Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Egham Town 2
Hayes & Yeading Utd 0
Hayes & Yeading’s push for promotion stuttered for the second consecutive game as Paul Hughes’ side were defeated by Egham Town at the Runnymede Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Ryan Kinnane and Ola Olajubu both returned to the starting line-up with Keano Robinson and Laste Dombaxe dropping to the bench. Also, with Duncan Culley missing through injury, Ismael Ehui came into the side to partner Manny Duku up front.

United started well and held a good amount of possession in the opening ten minutes without overly troubling Matt Nolan in the Sarnies goal only to be hit by a sucker punch from the home sides’ first attack of the game. The ball was clipped in from the right side of midfield, the United defence left Ryan Debattista alone expecting ‘keeper Zaki Oualah to comfortably get to the ball first, unfortunately for United Oualah slipped on the soggy turf and could not regain his position quickly enough to stop the sarnies striker firing home.

Town minutes later United were denied an equaliser as Spyros Mentis met a left cross, his header going beyond Nolan’s grasp only for Mitch Wiseman to head clear off the line. United’s next serious attack ten minutes later saw Ehui poke the ball through into Duku’s path, the striker getting to the ball fractionally before Nolan but the loose ball was cleared away by the Sarnies covering defenders.

Toby Little soon after collected a return of his own corner on the right, he moved quickly past left-back Andreas Loizou before firing for the near post that Nolan had covered as the stopper held the ball easily.

The final ten minutes of the half brought another chance for United and to be honest I am still not sure how it stayed out. Duku burst into the home box from the right side, his driven cross pinballed around in the middle before dropping to Ola Olajubu who somehow managed to smash it against the under side of the bar from a yard or two out with the ball coming back into play to be cleared away.

The second half was to be dominated by United however only Egham found the killer instinct in front of goal as Debattista netted a second midway through the half.

Early doors, Scott Donnelly slide the ball through to Duku but despite getting the slightest of touches Nolan got down well to hold on and then play switched quickly to the other end as a Michael Kalu corner was met by former United man Devante McKain, his header forcing a flying tip over the bar from Oualah.

Four minutes later Tom Smith almost opened his account when he looped a header goalwards from Donnelly’s free-kick, Nolan doing well to push the ball over the bar as it looked to be finding the top corner. A minute later United again failed to hit the target from a few yards out, this time a cross from Little bounced up in the six yard box and an arriving Mentis couldn’t keep his header down.

On 67 minutes though the home side broke away and showed that possession dominance isn’t always what is required to win matches, goals are. Kalu collected the ball on the right side, his driven picked out Debattista unmarked at the far post and the Sarnies striker coolly slotted past Oualah to double Egham’s advantage.

United continued to push ahead though, Little slid the ball neatly through to Donnelly, his cross shot going low across the face of goal and wide of the far post. United nearly got caught out again as we arrived into the final ten minutes though as Kalu burst up the right side and cut inside, his shot being blocked away by the sharp reactions of Oualah.

Two more good chances came United’s way as time ticked down. Ehui controlled the ball on the edge of the box and played it on to substitute Kaan Fehmi who looked to have done everything right only to see his shot brilliantly pushed over by Nolan.

Lastly, and deep into stoppage time the ball was played across the six yard box by Adam Cash, Duku arrived at the far post for what looked like a tap in only for the ball to go between his legs and with that chance United’s chase was ended for the night and we must now pick ourselves up for a battle against fellow promotion hopefuls Hartley Wintney at the SKYex on Saturday.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Scott Donnelly.

Egham Town
Hayes & Yeading United
Matt Nolan
Half-Time: 1-0

Full-Time: 2-0

Referee: Mr A Anastasiou

Attendance: 129


Egham Town:
Debattista (10 & 67)

Hayes & Yeading United:

Zaki Oualah
Greg Hayden
Adam Cash
Andreas Loizou
Toby Little
Rhys Paul ©
Priestly Farquharson
Mitch Wiseman
© Tom Smith
Devante McKain
Ryan Kinnane
Stephan Forbes-Hamilton
Scott Donnelly
Josh Andrew
Spyros Mentis
Ryan Debattista
Manny Duku
Ashley Lodge
Ismael Ehui
Michael Kalu
Ola Olajubu
Brendan Matthew (for Forbes-Hamilton, 72)
Keano Robinson (for Farquharson, 80)
Conrad Lucan
Alex Ravenhill
Danny Julienne (for Hayden, 49)
Kaan Fehmi (for Olajubu, 72)
Alex Nolan (for Paul, 87)
Laste Dombaxe (for Mentis, 63)
Lauric Diakiesse
Jack Roper
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy