Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Farnborough 0
Hayes & Yeading Utd

Hayes & Yeading bounced back from ending 2019 in disappointing fashion by starting the new decade with maximum points at Farnborough courtesy of a late strike from Ogo Obi that deservedly saw United to victory.

Manager Paul Hughes made five changes to his starting XI with Connor Toomey, Gabriel Piorkowski, Jack Williams and newly signed Manny Duku and Fumnaya Shomotun all coming into the side.

After a fairly even opening few minutes, United started to put pressure on the home defence. In the eighth minute James Clark found Manny Duku on the right side, the returning United striker leaving his marker on his backside before firing the ball in low to Gabriel Piorkowski who saw his curling effort tipped over by 'Borough stopper Liam Beach. The resultant Jake Sheppard corner was met well by Duku but again Beach was in the way, pushing the effort away.

Soon after Beach was again required, this time Sheppard won possession on the edge of the hosts area, his shot was blocked by a defender but only as far as Obi who saw his angled drive fielded by Beach and not too soon after that Obi appeared to be clearly upended in the box only for United's protests to be waved away by referee Small.

A double Beach save on 24 minutes kept the scoresheet blank. Piorkowski won the ball in the middle and found Obi, United's top scorer moving into the area and shooting only to be denied by the boot of Beach, possession was quickly re-established and Obi had the ball again, his angled drive being pushed away by Beach.

Boro's first effort to hit the notebook came on the half hour mark as Andrew Sealey-Harris fed the ball to Jordan Alawode-Williams on the right wing, his attempted cross being deflected back to Sealey-Harris who fired well over from the edge of the box.

Minutes later the home side put together their best move of the first half when a smart interchange between Connor Cullen and Reggie Young on the right side of the United area saw them set up a shooting chance for Bradley Keetch but he also fired too high to trouble Jack Smith in the United goal.

Three minutes from the interval Cullen had the ball in the net for the home side as he ticked home a Seth Owens free-kick at the far post only for a raised offside flag to deny the striker and the half closed out goalless.

United were again quickly on the front foot as Sheppard won the ball by the hosts corner flag, his low drilled cross being turned wide of his own goal by Sean Francis but the resultant corner came to nothing.

Almost an hour had been played as United went close once more when Duku picked up the ball on the right side of the box, his low driven centre just evading Clark in the middle, the ball stayed in play and Clark reclaimed it and crossed, the ball being cleared as far as Piorkowski who saw his volley go inches wide.

Just beyond the hour Smith needed to be at his best keep United level, Sealy-Harris crossed from the right to Cullen, his well struck drive being pushed out by United's number one with the follow-up by Young being blocked wide by Clark.

Minutes later it was the turn of Beach to keep his side level. Callum Buckley twice blocked efforts inside the United box before Paul Hughes' side launched a breakaway through Fumnaya Shomotun, the debutant racing up the right side before cutting inside and unleashing a shot that the home stopper blocked away with an outstretched boot.

With United still in the ascendancy, Sheppard fired over after Clark's shot was blocked by CJ Fearn and a couple of minutes later Duku broke on the left, he played the ball inside to Obi who saw his shot blocked by Beach.

Now inside the final ten and still it was the visitors looking the most likely to break the deadlock. On 82 minutes Sheppard moved into the 'Boro area on the right side, his cross going slightly behind Duku who still got his head to the ball only for Fearn to clear away inside his own six yard box.

Just a minute later the deadlock was deservedly broken by United. After a neat exchange on the left the ball was played inside to Obi, United's top scorer manoeuvring across the box before curling the ball perfectly beyond Beach into the bottom corner.

Two minutes from time Smith was again required, this time to keep United ahead as Sealy-Harris fired off a 20 yard drive that Smith did well to push over.

In stoppage time United were denied a stonewall penalty for the second time in the game, Duku being tugged down just inside the area only for referee Small to award a free-kick outside the area, the kick being played to the corner flag with United comfortably holding out to claim maximum points and a "double" over the Hampshire side after August's 2-0 victory at the SKYex.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Man of the Match: Callum Buckley.

Hayes & Yeading United
Liam Beach
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 0-1

Referee: Mr B Small

Attendance: 343



Hayes & Yeading United:
Obi (83)
Jack Smith
Jordan Alawode-Williams
Jake Sheppard
John Oyenuga
Jack Williams
CJ Fearn
© Keano Robinson
Sean Francis
Callum Buckley
Seth Owens
Connor Toomey
Andrew Sealy-Harris
Gabriel Piorkowski
Tom Leggett ©
James Clark
Connor Cullen
Manny Duku
Bradley Keetch
Ogo Obi
Reggie Young
Fumnaya Shomotun
Bryan Akongo (for Owens, 74)
Joe Weight
Malakai Hinckson-Mars (for Leggett, 89)
Elliott Buchanan
Bernie Tanner
Scott Donnelly (for Obi, 90+1)
Youel Emmanuel
Jamie Hanlon
Daniel Fosu (for Keetch, 90)
Aaron McCreadie (for Toomey, 73)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy