Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 0
Truro City 1
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video

Hayes & Yeading took on table topping Truro City at the SKYex on Saturday afternoon and will consider themselves unlucky to have seen all three points sail away back to Cornwall with the visitors.

Manager Paul Hughes made two changes to the side that won so handsomely at Hartley Wintney seven days earlier, Ogo Obi came in for injury victim Hassan Jalloh and a fit again Jake Sheppard came in for Scott Donnelly who dropped to the bench.

The visitors were quickly out of the box and were almost gifted a sixth minute opener when Jack Smith presented the ball to Alex Battle just outside his box, the Truro man rolling the ball into the centre where Luke Jephcott blazed over an own goal for six yards out.

Just two minutes later Battle again took the ball into the United box, this time his initial shot was blocked to Jephcott who saw his attempt deflected up onto the top of the crossbar before going over.

On 11 minutes though Jephcott did from 18 yards what he couldn't from six when he latched onto a blocked clearance to smash the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box to give the White Tigers the lead.

United's first opening on 18 minutes saw a Jake Sheppard free-kick pick out Keano Robinson, his header however was held by former United loaned 'keeper James Hamon.

Two minutes later a nice United move saw Jack Williams and Sheppard exchange passes with the former crossing to Johnville Renee at the far post but he miss hit his shot and the visitors defence made the required clearance.

Either side of the half hour mark Smith was called upon but not really to a great extent. Firstly he fielded a 25 yard Battle drive and this was followed but a drive from similar distance, again by Battle, that once again the United stopper held comfortably.

Within a minute Battle had the ball in the net, a United clearance was charged down straight to Battle who rolled the ball home only to be denied by a raised assistant's flag for handball on the original block.

As the half came toward an end it was Battle constantly causing United problems, in the 44th minute he latched onto a Jephcott flick but fired over from 18 yards and then I stoppage time after a Sheppard free-kick had been pushed away by Hamon a quick break saw Battle receive the ball only to fire wide but his side still went in a goal ahead at the interval.

United made a double change of personnel at the break combined with a change of formation as Afolabi Coker and Elliott Buchanan were replaced by Gabriel Piorkowski and James Clark respectively.

Five minutes after the restart a Clark shot was deflected into the path of Ogo Obi who saw his effort deflected wide with Hamon easily claiming the resultant corner kick.

Minutes later United were a fraction away from being level and in the same move reduced to ten men. Omar Rowe did well to beat Ryan Law to the ball on the left of the Truro box, he then picked out Clark who beat Hamon only for his shot to come back off the post before being scrambled clear before a melee off the ball led to referee Jones showing Rowe a straight red card.

The visitors almost immediately tried to push on for a second, a break on the right saw them advance into the United area despite looking well offside, however with no flag being raised play continued and the ball was played square to Jephcott who saw his well struck shot snuffed out by a timely Robinson challenge.

Just past the hour mark the ball was collected in the D by the impressive Niall Thompson, his shot on the turn being tipped over by Smith.

More chances came for the visitors as the game drew towards its conclusion. Battle saw his 20 yard free-kick deflect over off the wall with Smith catching the resulting corner kick and five minutes later a glorious chance went begging as Law collected a deep cross only to blast the ball over Smith's goal.

As the game drifted into stoppage time United's players were convinced they should have been awarded a penalty when substitute Toby Little appeared to have been chopped down as he lined up to fire home only for the appeals to be waved away by referee Jones and it was the visitors who closed out the game with a 1-0 win to take back to the South-West.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Jack Williams.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Truro City
Jack Smith
Half-Time: 0-1

Full-Time: 0-1

Referee: Mr R Jones

Attendance: 237


Hayes & Yeading United:

Truro City:
Jephcott (11)

James Hamon
Johnville Renee
Harrison Davis
Afolabi Coker
Ryan Law
Keano Robinson
© Ed Palmer
Liam McDevitt ©
Harlain Mbayo
Aaron McCreadie
Adel Gafaiti
Jake Sheppard
Niall Thompson
Omar Rowe
Will Dean
Elliott Buchanan
Luke Jephcott
Ogo Obi
Alex Battle
Jack Williams
Ryan Dickson
Toby Little (for McCreadie, 82)
Rio Garside
Gabriel Piorkowski (for Coker, 46)
Stewart Yetton
Scott Donnelly
Ben Musselwhite
James Clark (for Buchanan, 46)
George Tucker
Connor Toomey
Austin Booth (for Dickson, 87)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy