Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 1
AFC Rushden & D. 0
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Today's highlights kindly sponsored by JibbaJabbaPods

Three points and a clean sheet was the perfect tonic for United after the dismal defeat at Ashford 7 days earlier in a game that saw debuts for winger Luke Joyce-Dwarika and defenders Komal Llewellyn-Reid and Keano Robinson.

With a strong gale blowing down the pitch at the SKYex favouring United in the first half, it was in fact the visitors who created the first opening after 7 minutes when a break by Joel Gyasi on the left saw the midfielder pull the ball back to Claudiu Hoban but the striker fired over from just inside the United box.

United were quickly on the attack though as Toby Little won possession in the middle of the park and played it left to debutant Joyce-Dwarika, the winger cutting in from the left to drive the ball goalwards, his effort flying just too high to test Ben Heath in the Rushden goal.

Gyasi continued to cause problems for United right-back Melvin Adesida and on 18 minutes it was the other debutant in the starting XI that showed up well as Llewellyn-Reid slid in at the near post to clear away a dangerous Gyasi cross with Hoban lurking ready to pounce.

Just 6 minutes later the deadlock was broken by the home side, Rohdell Gordon collected the ball and played it square to Joyce-Dwarika, the wide man sliding a perfect through ball in to the run of Ismael Ehui who slotted home left footed past Heath to the delight of the United faithful.

Rushden almost served up an instant response with first Nabil Shariff firing weakly straight at Jack Smith before the same player collected inside the area from Gyasi, the initial shot was well blocked by Llewellyn-Reid and when the ball ran back to Gyasi he fired over the top of the United goal.

The only moment of controversy in the game came just before the break when Joyce-Dwarika broke away only to be deliberately tripped from behind by the already cautioned Westwood, much to the dismay of the United players, referee Kyle took a lenient approach when surely a second caution should have been due. Diamonds manager Andy Peaks however took note of the final warning and immediately replaced his defender with Cameron Gilchrist.

The downside for United was that the impressive winger was to have to be replaced at the break with a dislocated shoulder looking the likely outcome of his fall from the aforementioned challenge. Before that however the visitors went closer than they had all half as Shariff cut in from the right of the box and curled a shot beyond the dive of Smith with the ball favouring United and coming back off the far post before being cleared.

Paul Hughes made a double change at the break with Manny Duku replacing the unlucky Joyce-Dwarika and another debutant in the shape of former Peterborough defender, Keanu Robinson, replacing Melvin Adesida at right-back. Duku quickly came into play as deep Smith free-kick against the wind was brought down by Duncan Culley who fed Duku, the United top scorers shot on the turn being held by Heath.

Eight minutes into the half and United were thankful for the quality of Smith between the sticks, Gyasi worked the ball in from the right this time, again Shariff was the recipient, his well struck drive being superbly pushed away by Smith before being cleared by Danny Hutchins.

At the three-quarter mark of the game and with the wind in the visitors favour, Smith was again called into action, this time tipping an 18 yard drive by Hoban over the top, the catalyst for the move again being Gyasi. On 71 minutes Smith was again beaten, but retained his clean sheet, this time a well timed Ben Farrell header looped over the United stopper only to be headed off the line by a well positioned Danny May.

Shariff had a couple more efforts without overly troubling Smith before a rare second half sortie forwards against the wind by United saw Llewellyn-Reid collect the ball on the right side and drive in a cross that looked to be heading into the far corner of the Diamonds net only for Heath to claw the ball away to safety.

Four minutes remained and the final real chance of the game fell to the home side, Gordon ran at the Diamonds defence before switching the ball to Culley, the United striker moved forwards and hit a drive that just missed the top corner but United had done enough to maintain their unbeaten League start at the SKYex with a hard earned 3 points against a top four side.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Brian Matthews.

United Man of the Match: Toby Little.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Jack Smith
Half-Time: 1-0

Full-Time: 1-0

Referee: Mr S Kyle

Attendance: 204


Hayes & Yeading United:
I Ehui (25)

AFC Rushden & Diamonds:

Ben Heath
Melvin Adesida
Callum Westwood
Danny Hutchins
Sam Brown
Frankie Jones
Blaize Punter
Danny May ©
Liam Dolman
Komal Llewellyn-Reid
Ben Farrell
Rohdell Gordon
Joel Gyasi
Toby Little
© Richard Bunting
Duncan Culley
Claudiu Hoban
Ismael Ehui
Nabil Shariff
Luke Joyce-Dwarika
Luke Fairlamb
Joakim Ehui
Cameron Gilchrist (for Westwood, 44)
Ola Olajubu (for Duku, 75)
Darryl Smith (for Fairlamb, 69)
Andrew Ofosu
Fernando Bell-Toxtle
Manny Duku (for Joyce-Dwarika, 46)
Joe Curtis
Keano Robinson (for Adesida, 46)
Tom Lorraine (for Punter, 76)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy