Hayes & Yeading United

First Team

Match Report

Dorking Wanderers

Dorking Wanderers 2
Hayes & Yeading United 2


Hayes & Yeading United and Dorking Wanderers both find themselves in the hat for tomorrow's Emirates FA Cup First Round Proper draw after the two sides battled to a 2-2 draw at the Meadowbank Stadium meaning a Tuesday evening replay at the SKYex is required to see who progresses and extends United's unbeaten start to 14 games.

Both sides were to create early openings on the hosts artificial playing surface with Dorking going close in just the fourth minute when Matt Briggs charged forwards into the United box, his drive flew across the face of the United goal and marginally wide of the far post.

A few moments later at the other end a long ball from United's debutant 'keeper Tyla Dickinson was well controlled by Francis Amartey who fed it left to Tyler Goodrham but his 18 yard effort was held by veteran home stopper Stuart Nelson.

In the 18th minute Omar Rowe played a free-kick to Amos Nasha who cut inside and tried his luck from the edge of the box but Nelson was equal to the effort and then just three minutes later the hosts went ahead in fine style. Josh Taylor and Nicky Wheeler combined on the left before the ball was fired across the park to Briggs who took a touch on the righthand corner of the United area before unleashing an unstoppable shot that flew past Dickinson into the top corner of the net giving the 'keeper no chance.

Just before the half hour mark the hosts had the ball in the net again when skipper Barry Fuller poked the ball over the line following a 6 yard box scramble only for referee Whaley to disallow the effort for a foul as the initial corner kick arrived in the box.   

Soon after Briggs could have had another as Luke Moore sprayed the ball out to him again on the right of the United box, he cut inside but this time Dickinson was equal to him and pushed the shot around the post.

United closed the half out on the front foot, Rowe had a low 20 yard effort comfortably saved by Nelson and a minute later the same player set up a shooting chance for Moses Emmanuel, Nelson allowed the striker's shot to squirm under his body and as the ball was chased towards the goal by Amartey, however Briggs was again on hand, this time to clear the ball off his own goalline.

The final chance of the half saw Rowe send Amartey through but his shot was rushed and flew over the Dorking goal and the half closed with United a goal in arrears.

Just 30 seconds after the re-start a long Dickinson kick was collected by Goodrham who turned into the hosts area only for his shot to be well defended and blocked wide. Minutes later that man Briggs, who was proving to be a real thorn in the United defence's side, hit another drive that Jordan Norville-Williams did well to get his head in the way of to send the ball over the goal. The resultant corner was met by Fuller but easily held by Dickinson.

As has happened many times already this season, United wiped out the deficit shorty after play had resumed, in this case on 50 minutes as Dinesh Gillela ran through the middle of the park and played the ball right where it was helped on to Amos Nasha and he took a touch and fired across Nelson into the far corner of the Dorking net for his fourth FA Cup goal of the campaign.

With the sides now level, both teams started pushing for the lead. Moore fired over a corner for the hosts that Ed Harris headed wide at the far post and almost immediately at the opposite end Keano Robinson headed a deep free-kick down to Emmanuel who saw his shot well blocked by Nelson with the loose ball being hacked clear.

On the hour Bobby Joe Taylor tried his luck direct from a free-kick on the righthand corner of the United area, Dickinson reacting well to tip the shot over at full stretch and then seven minutes later United took the lead for the first time when Amartey collected the ball in the left channel and raced into the Doking box before smashing a shot past Nelson and just inside the near post.

In the 73rd minute United could have had a third when Goodrham broke away from his own half and played the ball left to Emmanuel, his shot was blocked and play immediately switched ends with Briggs racing to the bye-line before pulling the ball across to Alfie Rutherford who arrived with perfect timing to slide the ball past Dickinson and we were all square once again. 

A 77th minute chance for the hosts was the last real close call for breaking the deadlock, Moore's deep free-kick from the left was scrambled against the far post of the United goal before being played out to Briggs whose cross into the middle was met by James McShane but his header was straight at Dickinson who held easily.

With little incident in the final 15 minutes despite the hosts having a number of dead ball chances to create an opening, the United goal was not really troubled nor was the Dorking goal at the other end for that matter and we now go again in Middlesex on Tuesday evening.   

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Man of the Match: Keano Robinson.


Dorking Wanderers
Hayes & Yeading United
Stuart Nelson
Half-Time: 1 - 0

Full-Time: 2 - 2

Referee: Mr M Whaley

Attendance: 993


Dorking Wanderers:
Briggs (21)
Rutherford (74)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Nasha (50)
Amartey (67)

Tyla Dickinson
Bobby Joe Taylor Dinesh Gillela
Ed Harris Jordan Norville-Williams
Niall McManus Amos Nasha
Matt Briggs Keano Robinson
Alfie Rutherford Ben Frempah
James McShane © Sanmi Odelusi
Nicky Wheeler Omar Rowe
Josh Taylor Moses Emmanuel
 Luke Moore Francis Amartey
Barry Fuller © Tyler Goodrham
Sami El-Abd Liam McDevitt (for Robinson, 87)
Jimmy Muitt (for Wheeler, 60) Jack Smith
Callum Kennedy Scott Shulton (for Nasha, 83)
Josh Wilson Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick (for Goodrham, 74)
Dan Gallagher (for McManus, 46) Jack Connors
Callum Kealy (for B Taylor, 74) Hassan Jalloh
- Romey Meoded
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com