Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 0
Marlow 2
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Today's highlights kindly sponsored by JibbaJabbaPods

United finally dropped points at home after 14 straight wins as Marlow came to the SKYex and took away all three points much as they had at Oaktree Road in November which was United's last loss in the league followed by an unbeaten 24 match run, the blow was however softened with defeat also for second placed Bracknell Town away at Hanwell.

With a strong crosswind blowing this game started off in a somewhat cagey fashion with both sides sizing each other up with little in the way of goalmouth action in the opening fifteen minutes.

The first chance of the game fell to United as Toby Little collected the ball and took aim from 20 yards out, his shot going through the hands of 'keeper Simon Grant who got enough on the shot to take it onto the crossbar with the rebound being cleared as far as Ashley Smith on the right side, his cross was met by Elliot Benyon at the near post but he flicked the ball into the side netting.

A minute later United were given a prime chance to take the initiative as Ashley Smith and Benyon exchanged passes, the former crossing to Lee Barney who saw his goalbound header strike a defenders arm and referee Begley pointed to the spot. Skipper Scott Donnelly took the kick only for Grant to guess correctly and push the strike around the post.

Another lull followed with the next opening coming ten minutes from the break when the visitors really should have taken the lead. Tristan Campbell fired in a corner kick from the right, Adam Richards headed the ball towards the far post where Chris Ovenden scooped the ball over from 4 yards out.

Just three minutes later however Marlow were ahead when former United man Kameron English collected the ball in the United box and fired past Jack Smith on the turn.

In stoppage time United came extremely close to going in level when a Little free-kick caused chaos in the Marlow six-yard box with the ball finally running to Liam McDevitt beyond the far post where he saw his bouncing shot pushed over by Grant. The resultant Donnelly corner fell nicely to Little who fired through a crowd only to again find the outstanding figure of Grant in the way as he blocked out the effort and immediately the whistle went for half-time.

The visitors went for it early in the second half with English collecting the ball from the re-start and with just 20 seconds played his shot from distance went just wide of the upright.

Minutes later United were given another boost when a rash tackle on Ashley Smith by former United youngster Isaac Olorunfemi was deemed reckless by referee Begley and this led to the defender being shown a straight red card and the visitors were reduced to ten men.

Soon after McDevitt headed a Smith centre over the bar for United and then with just over an hour played the visitors scored a second against the run of play when English cut in from the right before firing under Jack Smith from an acute angle.

What followed was 30+ minutes of fairly solid United pressure without managing to break through the visitors defence which was headed by a superb performance from former United youth 'keeper Simon Grant who kept out everything thrown at him.

Just past the midway mark in the half Bridges fired wide from range and a couple of minutes later Grant was in action, diving to tip a 30 yard Donnelly effort around the post. Five minutes later he was again "in the way" as United substitute Chid Onokwai ran into the box, Grant blocked out us initial effort and then as Donnelly played the ball back in the United striker's header was just off target.

Chance after chance came and went for Paul Hughes' side. Bridges chipped the ball into the box to Onokwai who saw his header drop onto the roof of the net and a minute later Little raced in from the left only for his angled drive to be blocked away by Grant.

United had two golden chances in the dying minutes, both from Ashley Smith crosses, the first being swept wide by an unmarked Bridges and minutes later the defender picked out Duncan Culley at the far post only for the striker's header to go the wrong side of the post.

The final chance came in stoppage time as Ed Asafu-Adjaye ran at the box and let fly from 18 yards, Grant grabbing the ball at the second attempt and the 24 game unbeaten run along with the 100% home record both came to an abrupt halt however United still remain 14 points clear atop the Bostik South Central table with games running out for the chasing pack.

Above left, Josh Chamberlain receives a momento from the Mayor of Hillingdon for scoring United's 100th League goal of the season against Ware recently while to the right Elliot Benyon is presented with a signed matchball for his recent hat-trick against South Park.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Montimagemedia ©.

United Man of the Match: Ashley Smith.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Jack Smith
Half-Time: 0-1

Full-Time: 0-2

Referee: Mr M Begley

Attendance: 246


Hayes & Yeading United:

English (37 & 61)

Simon Grant
Ashley Smith
Curtis Chapple
Toby Little
Isaac Olorunfemi
Josh Chamberlain
Tristan Campbell
Liam McDevitt
Adam Richards
Ed Asafu-Adjaye
Louis Rogers
Scott Donnelly ©
Devontae Romeo
Scott Bridges
© Chris Ovenden
Lee Barney
Kelvin Bossman
George Bennett
Isaac Osei-Tutu
Elliot Benyon
Kameron English
Chid Onokwai (for Bennett, 58)
Jay Welch (for Osei-Tutu, 66)
Duncan Culley (for Benyon, 82)
Allen Bossman (for Romeo, 80)
Joe Wilson
Charlie Samuel
Nick Elliott (for Barney, 72)
Tom Collins (for K Bossman, 72)
Nathan Webb
Marcus Mealing
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy