Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 0
Havant & Waterlooville 4
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Today's highlights kindly sponsored by JibbaJabbaPods
A two division difference finally saw United depart from this season’s Emirates FA Cup at the SKYex in a game that saw the National League South side run out 4-0 victors aided in part after United skipper Spyros Mentis saw red while being stretchered off four minutes into the second half.

Two new faces for the season found their way into the starting line-up as Ola Olajubu came in at right-back with former United under 18s skipper James Taylor making a welcome return to the club and starting alongside Orlando Rodrigues at the heart of the defence.

Paul Hughes’ side were fortunate not to be behind as early as the second minute when a lofted free-kick was played back across the box to Jordan Rose who somehow managed to hit the post from two yards out.

United’s first shot in anger came on thirteen minutes when Olajubu fed Joakim Ehui on the right flank, his centre was headed out by former United man Ed Harris but only as far as Matthew Hall who saw his 25 yard effort comfortably fielded by Ryan Young in the Hawks goal.

As far as chances go we move on to the 31st minute for the next one as a cross from the right by the visitors was met in the middle by Ryan Woodford who headed straight into Jack Smith’s grateful arms. Within a minute another surge up-field by the Hawks saw the impressive Bradley Tarbuck break into the box, his initial shot was blocked by a well timed Rodrigues tackle and when the ball ran back to the Hawks midfielder he could only find the side netting from a tight angle.

As the break approached a 20 yard Rohdell Gordon free-kick was caught by the diving Young before two late chances came about for the visitors. Jason Prior made space wide and centred to Harris who scuffed his shot wide from just 6 yards and then as time ran out a Rory Williams break on the left saw him cross deep to an unmarked Prior who volleyed wide of the target and we went in goalless at half-time.

Paul Hughes made a change at the break and re-shuffled his pack as Rowan Vine came on the replace debutant Olajubu with Matthew Hall moving to right-back.

The half-time plans were soon to be scuppered though as an already cautioned Mentis brought down an opponent in the centre circle, injuring himself in the process and leading to referee Heron showing him a second yellow and subsequent red card as the United skipper left the pitch on a stretcher leaving United to battle on with 10 men.

Sadly for United the battle was soon effectively over as the Hawks quickly upped the pace and killed the game, scoring three times in just 6 minutes. The first came on 55 minutes, a corner swung in from the left was punched upwards by Smith only for the ball to drop nicely to Williams who smashed it back across Smith into the far corner of the United net.

Four minutes later Williams turned provider as his cross from the left saw Prior arrive to plant a header firmly past Smith to double the Hawks lead. Number three came just two minutes later as a corner from the left side was met by Woodford at the near post, his header giving Smith no chance.

League status and the extra man saw the majority of possession with the visiting side. Tarbuck picked out Williams at the far post but he blazed over before substitute James Hayter got a lucky break on the ball inside the United box, despite beating Smith’s dive, the ball went just wide of the far post.

Just under 20 minutes remained when Hawks substitutes Hayter and Matt Tubbs both had chances to increase the lead. Hayter received the ball in the box and turned his marker only to be denied by Smith, the loose ball ran to Tubbs who despite beating Smith saw his effort cleared off the line by a well positioned Taylor.

Number four did come soon after though, a throughball that the defenders appeared to have under control saw Smith race from his box to head clear only for the ball to go straight to Hayter who lobbed it home from 40 yards out as the United back-line back pedalled.

Still the visitors pushed for more with United showing little going forwards despite the non-stop running of an isolated Manny Duku. A quickly taken free-kick in midfield freed Williams once more on the left, his centre was met on the run by Prior only for Taylor to be perfectly placed once more to clear off the line.

United’s only real chance of the whole second period saw a Gordon free-kick from the corner of the Hawks area held by Young and with just 5 minutes remaining Smith was at his best to push away a Hayter header at full stretch and that was it for United’s 2017/18 Emirates FA Cup campaign.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Jack Smith.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Havant & Waterlooville
Jack Smith
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 0-4

Referee: Mr G Heron

Attendance: 241


Hayes & Yeading United:

Havant & Waterlooville:
Williams (55)
Prior (59)
Woodford (61)
Hayter (75)

Ryan Young
Ola Olajubu
Rory Williams
Tommy Cooney
Ryan Woodford
Matthew Hall
© Ed Harris
Orlando Rodrigues
Wes Fogden
James Taylor
Theo Lewis
Joakim Ehui
Jason Prior
Spyros Mentis ©
Bradley Tarbuck
Manny Duku
Alfie Rutherford
Frankie Jones
Andreas Robinson
Rohdell Gordon
Jordan Rose
Phil Appiah (for J Ehui, 56)
Dan Strugnell (for Rose, 80)
Luke Daley
Matt Tubbs (for Robinson, 66)
Harly Wise
Alan Walker-Harris
Andrew Ofosu (for Duku, 90)
Lee Molyneaux
Rowan Vine (for Olajubu, 46)
James Hayter (for Lewis, 66)
Omar Daidouh
Ismael Ehui
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy