Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

AFC Dunstable 0
Hayes & Yeading Utd
Saturday saw another very warm July day with temperatures around the 30 degree mark as United travelled to former divisional rivals AFC Dunstable for the next match in our pre-season programme ahead of our new Bostik League campaign.

United’s line-up showed a familiar set with the only new face being James Shaw between the sticks with Jack Smith still not available through injury.

The home side started well and created a good opening in just the second minute as a deep corner was headed over the top of the United goal by a Dunstable striker, the same player going closer fifteen minutes later when a low cross from the right was missed in the middle by his strike partner but he could only find the side netting.

Seconds later the United ‘keeper got his first real test as Keano Robinson blindly played a back-pass without noticing the Dunstable striker standing between himself and his ‘keeper, the United stopper doing well to get down quickly at the strikers feet to block and grab his effort at goal.

Just before the midway point in the half United worked their clearest opening as a Toby Little corner kick was cleared to Scott Bridges, he returned the ball to Little who fired in a cross to beyond the far post that Manny Duku reached with his head on the stretch but couldn’t force the ball back on target and his effort sailed wide.

Five minutes later United had the ball in the Dunstable net as Duku and Kaan Fehmi combined well to send Little away on the left, his low centre being fired home by Lewis Toomey only for him to be denied by a raised flag from the referee’s assistant for offside.

A further push forwards by the home side saw United’s ‘keeper make a good diving catch before the deadlock was broken on 38 minutes. Fehmi collected the ball in the middle of the park and ran at the home defence before pulling the ball back to Ola Olajubu who set up a shooting chance for Scott Bridges, his effort was fumbled y the hosts ‘keeper and Toomey nipped in to fire the loose ball home to give United the lead.

United’s lead was doubled just before half-time and Fehmi was again the catalyst in the move and this time the finisher too as he played a neat interchange with Duku before firing home first time from the edge of the Dunstable area.

As with most pre-season games, a flurry of half-time changes breaks up the play a little but one of United’s replacements almost helped himself to a goal just seven minutes after coming on as Ismael Ehui robbed the home sides skipper and raced towards goal only to be denied by the Dunstable ‘keeper who dived down as he tried to round him and handled the ball outside the area, an unquestionable red card in a competitive match but the referee’s leniency is fully understood in a friendly and he just got a telling off. Bridges took the resultant free-kick but despite beating the wall his effort was too high.

In all honesty the home side offered very little going forwards against a United defence well marshalled by the vocal Liam McDevitt, their only serious effort coming just before the hour mark when United’s ‘keeper held on to a long range effort.

Ehui went close again with a 25 yard free-kick just after the hour mark and ten minutes later United did have a third when a deep Bridges corner was controlled beyond the far post by Ryan Kinnane, the big defender smashing the ball home from an angle, the goal being deserved following a sublime United move that saw the corner earned in the first place.

The final few minutes saw another couple of chances for United to extend their lead as the home ‘keeper held a Bridges drive from 18 yards after good build up work from Ehui and Duku and then another United trialist, George Ademiluyi, this time from right wing-back saw him exchanges passes with Duku before letting fly only to be denied by the keepers legs as his effort was blocked wide but all in all a good work out for United who ended the game with a good win against a side of level standing.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

AFC Dunstable
Hayes & Yeading United
Half-Time: 0-2

Full-Time: 0-3

Referee: n/k

Attendance: 35ish


AFC Dunstable:

Hayes & Yeading United:
Toomey (38)
Fehmi (44)
Kinnane (72)
James Shaw
Keano Robinson
Toby Little
Manny Folarin
Liam McDevitt
Priestly Farquharson
Ola Olajubu
Scott Bridges
© Manny Duku
Kaan Fehmi
Lewis Toomey
X (for 6, 46)
Ryan Kinnane (for Farquharson, 58)
X (for 1, 46)
Luke Daley
X (for 7, 66)
Ismael Ehui (for Fehmi, 46)
X (for 11, 53)
Lee Barney (for Toomey, 46)
X (for 5, 53)
Josh Chamberlain (for Little, 46)
George Ademiluyi (for Robinson, 72)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy