Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report

Yate Town FC

Yate Town  1
Hayes & Yeading Utd 3


Hayes & Yeading stay top of the pile as the only side with a 100% record but only after a second half comeback against a tough Yate Town side at the South West Interiors Stadium.

Having seemingly taken forever to get to the game due to closures on the M4, United appeared a little sluggish early on and were put under a great deal of pressure by the also unbeaten home side.

United needed Jack Smith to be at his most alert in just the 12th minute as Ricardo Rees collected the ball on the left side of the United area and moved across the eighteen yard line to make space for a shot on goal, his effort deflected off skipper Liam McDevitt who was attempting a block and still flew goalwards and would have opened the scoring but for a fine reaction stop from Smith who pushed the effort away to safety.

A minute later Yate's man-mountain in midfield Matt Bower tried his luck from fully 30 yards, the effort being deflected over the United crossbar. The subsequent corner kick was met by David Sims-Burgess at the far post, his headed attempt seeing the ball come back into play off the United post before being scrambled away to safety.

With United not venturing forwards with any authority thus far, it came as no surprise on 21 minutes when the Bluebells took a deserved lead, Sims-Burgess rising highest to head home a Joshua Raynes cross from the right side.

Almost straight from the re-start United could have had a quick fire equaliser as Francis Amartey collected the ball in the Yate area only for his effort to be blocked away by Andrew Hannah in the home goal with the follow-up being scrambled off the line.

The hosts again went close on 27 minutes when a free-kick from midfield was met by Bower, who must be 6'8", he picked out Rees but he headed across Smith's goal and wide of the far post with the same player seeing a low driven shot held by Smith just a few minutes later.

United then started to look in earnest for the equaliser. Excellent work on the right by Amos Nasha set up a shooting chance for Omar Rowe but Hannah was equal to it and this was quickly followed by Hassan Jalloh moving across the edge of the Bluebells area before unleashing a shot that Hannah did well to push away.

Jalloh saw three more shots in fairly quick succession saved by Hannah before the home side struck the woodwork again, this time a corner by Joe Tumelty bouncing over off the top of the United crossbar.

Stoppage time saw United's neatest move of the half as Jalloh and Moses Emmanuel exchanged passes with the former seeing his shot go just the wrong side of the post and the half closed with Yate a goal to the good.

Not sure what words the Gaffer had at half time but United looked a different animal after the break. Just five minutes in Amartey collected a pass and threaded the ball left to Rowe, his drive being blocked wide by Sam Turl with the subsequent corner coming to nothing.

Five minutes later United were level however as Jordan Norville-Williams raced onto a pass on the left flank, his instant cross seeing Amartey fly in to place a diving header past Hannah and equilibrium was restored and just a few seconds later Amartey could have had a second when a long ball lofted forwards was totally missed by a Bluebells defender and with the ball dropping to Amartey he shot quickly but was too high on this occasion.

On 61 minutes though the United goal machine was in full swing once more. Amartey collecting the ball on the right side, he played it inside to Emmanuel whose instant touch to the left found Jalloh who beat his marker before firing past Hannah to put United ahead.

With the visitors still pushing for another, Emmanuel fired over after good work on the right from Keano Robinson and Jalloh and number three arrived soon after. With 74 minutes on the clock, Jalloh took possession on the left and pulled the ball back to Nasha just outside the box, his first time strike with the outside of his boot flying past Hannah into the bottom corner of the hosts net.

Four minutes later it was United's turn to find the woodwork, Emmanuel and Amartey combined to create an opening for Jalloh, his shot came back off the post, struck Hannah in the back and rolled away from goal when it could just have easily gone back into the stopper's net.

The final chance of the game went the way of the home side when substitute Joshua Allen tried his luck from range with a dipping effort that turned into catching practise for Smith and United closed the game out with a hard working 3-1 victory maintaining the 100% start to the campaign. 

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Lisa Corbett.

United Man of the Match: Amos Nasha.


Yate Town
Hayes & Yeading United
Andrew Hannah
Half-Time: 1 - 0

Full-Time: 1 - 3

Referee: Mr M Rushton

Attendance: 227


Yate Town:
Sims-Burgess (21)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Amartey (55)
Jalloh (61)
Nasha (74)

Jack Smith
Sam Turl Keano Robinson
Will Tunnicliff Jordan Norville-Williams
Nick Rhodes © Amos Nasha
Liam Angel © Liam McDevitt
Matt Bower Ben Frempah
Joshua Raynes Sanmi Odelusi
Joe Tumelty Omar Rowe
David Sims-Burgess Moses Emmanuel 
Ricardo Rees Francis Amartey
Joe Hall Hassan Jalloh
Andy Lewis Romey Meoded
- Lewis Lavin
Joshua Allen (for Raynes, 80) Jamie Hanlon (for Odelusi, 81)
Stuart Fleetwood (for Rees, 71) Adam Cash (for Robinson, 73)
Olly Mehew (for Hall, 80) Rico Greco (for Hanlon, 85)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com