Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Hitchin Town 0
Hayes & Yeading Utd
A solitary Lee Barney strike once again was enough to see Paul Hughes’ side through to the next round of the Buildbase FA Trophy at Southern Premier Hitchin Town on Saturday much as it had at Barking in the previous round.

On a cold blustery Saturday afternoon at Top Field, both sides took a little while to get to grips with each other and to look at troubling the opposition defences. Indeed it was thirteen minutes before either side really had a shot in anger, the first coming for the hosts who saw skipper Josh Bickerstaff let fly from 20 yards only for his effort to be well blocked by the United defence. The ball rebounded to skipper Scott Donnelly who sent Toby Little away storming down the left side where he picked out Lee Barney with a square pass, the strikers shot being deflected wide of the target. The resultant corner was fired deep by Little with Liam McDevitt stooping to head into the side netting from an acute angle.

At the midway mark of the half a quickly taken Charlie Smith corner again set up a shooting chance for Bickerstaff, this time his effort got as far as the United goal only for Hassan Jalloh to be well positioned on the post to head clear. Almost straight away the home side were again on the break forwards as Priestley Farquharson chased down Scott Belgrove, the United defenders’ well timed tackle denying the striker a shot as Ed Asafu-Adjaye completed the clearance.

The final fifteen minutes of the half saw United very much in the ascendancy. Jalloh found Little on the left, the wing-back cutting inside before hitting a shot that Canaries ‘keeper Josh Mollison did well to block out with Donnelly’s follow-up being deflected wide. McDevitt again met the corner kick but could not keep his header down.

Barney twice went close as the half drew to its conclusion. Farquharson headed a Donnelly corner back into the sic yard box with Barneys headed effort being deflected wide and the United top scorer went even closer a minute later when Little and Jalloh again combined on the left side, Jalloh’s near post cross being met by the diving Barney who saw his header beat Mollison only to come back to the ‘keeper off the post and we went in goalless at the break.

First to get the ball in the net were the home side on 50 minutes as Smith fed Trey Charles on the right side, he danced past a tackle before firing across for Belgrove to tap home only to be denied by the raised assistant’s flag for offside.

United bounced from this let off to taking the lead nine minutes later as Barney rose unchallenged beyond the far post and looped a header goalwards that in attempting to push over, Mollinson could only help into the net as Barney claimed his 14th strike of the season in just 16 appearances.

Just a few minutes later he almost had another as Mollinson redeemed himself with a fine double save, firstly he did well to push away a Barney drive from an angle and when the ball was reclaimed by Jalloh on the edge of the box, he looked to pick his spot in the opposite corner only for the Canaries stopper to push that effort away also.

Little had a chance on 71 minutes but the wall took the sting from his free-kick and Mollinson held on easily and the same player again went close five minutes later when Donnelly sent him away down the left side, he outpaced Macsen Fraser before firing the ball across the face of goal and just wide of the far post.

The final six minutes saw the home side throwing everything towards the United goal with three goal-line clearances maintaining a deserved clean sheet the Jack Smith and his defence. First chance saw a shot come in from substitute Charlie Thake that McDevitt played off the line, the same player blocking a goalbound effort from Charles with just a minute left in regulation time, the rebound from the same player being cleared off the line by Farquharson and after a handful of uneventful additional minutes, referee Aldous drew proceedings to a close and it is United who progress in this seasons premier non-league knockout competition.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Liam McDevitt.

Hitchin Town
Hayes & Yeading United
Josh Mollison
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 0-1

Referee: Mr J Aldous

Attendance: 317


Hitchin Town:

Hayes & Yeading United:
Barney (59)
Jack Smith
Macsen Fraser
Tom Jelley
Noah Chesmain
Toby Little
Matt Spring
Priestley Farquharson
Lewis Ferrell
Liam McDevitt
Josh Bickerstaff ©
Ed Asafu-Adjaye
Trey Charles
© Scott Donnelly
Charlie Smith
Scott Bridges
Jordy Mongoy
Lee Barney
Scott Belgrove
Hassan Jalloh
Patrick Tshikala
Roddy Collins
Alex Anderson
Keano Robinson
Jack Green
Ola Olajubu
Dan Webb (for Tshikala, 67)
Josh Chamberlain (for Little, 90+1)
Michael King
Great Evans
Charlie Thake (for Belgrove, 56)
Duncan Culley (for Barney, 87)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy