Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Edgware Town 2
Hayes & Yeading Utd
An experimental Hayes & Yeading line-up comfortably progressed to the second round of this years’ Middlesex Senior Challenge Cup despite a late double from the home side at Silver Jubilee Park, Paul Hughes’ side running out 5-2 winners over Edgware Town.

With seven changes from Saturday’s FA Trophy line-up, United started quickly by taking the lead in just fourth minute. A quick Toby Little throw-in on the left found Lewis Toomey who played the ball instantly to Great Evans, the former AFC Wimbledon striker turning toward goal and placing a neat curling shot beyond Wares ‘keeper Greg Ellingham and into the bottom corner for his first United goal.

Shortly after a long Luke Daley clearance took a hefty bounce on the spongy 3G surface, bounced over the defender to Toomey who lofted the ball over Ellingham but also cleared the goal. In the 8th minute the home side had their first effort on goal as a deep cross from the right side found Steven Benavides, his hooked volley of the bouncing ball being easily held by Daley.

Evans had another good chance midway through the half after Little pulled the ball back from the bye-line, the striker firing wide when well placed only to be awarded a corner much to the frustration of the home side, the kick however was instantly cancelled out when a free-kick was awarded in the middle when the ball came over.

Five minutes later though United had a deserved second. Keano Robinson played the ball out of defence to skipper Roddy Collins, he played the ball up to Toomey who took a little touch to find Hassan Jalloh who fired home in almost identical fashion to Evans earlier, his curling effort nestling in the far bottom corner of the Wares goal.

United almost had an immediate third as Evans slid the ball through to Toomey, Ellingham doing well to grab the ball at the United striker’s feet.

Edgware almost reduced the arrears in the 33 minute when Sam Odusoga blasted in a 25 yard free-kick that smashed the United crossbar before going over the top although Daley did look to have the effort covered had it been on target in fairness. Minutes later another opening for the home side saw Benavides collect the ball on the edge of the United box and get away a shot that flew across the goal and wide of the far post.

As the break approached, Evans had two more excellent chances to add to his opener. A Priestley Farquharson long ball upfield bounced kindly to Evans who tried to head the ball over the on-coming Ellingham but could not get enough power and provided an easy catch for the stopper. Then right on the half-time whistle Toomey crossed deep but despite beating his marker to the ball, Evans header was wide of the target and we went in two ahead at the break.

The first opening of the second half went to the visitors, Rio Beach firing goalwards from the corner of the United box, Daley grabbing the effort at the second attempt. A third for United however was only two minutes away as Jalloh was sent tumbling as he entered the Wares area leaving referee Williams with little choice but to point to the spot. Toomey stepped up and sent Ellingham the wrong way from twelve yards.

Number four came just before the hour mark as Little fired a corner into the six yard box from the right, Farquharson arriving to fire home his first goal for United from close range. Four became five just past the hour mark as Toomey’s tackle saw the ball fall for a raiding George Ademiluyi on the right wing, his first time cross giving Evans the chance to run home his second over the game.

The final twenty minutes saw two more chances fall to Evans, his chipped effort from a Scott Bridges pass was held by Ellingham and seconds later he received the ball in the Wares area on the left, his driven effort finding the side netting of the Wares goal.

The final ten minutes saw United relax a little too much and the home side managed a couple of consolation efforts. On 79 minutes a warning was sent to the United back line as a very offside looking Mikkel James raced through, Daley came out to meet him and drove him wide only to be left on the ground by a sharp turn by the Wares substitute who found Ryan Carruthers in a central position and he fired goalwards from 20 yards only for the ball to be cleared away in front of goal by the quick thinking and excellent positioning of United under 18s skipper Michael O’Neil.

The home side got on the scoresheet in freak circumstances on a minute later when left-back David Sota, who had faced United the previous week with Potters Bar Town, nutmegged Farquharson on the left and fired in a cross that somehow beat Daley into the near top corner of the United net.

A second consolation for the hosts came a minute from time as another substitute, Alfie Hill, collected the ball 20 yards out and let fly with an unstoppable shot that flew past Daley, United however finished the game in possession and progressed comfortably to the next round despite the two later Edgware strikes.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Man of the Match: Michael O'Neil.

Edgware Town
Hayes & Yeading United
Greg Ellingham
Half-Time: 0-2

Full-Time: 2-5

Referee: Mr A Williams

Attendance: 59


Edgware Town:
Sota (80)
Hill (89)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Evans (4 & 64)
Jalloh (27)
Toomey (51 pen)
Farquharson (58)
Luke Daley
Sam Addae
George Ademiluyi
David Sota
Toby Little
Perry Aitchison
Priestley Farquharson
Mark Burgess
Michael O'Neil
Ryan Carruthers
Keano Robinson
Andrew Manitou
Joshua Adebo
Sam Odusoga
© Roddy Collins
Claudio Tipote
Lewis Toomey
Rio Beach
Hassan Jalloh
Steven Benavides
Great Evans
Mikkel James (for Manitou, 60)
Ola Olajubu
Jack Smith
Alfie Hill (for Tipote, 73)
Tom Jelley (for Little, 65)
Fergus Moore
Scott Bridges (for Adebo, 59)
Paul Marks
Lee Barney (for Toomey, 77)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy