Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Kempston Rovers 3
Hayes & Yeading Utd 2
Hayes & Yeading came back from Kempston empty handed on Tuesday evening after a 2-1 lead turned on its head to defeat in the space of four minutes at the end of the game.

Manager Paul Hughes was forced to replace flu victims Frankie Jones and Rohdell Gordon in the starting XI as Joakim Ehui and Spyros Mentis returned to the side, a third change saw James Taylor return from illness to replace Melvin Adesida who dropped to the bench.

An early effort from the visitors saw Luke Heneghan collected the ball and fizz a shot across the face of the United goal and just wide of the far post and then on 17 minutes the deadlock was broken by United. A free-kick was awarded on the right side, Danny Hutchins curled the kick into the Kempston box and this was met by the on-coming Mentis who powered his header past Rovers ‘keeper Martin Conway.

The United defence were dealing well with the home advances and most of the openings seemed to be falling the way of the visitors although a worry for United saw Jack Smith play for more than 25 minutes with a niggling injury that was eventually to see him replaced at the break.

As United pushed for another, Duncan Culley collected a Danny may pass and hit a shot on the turn that Conway held and then three minutes later Mentis was inches from another when good work on the right from the brothers Ehui saw Ismael set up Mentis who drove the ball beyond Conway from 25 yards only for it to crash back off the crossbar to safety.

On the half hour mark Conway was again in action, this time pushing away an angled drive by Joakim Ehui after the midfielder was released down the right by Culley. Culley himself soon had the ball in the box only to be cut down in his prime but despite appeals by the United players both referee and assistant saw no offence and play went on.

With Smith clearly not moving easily, the United defence had done well to keep their custodian safe although in stoppage time a dipping effort from Heneghan only just cleared the United goal.

After further assessing Smith’s injury at the break, it was deemed that he had to be replaced meaning a debut for former United under 18 ‘keeper, albeit a few years ago, Luke Daley.

The home side came out showing that they were in the mood to turn the game around and within seconds an effort from distance by Ben Shepherd tested the new United stopper who swept the ball up comfortably.

It did however take the home side just 8 minutes to reply to United’s first half strike as a well struck free-kick from Ash Fuller was flicked past his own ‘keeper by May in his attempt to clear.

Another chance quickly came to the home side as Seb Simpson arrived at the far post to meet a Fuller corner only to head over and then just after the hour mark United substitute Andrew Ofosu was sent through by Ola Olajubu, the striker looking to take a heavy touch but still getting to the ball first to poke it past Conway and just inside the post to restore United’s lead.

Five minutes later May was a whisker from increasing the lead as his driven free-kick went just the wrong side of the post however this was one of United’s last real openings as the home side pushed forwards looking to pull the game back.

Daley held well from a Nathan Tshikuna drive before the same player hit a volley on the turn just five minutes from time that United were grateful to see go the wrong side of the upright.

Then as we arrived in the 90th minute the home side netted a somewhat fortunate equaliser. Fuller fired a 20 yard free-kick past the wall, Daley did extremely well to push out the well struck kick only for the ball to strike Jake Newman and fly back into the net bringing the home side level.

What came four minutes later was disastrous for the visitors though with Fuller again the catalyst. Having earned a free-kick on the left wing, the Rovers skipper delivered a perfectly placed cross to the far post where Robbie Goodman arrived unchallenged to head past Daley to give his side three points that they could barely have expected five minutes earlier.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Man of the Match: Orlando Rodrigues.

Kempston Rovers
Hayes & Yeading United
Martin Conway
Half-Time: 0-1

Full-Time: 3-2

Referee: Mr S Cheek

Attendance: 83


Kempston Rovers:
May (53 own goal)
Newman (90)
Goodman (90+4)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Mentis (17)
Ofosu (63)
Jack Smith
Kyal McNulty
Danny Hutchins
Hateley Mercer
James Taylor
Robbie Goodman
Ola Olajubu
Seb Simpson
Orlando Rodrigues
George Boland
Danny May
Sam Johnson
Joakim Ehui
Ben Shepherd
© Spyros Mentis
Jake Newman
Duncan Culley
Ash Fuller ©
Ismael Ehui
Luke Heneghan
Manny Duku
Michael Lyon (for Mercer, 87)
Tommy Cooney
Jamiane Ivy (for Johnson, 76)
Luke Daley (for J Smith, 46)
Adam Moussi
Tre Mitford (for J Ehui, 67)
Callum Lewis
Andrew Ofosu (for Culley, 58)
Nathan Tshikuna (for Boland, 69)
Melvin Adesida
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy