Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 2
AFC Rushden & D. 1
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Today's highlights kindly sponsored by JibbaJabbaPods

Paul Hughes’ Hayes & Yeading side made it 3 from 3 against AFC Rushden & Diamonds as United moved through to the second qualifying round of this year’s Emirates FA Cup with a 2-1 victory over the Evo-Stik South Premier Central side at the SKYex on Saturday afternoon.

The gaffer made two changes to his starting line-up from the previous victory over Tooting & Mitcham as Tom Jelley returned from illness to replace George Ademiluyi and Josh Chamberlain came into the side in place of the unavailable Priestley Farquharson with Roddy Collins moving back into defence from midfield.

A quick start by United saw an opening created in just the second minute as Lee Barney sent Toby Little away on the left, his low centre heading for Lewis Toomey was miskicked by Sam Brown but he somehow got enough of the ball to take it out of the United strikers reach and the danger was averted.

Five minutes later a Rushden clearance was volleyed back into the mix by Ed Asafu-Adjaye, visiting skipper Liam Dolman’s poor header dropped to Toomey who met the ball on the volley but could not keep it down and again the visiting ‘keeper was not tested.

Diamonds soon had their first look at Jack Smith’s goal as a Callum Westwood corner from the right side was delivered onto the head of Tom Lorraine, his effort just providing catching practise for Smith.

Despite being a division lower, United continued taking the game to their higher ranked opponents. In the thirteenth minute Scott Bridges collected the ball on the right side of the Diamonds box, he fed Barney who fired the ball low across the six yard box, just evading the sliding Toomey at the far stick.

Shortly after Barney was again instrumental in creating an opening for United as he slid the ball inside Westwood and into Little’s run, the wing-back’s effort being blocked out by a timely Brown interception en route to goal.

A five minute spell around the midway point in the half saw two chances come and go for the visitors. Lorraine set up a shooting chance for Joel Gyasi from the edge of the United box but he was denied a shot by a well timed tackle and clearance by Roddy Collins and then loose play inside their own area by the United defence saw Ben Farrell steal possession only to fire over without testing Smith.

With ten minutes to go before the break United took the lead in slightly controversial circumstances with the home side being awarded a corner from a wide effort that seemed to come off Barney’s head. Skipper Scott Donnelly took the corner kick that was met by an unmarked Toomey who guided the ball just inside the far post of Ben Heath’s goal with an excellent glancing header to give United a deserved lead.

Three minutes later the final real chance of the half again fell to the home side as Josh Chamberlain collected the ball in midfield and sent Little away flying down the left, the United man cutting inside and shooting for goal but his effort was comfortably held by Heath and minutes later the half-time whistle drew the first period to a close with United in the ascendancy and a goal to the good.

United no doubt knew their defence would come under more pressure after the break and this was to be the case however Paul Hughes side this season are nothing if not resilient and almost all of what was thrown at them was to be repelled.

Just three minutes in, a long Brown throw for the visitors was flicked on to Farrell, his volley being blocked away by Donnelly. A couple of minutes later and United went close to doubling their lead when Asafu-Adjaye found Little on the left, his centre picked out Toomey who laid the ball off to Barney who appeared to pick his spot in the top corner and with Heath static, the strikers shot beat him all ends up only to come back to safety off the Diamonds crossbar.

Within 60 seconds the United crossbar was also struck, this time Liam McDevitt lost possession in his own area, the ball was pulled back to Gyasi who beat Smith but his effort was inches too high and went over off the top of the United bar.

Either side of the hour mark both sides created a good opening without “troubling the scorers”. Bridges found Toomey who nudged the ball inside to Barney, the United hot shot seeing his shot on the turn blocked out by Brown and then switching to the other end, Diamonds substitute Leon Lobjoit collected the ball on the right corner of the box and fired in a shot that was only just over the United goal.

With ten minutes of normal playing time left on the watch, United again had the ball in the net as Donnelly’s 20 yard drive was pushed away by the diving Heath only for Barney to tuck home the loose ball, the striker being denied however by a raised offside flag.

With just five minutes left on the watch the visitors went close to pulling level as a ball in from the left by John Dean saw Ben Diamond get his head to the ball in front of the on-coming Smith but he got too much on his header and it also sailed over the United goal.

In the 89th minute United looked to have finally put the nail in the visitors cup run when Bridges won possession and found Barney, he set the ball back to Tom Jelley, he advanced before sliding the ball to Barney who netted his tenth in four games by smashing the ball in off the goalkeeper right at the post from an acute angle to give United a two goal cushion.

With the game well into stoppage time, Barney’s cushion was indeed required as Diamond broke into the United box and was tripped with referee Battye pointing to the spot. Farrell stepped up and despite Smith going the right way, he couldn’t repeat the previous weeks save and the well struck kick reduced the arrears.

This dent in the United armour was thankfully too little too late for the visitors and it is the name of Hayes & Yeading United that will appear in Monday’s draw at FA HQ.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Ed Asafu-Adjaye.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Jack Smith
Half-Time: 1-0

Full-Time: 2-1

Referee: Mr R Battye

Attendance: 286


Hayes & Yeading United:
Toomey (35)
Barney (89)

AFC Rushden & Diamonds:
Farrell (90+4 pen)

Ben Heath
Tom Jelley
Callum Westwood
Toby Little
Sam Brown
Roddy Collins
Jack Westbrook
Liam McDevitt
© Liam Dolman
Ed Asafu-Adjaye
Blaize Punter
Scott Donnelly ©
Joel Gyasi
Scott Bridges
Ben Farrell
Lewis Toomey
Tom Lorraine
Josh Chamberlain
Ben Diamond
Lee Barney
Dan Clifton
Keano Robinson
John Dean (for Westwood, 58)
James Shaw
Ty Ward
Ola Olajubu (for Chamberlain, 87)
Zack Reynolds
Duncan Culley (for Toomey, 72)
Leon Lobjoit (for Clifton, 58)
Hassan Jalloh
Jack Bowen (for Lorraine, 68)
George Ademiluyi
Nathan Hicks
Albie Hopkins
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy