Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Molesey 2
Hayes & Yeading Utd 3
HYUFC TV - Watch the goals from this match here courtesy of FC Video

The introduction from the bench of Kunle Otudeko proved to be the inspiration that saw an under par United turn defeat into victory at lowly Molesey as Paul Hughes' side scored three times in five minutes to turn a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 lead on a bumpy rock hard pitch in Surrey.

With the sun streaming down n Walton Road, it was the hosts who first worked the 'keeper, Reis Stanislaus firing in a free-kick from 20 yards that was held by Jack Smith after a deflection off the United wall.

Within a minute United worked an opening of their own as a Toby Little throw-in was helped on to Josh Chamberlain, his first time effort from 20 yards out clearing the Moles crossbar.

United's usual fluid passing game was somewhat scuppered by the awful rock hard playing surface but a neat move in the seventeenth minute saw Ed Asafu-Adjaye feed the ball inside to George Bennett who under challenge poked it further right to the on-coming Tom Jelley who saw his 20 yard pile driver miss the upright by a matter of inches.

Just past the halfway point of the half another Chamberlain effort was held comfortably by Moles stopper Alex Kozakis and minutes later Jelley and Bennett combined to set up a shooting chance for Connor Toomey but his effort was too high.

With 32 minutes played the home side unexpectedly took the lead. Tom Windsor found Ryan David who fed former United man Ashley Lodge, his well struck shot was pushed out by Smith to Ashby Charles who was adjudged to have been bundled over in the box with referee Jacquart pointing to the spot. Lodge stepped up with his poorly struck kick finding its way under Smith's dive.

One chance for United was all the rest of the half could muster, Mitchal Gough's fiercely struck free-kick from 25 yards out being spilled and grabbed at the second attempt by Kozakis.

United gaffer Paul Hughes made a change during the break with top scorer Lee Barney replacing Bennett as United looked to pull things around.

Eight minutes after the re-start Mitchal Gough got his head to a Little free-kick but the diving Kozakis held his effort before firing the ball upfield to Stanislaus who blazed the ball high and wide under pressure from United defender George Spiers.

Just after the hour mark United were given a bigger mountain to climb when the Moles scored a second, Charles volleying home in the centre after a well struck cross from Windsor.

Soon after, Paul Hughes made what turned into a perfect substitution as Kunle Otudeko replaced Chamberlain and indeed within six minutes he had reduced the arrears. A ball in from the left was laid off by Little to Otudeko who took a touch before firing into the top corner with Kozakis unable to keep it out despite getting his fingertips to the ball.

Within a minute United were level and again Otudeko was the inspiration as he collected the ball on the right and moved infield, despite being fouled he managed to get the ball to Barney who played in Elliot Benyon and with referee Jacquart playing an excellent advantage, the United striker slipped the ball through the legs of Kozakis into the Moles net (above left & right).

The hosts were almost ahead again a minute later when Charles received the ball on the left, his shot was blocked out as was the follow up effort but two minutes later the ball was once again in the Moles net. Barney collected a pass and helped the ball on to Benyon, his touch picked out Little (below) who fired past Kozakis and a defender on the line as the United wing-back netted his 23rd of the season and also saw him equal Josh Scott's club all time scoring record, this being his 40th club goal.

The final few minutes saw more chances but no further goals. Gough saw a drive from distance deflected wide, the resultant corner was played to Otudeko on the edge of the box, his effort drawing a fine diving save from Kozakis who pushed the ball around the post.

Stoppage time saw the hosts go close to a leveller as Ross Chalke tried his luck from the edge of the box, his initial effort squirming away from Smith who thankfully reacted quick enough to grab the ball before it crossed the line.

The final chance fell to the irrepressible Little who saw his free-kick from the right touch line go across the six yard box and inches wide of the far post as United secured what had looked like an unlikely three points twenty minutes from time.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Montimagemedia ©.

United Man of the Match: Elliot Benyon.

Hayes & Yeading United
Alex Kozakis
Half-Time: 1-0

Full-Time: 2-3

Referee: Mr Z Jacquart

Attendance: 107


Lodge (32 pen)
Charles (62)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Otudeko (74)
Benyon (75)
Little (78)
Jack Smith
Ryan David
Tom Jelley
Chevron McLean
Toby Little
Ashley Lodge
George Spiers
Sacha M'Baye
Mitchal Gough
Chris Wales ©
© Ed Asafu-Adjaye
Tom Windsor
George Bennett
Ryan Marklew
Nathan Webb
Reis Stanislaus
Elliot Benyon
Ashby Charles
Connor Toomey
Nic Osbourne
Josh Chamberlain
Ross Chalke (for Windsor, 84)
Chid Onokwai
Anthony Kozakis
Lee Barney (for Bennett, 46)
Dre Grobler (for Stanislaus, 81)
Scott Bridges
Joe Yeates
Kunle Otudeko (for Chamberlain, 69)
Craig Lewington
Joe Wilson
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy