Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 4
Northwood 2
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Today's highlights kindly sponsored by JibbaJabbaPods
Hayes & Yeading saw out 2017 with a 4-2 victory at the SKYex against neighbours Northwood thus avenging the August Bank Holiday away defeat to the Woods. More significant than the result maybe was the return of first team skipper Tom Smith who has been out with injury for several months.

Manager Paul Hughes made a single change from Saturday’s victorious starting XI, with Keano Robinson being unavailable, his place was taken by fit again Ryan Kinnane.

United started well, forcing a good save from Woods ‘keeper Matt Nolan in just the fourth minute. A United Scott Donnelly corner was only cleared as far as Ismael Ehui, he touched the ball to Toby Little who fired goalwards only for Nolan to tip his effort around the post.

Three minutes later and with the visitors first real break out of their own half, a long forwards ball saw hesitation in the United defence punished as former United man Mahlondo Martin got to the ball in front of Ryan Kinnane and slid it home past the unprotected Kai McKenzie-Lyle.

The goal against the run of play gave the Woods some confidence to move forwards and on 13 minutes Martin and Tayshan Hayden-Smith combined on the right side of the box, the latter laying the ball off to the on-coming Isaac Olarunfemi who hit a deflected rising drive that McKenzie-Lyle did well to hold diving to his right.

United were again denied by Nolan minutes later, Ola Olajubu won possession in the middle of the park, e found Donnelly who after an exchange with Ehui sent Little into the box, the United wing-back being honest and staying up despite being tripped, his shot deflecting into the face of Nolan with his grateful defence clearing the ball away.

The leveller was a matter of seconds away however, a defensive clearance was volleyed back into the danger zone by Priestly Farquharson, Duku dragged the ball down and with three defenders in close quarters, he gained control of the ball before firing home from 10 yards out.

From here on in, United continued to dominate possession. Duku collected in the box and as he lost out to a Brad Hewitt tackle, the ball ran loose to Ehui who was denied by Nolan who did well to push out his drive from the edge of the box.

Olajubu and Ehui then combined to send Duku through on goal, United’s top scorer rounding Nolan but having been forced wide he fired over from a tight angle. Two minutes later Nolan pulled off his best save yet, Darnell Shakes fed the ball in to Laste Dombaxe, the former Ostersunds IFK midfielder turned his marked and fired goalwards only for Nolan, who was moving the wrong way, to stick out a firm left hand to push the ball wide.

A minute from the break United finally took the lead, albeit in somewhat fortunate circumstances as Ehui sent Little away on the left side of the box, his low driven cross being turned past his own ‘keeper by Hobbs as Dombaxe arrived just behind the unfortunate defender.

The second half started just as the first had ended with Little rampaging down the left side just 15 seconds after the re-start, his shot across the face of the Woods goal going inches wide of the far post.

Five minutes later Donnelly played Duku through, he outpaced his marker only to again be denied by Nolan who blocked his shot wide of the target. On the hour mark a rare sortie forwards by the visitors saw Jack McDonnell chip a free-kick into the United box, former United defender Tom Gilbey going close to connecting at the far post only for the ball to roll harmlessly wide.

Nolan denied Duku again minutes later, Little took a quick corner kick to Donnelly, the United skipper curling in a cross that Duku got a slight flick to only for the ball to strike Nolan on the knee and go flying back out to safety.

Duku again went close but was too high minutes later before United debutant Frank Keita collected a Duncan Culley flick-on of McKenzie-Lyle’s drop-kick, nodding the ball into the box where he turned Hobbs only to be tripped by the young Woods defender with referee Ellsmore pointing straight to the spot. Culley stepped up and calmly sent Nolan the wrong way from 12 yards for his ninth of the season.

Five minutes later and United had a fourth as Culley slid the ball forwards into Duku’s run, the United top scorer sliding home number 17 of the campaign despite Nolan getting a desperate hand to the ball diving to his left.

Culley found Keita just into stoppage time but Nolan denied him a debut goal and then a relapse at the back once again allowed Martin to run free onto a long ball down the right and slide the ball past McKenzie-Lyle from the right side of the United area.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Manny Duku.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Kai McKenzie-Lyle
Half-Time: 2-1

Full-Time: 4-2

Referee: Mr T Ellsmore

Attendance: 172


Hayes & Yeading United:
Duku (20 & 83)
Hobbs (44 own goal)
Culley (79 pen)

Martin (7 & 90+3)

Matt Nolan
Darnell Shakes
Isaac Olarunfemi
Toby Little
Tom Gilbey
Priestly Farquharson
David Taylor
Ryan Kinnane
Lewis Hobbs
Komal Llewellyn-Reid
© Brad Hewitt
Scott Donnelly ©
Tayshan Hayden-Smith
Ola Olajubu
Lewis Ochoa
Manny Duku
Romelle Alomenu
Ismael Ehui
Mahlondo Martin
Laste Dombaxe
Harry Newman
Duncan Culley (for I Ehui, 61)
Paolo Montella (for Olarunfemi, 46)
Tom Smith (for Shakes, 84)
Nebay Haile (for Montella, 84)
Frank Keita (for Dombaxe, 70)
Kojo Gyimah
Jack Roper
Jack McDonnell (for Alomenu, 46)
James Taylor
Wilson Chingoka
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy