Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Aylesbury United 1
Hayes & Yeading Utd 0
With AFC Rushden & Diamonds being held by Northwood, Hayes & Yeading again missed a chance to top the table by falling to a single goal defeat at mid-table Aylesbury United.

Manager Paul Hughes again fielded the same XI from the previous two League fixtures and it was United quickest out of the blocks as Scott Donnelly slid the ball through to Manny Duku in just the second minute, the United top scorer getting to the ball marginally before home stopper Jack Hopwood who did well to smother the ball away.

A chance for the home side came a few minutes later as a snap shot from Ben Seaton 20 yards out and through a crowd of players was well held at the post by a diving Zaki Oualah.

What was to be the pivotal moment in the game came on 27 minutes. United skipper Tom Smith received a head injury in a clash inside the box and with the United player lying flat on his back in the box, referee Creswick amazingly decided to let play continue and when the ball ricocheted around in the box, a trip was adjudged and a spot kick awarded. Having been down for a good couple of minutes, Smith finally rose to return to play as Ollie Hogg stepped up and beat Oualah from 12 yards.

Ten minutes later Oualah did well to push away a Seaton far post volley, the ball falling to Aaron Berry who appeared to be pushed over in the box and could have seen another penalty awarded but for the intervention of the assistants flag for offside against the Ducks striker.

Minutes later United should possibly have tested Hopwood but didn’t, Duku knocked the ball down to Spyros Mentis who in turn fed Duncan Culley, his first time shot beat Hopwood but also beat the far post by a matter of inches and United went in at the break a goal adrift.

In all honesty the second half didn’t really provide many openings either as United dominated possession but could not break down a resolute Ducks defence although hitting the bar from a yard does not help matters.

First chance of the half came on 58 minutes as a Donnelly free-kick from halfway was met by Duku, his glancing header going the wrong side of the upright.

United had to wait until the 74th minute to test Hopwood once more, Toby Little collected on the left side and swung over a deep cross that found Duku at the far post, his effort being bundled wide of the post by the Ducks ‘keeper.

Ten minutes remained when Priestly Farquharson went on a full tilt charge down the left side, exchanging passes with Ismael Ehui in between before crossing to Duku who nodded the ball down to Jack Roper, the United under 18 skipper’s shot going too high to trouble Hopwood.

As the game went into stoppage time United almost certainly produced the miss of the season. Little sent in a cross from the left that was fumbled under pressure by Hopwood, the ball going to Ehui who from a yard out managed to head against the crossbar with Callum Mapley heading away to clear the danger and it was defeat for United and a vital three points dropped in the title race.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Tom Smith.

Aylesbury United
Hayes & Yeading United
Jack Hopwood
Half-Time: 1-0

Full-Time: 1-0

Referee: Mr J Creswick

Attendance: 179


Aylesbury United:
Hogg (27 pen)

Hayes & Yeading United:

Zaki Oualah
Jeanmal Prosper
Emmanuel Folarin
Jake Bewley
Priestly Farquharson
Jack Wood ©
Toby Little
Callum Mapley
© Tom Smith
Ollie Hogg
Ryan Kinnane
Harry Jones
Scott Donnelly
Greg Williams
Spyros Mentis
Aaron Berry
Manny Duku
Ben Seaton
Laste Dombaxe
Matt Peake-Pijnen
Duncan Culley
Sonny French (for Jones, 78)
Jack Roper (for Dombaxe, 73)
Archie Davis
Ollie Stanbridge (for Seaton, 88)
Ismael Ehui (for Culley, 66)
Jamie Keen
Ola Olajubu
Keano Robinson (for Mentis, 90)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy