Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report

Heybridge Swifts

Heybridge Swifts 2
Hayes & Yeading Utd 2

H&YUFC win 4-1 on pens

Hayes & Yeading clung onto their unbeaten start and pushed it to 18 games however Paul Hughes' side needed an 89th minute Moses Emmanuel equaliser and a perfect set of penalties to see off Isthmian North Division side Heybridge Swifts in Essex on a chilly end of October afternoon in this Buildbase FA Trophy tie.

United started well on the fairly newly laid 3G pitch at Scraley Road and with four minutes played Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick rolled a corner kick to Hassan Jalloh on the right hand corner of the Swifts box, his driven shot being tipped over by home stopper Callum Chaffer.

Within a minute United were ahead though as Sanmi Odelusi played in a perfect centre from the the right that saw Ben Frempah rise highest to head home his first United goal giving Chaffer no chance.

Minutes later another opening for United saw Odelusi fire the ball across the field to Keano Robinson who headed on to Moses Emmanuel, the striker striking for goal but his angled effort was well handled by Chaffer.

United continued to hold the balance of possession as the half played through, Jack Connors played a nice ball down the left channel to Francis Amartey who cut into the hosts area and unleashed a shot that looked to be heading for the near top corner only for Chaffer to tip the effort over the crossbar.

A second almost came, and possibly should have in the 38th minute. Amartey turned past Archie McFadden on the left and out ran the defender only for his shot to be deflected into the side netting. From the resultant corner kick Robinson rose highest but headed wide of the target when well placed.

Three minutes later a second goal of the match came, surprisingly for the Swifts with what was their first effort on target in the match. McFadden broke on the right wing, his cross saw two United defenders attempt a headed clearance but the ball only went as far as Lionel Ainsworth who bounced his volley into the ground and beyond Tyla Dickinson in the United goal.

Buoyed by levelling the scores, the hosts could have had another two minutes later when hesitation in the United defence allowed Andy Fennell to break clear but having moved left he fired across the United goal with the ball going out for a throw-in and the half closed out with the two sides level at 1-1.

In a reverse of many United games this season, it was the home side who started the better after the break and with just two minutes played Fennell worked space for himself on the left corner of the area but his shot was easily fielded by Dickinson.

Three minutes later Fennell wasted a golden chance to put his side ahead, having broke clear of the offside trap he duly rounded Dickinson's dive and with Liam McDevitt chasing to the goalline the Swifts striker rushed his effort and fired wide of a virtually unguarded goal.

Just beyond the hour mark another chance came and went for Fennell, this time he moved into the box from the left but took the ball too near to Dickinson who was able to block his shot wide of the goal.

With just under 20 minutes left on the watch United finally created a second half opening when Amartey laid the ball off to Jalloh who saw his low drilled shot handled confidently by Chaffer.

With eight minutes left that man Fennell again broke through the United ranks only to fire weakly straight at Dickinson but his side were to take the lead three minutes later as Ainsworth fired in a corner from the left that was met by a flying Swifts skipper Joe Claridge who powered his header into the United net to put an upset very much on the cards.

Paul Hughes then played his final throw of the dice with young Tyler Goodrham replacing defender McDeviit and just four minutes after coming on the Oxford United loanee sent Connors away on the left, his pinpoint centre was met in the middle by Emmanuel who headed home his tenth of the season to bring United back from the brink.

Goodrham was not finished there though as we entered stoppage time a surging run towards the Swifts area saw him brought down by a crunching Darren Phillips tackle that referee Harvey deemed dangerous and a straight red card was shown to the Swifts defender.

After treatment Goodrham took charge of the free-kick himself, firing the ball around the wall only for Chaffer to dive full stretch to his left to push the effort to safety and off to penalties we went.

The first three kicks were succesful which saw United lead 2-1, Swifts second kick was fired a long way wide of the goal before Connors netted United's third. Jason Mason stepped up for the hosts third only to be thwarted by a fine Dickinson save which left Odelusi to fire home a perfect fourth for United and it's Paul Hughes' side that will be in the draw on Monday.

This was a tough outing and we wish Heybridge all the best for the remainder of the season.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Man of the Match: Jack Connors.


Heybridge Swifts
Hayes & Yeading United
Callum Chafer
Half-Time: 1 - 1

Full-Time: 2 - 2

Penalties: 1 - 4

Referee: Mr T Harvey

Attendance: 293


Heybridge Swifts:
Ainsworth (41)
Claridge (85)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Frempah (5)
Emmanuel (89)

Tyla Dickinson
Archie McFadden Keano Robinson
Joe Claridge © Jack Connors
Adam Topley Amos Nasha
Chris Gregan © Liam McDevitt
Darren Phillips Ben Frempah
Darius Ghinea Sanmi Odelusi
Jason Mason Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick
Andy Fennell Moses Emmanuel
Jack Adlington-Pile Francis Amartey
Lionel Ainsworth Hassan Jalloh
Dan Walker Dinesh Gillela (for Hippolyte-Patrick, 58)
Bradley Davison Jack Smith
Shemarie Perkins-Palmer Scott Shulton (for Nasha, 58)
Alex Stephenson (for Claridge, 90) Tyler Goodrham (for McDevitt, 86)
Jeremy Arthur -
Manny N'Daw -
Toib Adeyemi (for Ghinea, 90+5) -
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com