Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 0
Moneyfields 1
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Today's highlights kindly sponsored by JibbaJabbaPods
Hayes & Yeading’s run in the Emirates FA Cup was brought to a halt on Saturday at the SKYex courtesy of a single clinical second half strike from Moneyfields striker Felipe Barcelos just seconds after United thought they had taken the lead when a Roddy Collins header looked to have crossed the line before being cleared.

Manager Paul Hughes made one enforced change to his starting XI that had been beaten by Waltham Abbey the previous week with Ed Asafu-Adjaye returning to the side in place of the suspended Liam McDevitt.

On a wet day in Middlesex, the home side were of and at them quickly and in just the fourth minute a break down the right saw Lewis Toomey collect a Tom Jelley pass, he played the ball inside to Scott Bridges who drove a shot in from the edge of the box that was a whisker wide with Moneys ‘keeper Stephen Mowthorpe staring and hoping the net would not bulge.

Minutes later the visitors saw their first opening just fail to hit the target also as a volleyed centre by Joe Briggs was brought under control by Daniel Woodward but his shot also from 18 yards went just over Jack Smith’s goal.

Almost thirty minutes without either side creating much at all apart from a Little shot with the outside of his boot that forced Mowthorpe into a diving save changed in the final ten minutes as three openings were created in quick succession.

On 34 minutes, Lee Barney and Little exchanged passes with the latter moving through the middle towards the Moneys box, his initial pass was cut out but the ball rolled straight back to the United wing-back who was inches over with a drive from 20 yards. A minute later, a weak Smith clearance was picked off by Briggs who with no ‘keeper between the sticks saw his shot well blocked by the covering Roddy Collins.

The final chance of the half again fell to the home side as Bridges found skipper Scott Donnelly in the Moneys box on the right, his shot from an very acute angle was pushed out by Mowthorpe with referee Bates waving away shouts for a penalty as Donnelly tried to again reach the loose ball before it was cleared and the half ended goalless.

Mowthorpe came to his sides aid ten minutes after the break when Little again broke away down the left side, his centre was nodded back by Bridges to Donnelly who struck a sweet volley that appeared to be heading for the top corner but for an excellent tip over by the Moneys stopper.

Just three minutes later Smith was required at the other end to keep the visitors at bay, Woodward fed Felipe Barcelos in the United six yard box, Smith getting down quickly to block away the strikers effort and keep to game level.

Just before the hour mark Josh Chamberlain and Little combined on the left side giving Little the chance of another cross, this one was met with a glancing Barney header but his effort went the wrong side of the upright.

Six minutes later United’s players and fans alike thought the deadlock had been broken when Collins headed a corner past Mowthorpe only for it to be cleared off the line by Moneys midfielder Jake Raine who appeared to be inside the goal at the time but the officials were adamant the ball did not cross the line and one has to assume they were best placed.

Sadly for United within a minute the visitors struck what was to be a killer blow as Briggs found Barcelos on the right hand corner of the United box, his sweet low strike across Smith struck the base of the post and promptly nestled in the back of the net to give the visitors the lead.

Try as we might an equaliser was not to come sadly, in fact the best two chances of the remainder of the game fell to the visitors. Soon after going ahead, a poor Asafu-Adjaye pass only found Briggs who advanced on goal only to be denied by the sharpness of Smith who was quickly out to block away his shot.

United’s best effort came on 78 minutes when the ball dropped to Little on the left corner of the Moneys area, his volley being palmed down and grabbed by Mowthorpe whose side went close four minutes later when a free-kick was chipped into the United area by Woodward, Sam Pearce headed the ball back into the mix and Dan Wooden beat Smith only for his header to go over off the top of the United crossbar.

Despite a lengthy amount of stoppage time for various injuries and much time wasting, another opening was not forthcoming for United and the Cup run was over for another year.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Toby Little.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Jack Smith
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 0-1

Referee: Mr S Bates

Attendance: 177


Hayes & Yeading United:

Barcelos (66)

Stephen Mowthorpe
Tom Jelley
Tyler Giddings
Toby Little
Conor Bailey
Priestley Farquharson
Jake Raine
Roddy Collins
Curtis Da Costa
Ed Asafu-Adjaye
© Sam Pearce
Scott Donnelly ©
Lloyd Rowlatt
Scott Bridges
Daniel Woodward
Lewis Toomey
Felipe Barcelos
Josh Chamberlain
Joe Briggs
Lee Barney
Dan Wooden
Keano Robinson
Matt Simm (for Woodward, 70)
James Shaw
Brett Poate
Ola Olajubu
George Root
Duncan Culley (for Toomey, 56)
Lewis Fennemore
George Ademiluyi (for Collins, 76)
Gavin Spurway
Great Evans (for Barney, 64)
James Guthrie
Hassan Jalloh
George Gardiner
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy