Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Wealdstone 6
Hayes & Yeading Utd


In what was always going to be a tough ask for Paul Hughes’ side, the cause was not helped as injury and illness meant only four of the side that had started Saturday’s Southern League victory retained their place in the starting XI against the high flying National League South leaders Wealdstone who also made seven changes from their victory on Saturday.

A quick start from United saw a first minute Dylan Switters effort from 20 yards being fielded by Stones on-loan ‘keeper Harvey Isted but sadly five minutes later after turning his ankle in the turf Switters was forced to leave the field to be replaced by Scott Donnelly.

Another opening for United came shortly after as Aaron McCreadie fed Hassan Jalloh just outside the Stones area, again the 20 yard shot was dealt with comfortably by Isted.

United back-up ‘keeper Andrew McCorkell was called into action on 13 minutes when Billy Clifford and the ever dangerous Fumnaya Shomotun combined on the right side, the latter’s deep centre being headed goalwards by Ashley Charles but McCorkell was on hand to hold the midfielders effort.

Just two minutes later McCorkell was injured in a heavy collision with former United loanee Dejon Noel-Williams as the striker bundled the ball home only for it to be ruled out for handball. McCorkell however stayed down for a while and after treatment played on but was clearly hampered by a leg injury that restricted his mobility in the United goal.

Shomotun raced at the United area on 21 minutes before screwing his shot wide but just four minutes later the hosts took the lead when Connor Smith collected the ball on the right side, his square lay off fell perfectly to Danny Green who smashed the ball into the top corner from 20 yards out giving the somewhat immobile McCorkell no chance.

Five minutes later United were a fraction away from levelling the tie, Toby Little found space on the left before feeding the ball inside to Jalloh who saw his shot deflect inches over the Stones goal.

Two goals for the hosts in the space of four minutes shortly after virtually ended the game as a contest however. First to strike was Shomotun who collected the ball in the left channel, advanced in-field and danced past two challenges before firing perfectly into the bottom corner of the United net.

Next to get his name on the scoresheet was Clifford who collected a Green lay off before slotting the ball beyond McCorkell from the edge of the box.

On the stroke of half-time it was four as Noel-Williams caught United in possession and ran at the United area before smashing the ball home from 18 yards to give the hosts a 4-0 advantage at the break.

Despite being four goals adrift, United came out with a positive attitude, which is what we expect from a Paul Hughes side, and just seven minutes after the re-start United had clawed one back. Omar Rowe collected the ball in the middle of the park and turned upfield before sliding the ball neatly through to James Clark who coolly clipped it beyond Isted.

Less than a minute later, with his mobility still restricted by the earlier injury, McCorkell did well to tip wide a drive by Stones substitute Jacob Mendy Mendy and just a couple of minutes later Nick Arnold collected the ball wide on the right and found Clifford in the middle but this time he fired over from 10 yards out.

On the hour United almost reduced the arrears further with Rowe finding Clark once more, a composed touch and drive from the United striker was grabbed by Isted at the second attempt after spilling the initial shot.

Chances continued to come for the home side however, Arnold drove the ball inches over from the edge of the box before Green went even closer, his 25 yard dipping shot cannoning back off the United crossbar to safety although just a couple of minutes later the crossbar at the other end got in United’s way as Jalloh’s 20 yard drive struck the woodwork before coming back to him but his effort on the rebound was just wide of the target.

With ten minutes to go the home side finally added a fifth as substitute Eric Lopes raced into the United area on the left to fire past McCorkell from six yards out and then three minutes later Noel-Williams was the lucky recipient of an attempted clearance right in front of goal and he made no mistake, again smashing the ball into the roof of the United net.

Still United continued to play forwards, Isted caught a glancing Clark header right on his post, this was followed quickly by a fine save by McCorkell who tipped over a fierce Arnold drive before United went straight down the other end and secured a second consolation as Rowe collected the ball in the box, beat his marker and fired past Isted.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Man of the Match: James Clark.

Hayes & Yeading United
Harvey Isted
Half-Time: 4-0

Full-Time: 6-2

Referee: Mr D Simpson

Attendance: 114


Green (25)
Shomotun (33)
Clifford (36)
Noel-Williams (45 & 83)
Lopes (80)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Clark (52)
Rowe (88)
Andrew McCorkell
Nick Arnold
Gabriel Piorkowski
William Edjenguele
Johnville Renee
Billy Clifford
Keano Robinson
Connor Stevens
© Liam McDevitt
Daniel Matsuzaka
Aaron McCreadie
Ashley Charles
Dylan Switters
Connor Smith
Omar Rowe
Dejon Noel-Williams
James Clark
Danny Green ©
Hassan Jalloh
Fumnaya Shomotun
Toby Little
Jack Jebb
Ogo Obi (for McCreadie, 66)
Lewis Everett
Jacob Mendy Mendy (for Edjenguele, 46)
Scott Donnelly (for Switters, 6)
Eric Lopes (for Clifford, 69)
Elliott Sartorius (for Charles, 69)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy