Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 3
Cambridge City 1
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Today's highlights kindly sponsored by JibbaJabbaPods
Paul Hughes’ Hayes & Yeading side scored a fine 3-1 victory over second placed Cambridge City at the SKYex on Tuesday evening after the hosts came back from conceding after just 94 seconds making this a third consecutive league victory over top five placed sides.

United made two changes from the side beaten by Chesham in the FA trophy at the weekend with Keano Robinson returning in place of Melvin Adesida and new recruit Scott Donnelly replacing the injured Danny Hutchins with Toby Little switching from midfield to left-back.

Although the Lillywhites struck after 94 seconds, this was actually not the first chance of the game, that fell to United after Rohdell Gordon had surged forwards and picked out Andrew Ofosu, his tame shot being dealt with easily by visiting ‘keeper Niall Conroy.

A break down the right for the visitors saw Ryan Towner fire the ball across from the flank, Ryan Sharman flicked the ball on to Tom Knowles who played it back in low to Sharman who placed his shot in the top corner from 12 yards.

The game started to ebb and flow from end to end as we moved further in to the first half. Scott Donnelly and Ismael Ehui exchanged passes moving forwards with the former seeing his effort held by Conroy before at the other end a centre by Ben Robinson was inadvertently chested to Lewis Wilson by Danny May, the Cambridge striker firing straight at Jack Smith.

Conroy again saved from Donnelly soon after following fine approach play from Ofosu and Ehui before United were caught short at the back with the ball being fed to Knowles in the left channel, he fired in from a tight angle, Smith doing well to block the ball away at the foot of the post.

United drew level in the 31st minute with a debut goal from Donnelly. The ball was played wide to Ofosu who turned former United defender Mason Spence inside out before finding Donnelly who slotted the ball low into the far corner from 18 yards with Conroy rooted to the spot.

Two further openings came in the first 45, both falling to the Lillywhites. A Towner cross from the right was helped on to Knowles off a United head, the wide man firing across goal and wide of the far post. Then in stoppage time the exact reverse occurred, this time a Knowles centre being helped on to Towner who screwed his shot wide from 10 yards out and we went in all square at the break.

The second period again started with an early strike, this time by way of a United boot. Ofosu again the catalyst, his trickery on the right corner of the Cambridge area led to him being brought down by Spence. Toby Little took charge of the kick and curled it around the wall, beating Conroy at the near post for his second goal in eight days.

United were now getting on top, Conroy saved from Donnelly after he was sent through by Ehui and then Keano Robinson played the ball to Ehui who slid the ball past Jordan Gent in to the run of Manny Duku, the United top scorer being foiled by Conroy who pushed the ball wide of the post.

The home side were still on the front foot and pushing for more, Donnelly set up Duku but his shot was deflected inches wide by a defenders boot and then the visitors raced away on the break as Sharman helped the ball forwards, with what suspiciously looked like a hand, to substitute Salim Relizani, the striker sliding the ball under Smith’s dive only for May to get back to clear off the line.

Minutes later Smith himself this time denied Lewis Wilson, the United stopper going full stretch to tip over a goalbound header from the visitors centre forward.

City did have the ball in the United net in the 73rd minute as Wilson tapped home from close range only to be flagged offside by the attentive assistant on the far side.

Donnelly again went close for United a few minutes later and just two minutes later he netted his second of the game. United substitute Duncan Culley did well to retain possession on the left side of the box, his low centre across the side yard box being rammed home at the far post by Donnelly to cap an excellent debut from the experienced midfielder.

Relizani and Towner both went close in the dying moments but United held firm to claim a third successive three point maximum to push Paul Hughes’ side up to seventh, three points off City in second place.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Man of the Match: Andrew Ofosu.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Cambridge City
Jack Smith
Half-Time: 1-1

Full-Time: 3-1

Referee: Mr R Wainwright

Attendance: 113


Hayes & Yeading United:
Donnelly (31 & 80)
Little (48)

Cambridge City:
Sharman (2)

Niall Conroy
Keano Robinson
Ben Robinson
Toby Little
Mason Spence
Scott Donnelly
Ross Paterson
Danny May
Jordan Gent
Komal Llewellyn-Reid
© Ian Miller
Andrew Ofosu
Ryan Towner
Spyros Mentis ©
Buster Harradine
Manny Duku
Lewis Wilson
Ismael Ehui
Ryan Sharman
Rohdell Gordon
Tom Knowles
Duncan Culley (for Gordon, 73)
Salim Relizani (for Harradine, 58)
Priestly Farquharson
Nathan Olukanmi (for Knowles, 62)
Ola Olajubu (for I Ehui, 78)
Oliver Snaith
Frankie Jones
Joakim Ehui (for Ofosu, 87)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy