Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Leamington 2
Hayes & Yeading Utd

No fewer than 5 debutants were present in the Hayes & Yeading side as joint managers, Ritchie Hanlon and Paul Hughes look to stamp their mark on to this United side. Also returning and captaining the team, Tom Broadbent however he was unable to prevent his side from another defeat.

The game started at a lively pace and as early as the 2nd minute, the hosts had a good chance to open the scoring, however Ryan Rowe saw his shot go wide of debutant goalkeeper Danny Boness’s goal.

The visitors responded almost immediately as Mitchell Weiss struck an effort straight at Tony Breeden.

With only 10 minutes played, Leamington had another good chance to open the scoring. Connor Gudger playing a one-two with Rowe but he was unable to control his shot as it sailed over the bar.

With table topping Leamington applying pressure, their hard work was rewarded when the visitors had a free-kick towards the touch line. An excellent delivery from Rob Thompson-Brown was fired in and unfortunately glanced into his own net by Tom Broadbent.

Once Leamington had the lead, the game became a lot scrappier with both teams guilty of giving away needless free-kicks.

However, in the 37th minute the hosts doubled their advantage as Broadbent took a risk by playing the ball to Olu Durojaiye who gave away possession cheaply to Rowe. A nice interchange with Ahmed Obeng resulted into Rowe calmly striking the ball into the corner of the United goal.

With the half time whistle approaching, it was again the hosts who had another chance to score. A Rob Thompson-Brown corner was not cleared and Obeng's well timed shot was deflected wide.

The second half started off at a good pace and Josh Hutchinson had an excellent opportunity to halve the deficit. The skilful Mahlondo Martin did well to create the chance for Hutchinson but was unable to convert his chance as Breeden saved well with the ball rebounding off the crossbar and out for a corner.

Growing in confidence, United had another chance to score as Broadbent’s long clearance found Weiss who was one-on-one with Breeden but he was also denied by the Leamington goalkeeper.

With just over 20 minutes to play, Rowe found space in the United penalty area and saw his header flash past the post following a corner from Thompson-Brown.

Moments later, Weiss and Hutchinson combined again to create a chance but Hutchinson was unlucky not to score as he was denied again by the outstanding Brakes skipper Breeden.

It seems luck was not on United’s side as Breeden pulled off another excellent save as Manny Adebowale’s 35 yard strike was tipped onto the post and out of play.

With only minutes on the referees watch, Leamington had the final chance of the match as Baker-Richardson’s long range effort crashed against the top of the bar and over.

An improved performance from United and one they can build upon as Ritchie and Paul’s men try to haul themselves up the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier table.

Report by Taz Phalora.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Mahlondo Martin.

Hayes & Yeading United
Tony Breeden ©
Half-Time: 2-0

Full-Time: 2-0

Referee: Mr M Howes

Attendance: 404


Broadbent (16 own goal)
Rowe (37)

Hayes & Yeading United:

Danny Boness
Richard Taundry
Brian Evans
Connor Gudger
Jack Kelly
Darren Pond
Olu Durojaiye
Jamie Hood
Manny Adebowale
James Mace
© Tom Broadbent
Courtney Baker-Richardson
Ryan Hope
Jack Edwards
Terence Carter
Ryan Rowe
Mitchell Weiss
Rob Thompson-Brown
Josh Hutchinson
Ahmed Obeng
Mahlondo Martin
Callum Gittings (for Thompson-Brown)
Jerson Dos Santos (for Carter)
Joe Magunda (for Edwards)
Mo Otuyo
Ben George (for Taundry)
Colin Mugoya
Tom James
Dylan Kearney
Nathan Olukanmi
Joe Debayo
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy