Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 1
Merthyr Town 6
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Hayes & Yeading's, hopefully brief departure from playing at the SKYex, saw the travelling roadshow arrive at Hendon's Silver Jubilee Park where Merthyr Town dished out a real thumping to Mickey Lewis's side on the artificial playing surface, netting six times before United's Lloyd Macklin fired in a late consolation.

Almost from the off United to reign in the two marauding wing-backs that the visitors from Wales deployed and after just 9 minutes they took the lead when one of these, Ian Traylor, crossed from the right and the ball was met by the diving Adam Everitt only in his attempt to head clear he placed the ball beyond Louis Wells for an unfortunate own goal.

Seven minutes later a Scott Barrow corner saw the ball returned to the left wing-back on the right, his cross bounced through the six yard box evading all and sundry before going in at the far post off the knee of centre-back Rhys Baggridge to give the Welsh side a two goal lead.

Minutes later United had their first effort on target when Ernest Okoh, starting his first game after impressing from the bench previously, worked his way into the Martyrs area on the right and hit an angled shot that Glyn Garner was down quickly to gather.

Keyon Reffell went close for the Marthyrs firing just over before former Weston-super-Mare striker Kayne McLaggon basically ended the game as a contest with two goals in just six minutes. The first saw a quick Barrow throw-in find Traylor, his centre picked out McLaggon who fired in from 18 yards with the aid of a deflection. His second came on 29 minutes as Elliot Scotcher fired a lovely ball wide to Barrow and his cross was headed home touched home in the centre of the six yard box by the unmarked McLaggon.

Thankfully the rest of the half was played out without conceeding further.

The United Manager made two changes at the break to finally match the visitors formation with Academy graduates Cole Brown and Colin Mugoya replacing Harold Joseph and Jimmy Shepherd who had both seemingly been chasing shadows at full-back for the first 45 minutes.

Sadly it took the Martyrs just three minutes to net a fifth, and a third for McLaggon as the striker chased an overhead ball down the line from Kayon Reffell, evaded Yannis Ambroisine's attempted tackle, and cut inside to fire past the advancing Wells.

With United still showing little or nothing going forwards, it was no surprise when number six came for Merthyr just after the hour mark when Jenkins broke into the box on the left and fired across the six yard box to the on-coming Traylor who duly beat Wells.

With a six goal advantage, the visitors eased off in possession and United created a handfull of chances as the end of the game drew closer. A quick Okoh throw-in found Lloyd Macklin, his shot on the turn forcing Garner to dive and grab the ball at the foot of the far post before Academy graduates Cole Brown and Dylan Kearney combined, the latter's shot being blocked in the box by a sliding defender.

Traylor nearly had his second ten minutes from time only to be distracted by the attentions of Mugoya which allowed Wells to close down and block his effort away to safety.

United finally found the net to ruin Garner's clean sheet with seven minutes remaining as Baggridge's weak back header from Wells' goal-kick was chased by Macklin who lofted the ball over the on-coming 'keeper before chasing it into the net and getting felled from behind in a needless tackle that saw Baggridge cautioned and the striker limping off leaving United to fight out the final minutes with 10 having used all three substitutes.

United have a chance to bounce back quickly when 7th placed Chesham United, including former United defender Darren Purse, visit on Tuesday evening. A reminder that this game takes place at Beaconsfield SYCOB FC.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Colin Mugoya.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Merthyr Town
Louis Wells
Half-Time: 0-4

Full-Time: 1-6

Referee: Mr R Atkin

Attendance: 143


Hayes & Yeading United:
Macklin (83)

Merthyr Town:
Everitt (9 own goal)
Baggridge (16)
McLaggon (24, 29 & 48)
Traylor (61)

Glyn Garner
Jimmy Shepherd
Ian Traylor
Harold Joseph
Scott Barrow
James Harper
Curtis McDonald
Yannis Ambroisine
Gethin Jones
Tom Broadbent
Rhys Baggridge
Ernest Okoh
Elliot Scotcher
Adam Everitt ©
© Ashley Evans
Melford Simpson
Kayne McLaggon
Lloyd Macklin
Keyon Reffell
Sam Humphreys
Corey Jenkins
Dylan Kearney (for Humphreys, 66)
Jarrad Wright (for Evans, 63)
Mo Otuyo
Scott Tancock (for McDonald, 55)
Matt Sinclair
Jon Brown
Cole Brown (for Shepherd, 46)
Jaye Bowen (for McLaggon, 55)
Colin Mugoya (for Joseph, 46)
Curtis Hutson
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy