Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report

Gosport Borough

Gosport Borough 0
Hayes & Yeading Utd 1


Hayes & Yeading undertook the second of three long trips in eight days with a Wednesday evening visit to Gosport Borough and just like Swindon Supermarine a few days earlier, United returned home with three points and a clean sheet with Saturday's visit to Truro City next on the agenda.

This one was a little closer than the previous game at Swindon however one thing that did match was that United took the lead in the sixth minute. With the hosts having the bulk of the possession in the first five minutes, United got the ball forwards and when home stopper Bert White allowed Moses Emmanuel to block his delayed clearance from a back-pass, the United striker walked home his 22nd of the season.

Just a few minutes later Emmanuel could have had a second when a deep cross from the left was met on the volley by the striker but his effort was deflected wide by the Gosport defence.

Despite the home side having the bulk of the possession, the United back-line were holding firm with a first real touch for Ravan Constable coming in the 18th minute when Andrew Sealy-Harris but in from the right and tried his luck from 20 yards but the shot provided a standard catch for the United ‘keeper.

The final ten minutes of the half threw up a chance apiece in quick succession. For United Emmanuel again blocked a defensive clearance and as he ran towards goal the on-coming White seemed reluctant to challenge him as it was outside the box, the ball ran through the ‘keepers legs and he will be grateful to his covering defenders who cleared the danger before Emmanuel could reach the ball.

Play instantly switched to the other end and found its way to the dangerous Mason Walsh on the left wing, his cross was deflected into the path of Luke Hallett but his shot was weak and straight at Constable who grasped it thankfully on the ground and the half closed with United a goal ahead.

The second half was to be a much more even affair possession wise after the hosts definitely saw the bulk of the ball in the first 45. A half-time change for United saw Scott Donnelly, who had a couple of chunks kicked out of him in the first half, replaced by Amos Nasha in the United midfield.

Just five minutes after the re-start Harris-Sealy broke away on the right wing, his driven cross to the near post going way over the top off the knee of Harvey Rew in what was probably the hosts best chance of the match thus far.

Soon after a smart pass sent Emmanuel through on goal, he advanced into the area and fired a shot that White did well to palm away to safety but within a minute United again had the ball in the Gosport box, this time Emmanuel collected on the right and played the ball inside to Elis Watts who made space for a shot but drove the ball well wide of the target.

United continued to push for a second, Kadell Daniel played a free-kick to the far post where Charlie Wassmer powered a header at goal only for White to push it away before the Gosport defence scrambled the ball clear and soon after Emmanuel moved into the box again from the right but his effort was just too high to trouble White.

Just beyond the hour mark Wassmer fired the ball right to Watts and he in turn found Francis Amartey who saw his drive from the edge of the area go just wide of the far post and it remained a slender 1-0 advantage for United and shortly after the home side had a good chance to pull level when a deep free-kick picked out Hallett but he headed wide at the far post.

Wassmer then got his head to a Watts corner but White swallowed the effort comfortably and with a minute to go United lost a key player when Sanmi Odelusi had to leave the field on a stretcher to be replaced by Jack Connors.

We now entered seven minutes of additional time and with two minutes of that remaining Amartey collected the ball in his own half and set off towards White’s goal leaving defenders in his wake, he reached the edge of the Gosport box but unfortunately his dipping shot didn’t quite come down quickly enough and the ball flew just over the crossbar.

There was still time for the hosts who really should have scored with the last kick of the game when a corner dropped to a Dan Wooden six yards from goal, his effort being superbly blocked wide by a combination of Constable and Daniel and referee Barber soon brought the game to a close and United brought the points back to Middlesex.

Report by Kevin Watts.


Gosport Borough
Hayes & Yeading United
Bert White
Half-Time: 0 - 1

Full-Time: 0 - 1

Referee: Mr P Barber

Attendance: 487


Gosport Borough:

Hayes & Yeading United:
Emmanuel (6)

Ravan Constable
Harry Kavanagh Cole Brown
Rory Williams Jordan Norville-Williams
Mike Carter © Charlie Wassmer
Josh Huggins © Liam McDevitt
Matthew Briggs Sanmi Odelusi
Mason Walsh Scott Donnelly
Luke Hallett Kadell Daniel
Dan Wooden Moses Emmanuel
Andrew Harris-Sealy Francis Amartey
Harvey Rew Elis Watts
Bradley Tarbuck (for Walsh, 78) Ben Frempah
Billie Busari (for Harris-Sealy, 66) Jack Williams
Ryan Pennery (for Rew, 85) Jack Connors (for Odelusi, 89)
Mat Paterson Amos Nasha (for Donnelly, 46)
Ryan Woodford Marcel Elva-Fountaine
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com