hefty amount of stoppage time to seal a victory that pushes Paul Hughes’ side up to eighth in the table as we approach the business end of the season.

Report by Kevin Watts.


Hayes & Yeading United
Hafed Al Droubi
Half-Time: 1 - 2

Full-Time: 1 - 2

Referee: Mr M Fletcher

Attendance: 214


Diedhiou (9)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Emmanuel (30 pen)
Cole (35)

Simon Grant
Dave Diedhiou Cole Brown
Lucas Perry Cameron Green
Arthur Iontton Reece Cole
Keano Robinson © Charlie Wassmer
Guri Demuria Paul Field
Shaun Lucien Roger James
Solomon Sambou Amos Nasha
Joe White © Moses Emmanuel
Nico Muir Adam Liddle
Liam Brooks Taylor Miles
Tom Jackson (for Demuria) Danny Green
Hamilton Antonio Jamie Hanlon (for James, 77)
Frank Keita Ryan Cassidy
Giovanni Palmer (for Perry, 56) Josh Lelan
Rohdell Gordon (for Lucien, 56) Jean-Baptiste Fischer (for Nasha, 46)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table