Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 7
Ashford Town (Mdx) 1
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Today's highlights kindly sponsored by JibbaJabbaPods
Back to back six goal victories at the SKYex, both aided by the opposition having a player dismissed, sees United’s clinical start to the campaign continue as Paul Hughes’ side move up to fourth in the early season Bostik South Central table having scored 29 times in just seven games.

The gaffer made just a single change to his last starting XI with Liam McDevitt returning from suspension to the heart of the United defence in place of Priestley Farquharson who moved to the bench that also included returning skipper Scott Donnelly who was not quite fit enough to start the game.

It was a cold, wet and windy afternoon at the SKYex and this showed early on with the first twenty minutes being pretty much devoid of chances, the closest effort coming from a third minute Scott Bridges free-kick for United that found Roddy Collins in the middle but his header was just too high to trouble Brannon Daly in the Tangerines goal.

The twentieth minute saw United go closer still and again it was Bridges from a free-kick this time the midfielders’ direct kick being pushed around the post by Daly as the ball headed for the top corner. Bridges was causing untold problems with the accuracy of his dead ball kicks and six minutes later his free-kick was chested down by Duncan Culley to Liam McDevitt, the defenders effort from a tight angle hitting the side netting.

Despite the main chances going United’s way, the visitors still looked sharp on the break without really testing Jack Smith in the United goal. Just after the half hour mark Culley played the ball wide to Hassan Jalloh, his low square pass saw Lee Barney get to the ball just before Daly but the Ashford stopper managed to block the effort wide of his goal.

United were nearly caught out at the back on 36 minutes when Ed Asafu-Adjaye attempted to chest a Tommy Brunton centre back to his ‘keeper, Mark Bitmead however nipped in first but could only shoot weakly straight to the grateful Smith.

With just over five minutes to the break and the game scoreless it really turned in United’s favour as Little and Barney neatly exchanged passes on the left, the United wing-back moving into the box only to be tripped by Samad Kazi with referee Green pointing to the spot. In the absence of regular taker Scott Donnelly, Bridges took responsibility and smashed the ball past Daly to give United the lead and then before the ball had even made its way back to the centre spot, Daly smashed the loose ball in anger hitting Barney and sending him to the ground, referee Green deemed this a deliberate act and issued a straight red card to the visiting stopper. With no substitute ‘keeper on the bench, Ashford striker Mark Bitmead took over between the sticks with Tangerines Manager Ben Murray also being red carded for his protests and was therefore under FA rules forced to leave the arena.

Stoppage time in the first half saw United and Bridges net for a second time, after good build up work from Ola Olajubu and Jalloh which presented an opening for Bridges who fired home from just inside the box this time with the aid of a slight deflection.

Paul Hughes made two positive substitutions at the break, replacing defender Collins and defensive midfielder Olajubu with Scott Donnelly and Josh Chamberlain, both who were to find the net by the hour mark.

In fact it took United less than two minutes to grab a third, Tom Jelley set the ball inside to Bridges, he found Barney in the box and his low driven effort was turned in six yards out by an unmarked Little.

Minutes later a well worked corner routine saw Bridges pick out Donnelly just outside the box, he brought the ball under control and hit a volley that only just cleared Bitmead’s goal.

The next ten minutes saw United score three more times to take the game up to 6-0. A neat Culley step over from a Bridges pass saw the ball run through to Jalloh, his return pass to Bridges setting up a shooting chance that Bitmead held onto. Within a minute though he could not keep out Chamberlain’s header as the United substitute rose to meet Little’s cross after he had been found on the left following a neat interchange between Jalloh and Culley.

Four became five on 54 minutes as a low ball into the box squirmed away from Bitmead’s grasp and Culley was on hand to nick the ball, turn and slot past the defensive cover on the line from six yards. On the hour United had six for a second consecutive game, Culley held up the ball before setting Donnelly who fired into the top corner from 25 yards, an effort that a regular ‘keeper would have struggled to keep out let alone a striker wearing the gloves.

Eleven minutes from time the visitors got themselves on the scoresheet as United failed to clear the ball, Ashford substitute Tom Howard collected the ball seemingly with the use of his hand, and was then not closed down quick enough as he curled a low shot beyond Smith’s dive into the far corner from 20 yards.

United still were not finished though. Tom Jelley played the ball in from the right and when the defender slipped the ball ran to Barney who beat Bitmead only for his shot to come back off the underside of the bar before being cleared.

Asafu-Adjaye then had a shot from distance saved by Bitmead before Bridges had the final say in stoppage time as the midfielder struck home his hat-trick goal from six yards after quick moving approach play from Barney and Jelley that set up the chance.

Above left sees Lee Barney receiving his signed matchballs from Vice-Chairman Dev Jassi for his two hat-tricks in three days against Brimscombe & Thrupp and Bedfont Sports. Aside on the right sees Lewis Toomey receiving his signed matchball for his hat-trick against Egham Town from regular supporter John Kerrison.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Duncan Culley.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Ashford Town (Middlesex)
Jack Smith
Half-Time: 2-0

Full-Time: 7-1

Referee: Mr C Green

Attendance: 196


Hayes & Yeading United:
Bridges (40 pen, 45+2, 90+2)
Little (47)
Chamberlain (53)
Culley (54)
Donnelly (60)

Ashford Town (Middlesex):
Howard (79)

Brannon Daly
Tom Jelley
Steven Loveridge
Toby Little
Tom Dilloway
Roddy Collins
Samad Kazi
Liam McDevitt
Adam Baigent
Ed Asafu-Adjaye
Elliott Poley
Ola Olajubu
Scott Weight
Scott Bridges
© Max Webb
Lee Barney
Kofi Lockhart-Adams
Hassan Jalloh
Tommy Brunton
Duncan Culley ©
Mark Bitmead
Keano Robinson
Tom Howard (for Brunton, 62)
Priestley Farquharson
Joe Green (for Dilloway, 83)
Lewis Toomey (for Culley, 69)
Bradley Wilson (for Kazi, 73)
Scott Donnelly (for Collins, 46)
Nebay Haile
Josh Chamberlain (for Olajubu, 46)
Tristan Noel
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy