Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Frome Town 2
Hayes & Yeading Utd 1
Hayes & Yeading’s first match outside of the National League structure did not end well as a long trip to Somerset saw Mickey Lewis’s side return empty handed, losing by the odd goal in three at Frome Town in our Evo-Stik Southern Premier opening fixture.

United opened brightly and in the opening minutes a burst through the middle by Lloyd Macklin saw the striker clearly pulled back by a Robins defender in what was a clear goalscoring opportunity but the incident was waved away by referee Simon Shaw much to the disbelief of United players and management alike.

Minutes later United received the proverbial kick in the teeth when defensively we seemed to fall asleep, a cross from the right seeing Mitchell Page dive in the plant an excellent header beyond the unprotected Louis Wells to give the Robins an early lead.

Buoyed by this, the home side started to take the game to United. The impressive Dan Cleverley hit a dipping free-kick from fully 30 yards that only just cleared the crossbar before Wells saved from Page after a neat interchange with his strike partner Josh Ferguson.

Three minutes later United’s first real effort on goal saw Ismael Ehui meet a Macklin cross, his high looping header forcing home custodian Scott Corderoy to tip the ball over the top.

Just past the half hour mark United levelled when a burst in to the area on the left by Macklin ended with Robins defender Kriss Miller sliding in and taking man and ball, a challenge that Mr Shaw decided was a foul and he pointed to the spot. Ehui stepped up and coolly sent Corderoy the wrong way from 12 yards.

Minutes later though Corderoy was to make the save of the match to keep his side level, a ball in from the flank was part cleared to James Harper, his initial volley was blocked but when the ball came straight back to him, the second volley was crisply hit and appeared to be heading for the Robins net only for a superb tip over by Corderoy.

As the half came towards its conclusion, the Robins found the net for a second and almost a third time. On 40 minutes, United were again caught napping at the back, a free-kick in from the right was knocked down in the box by Ferguson allowing Cleverley to tuck the ball past Wells from close range.

A third almost came shortly after when a Cleverley free-kick was met by Jon Davies but his header was inches off target and United went in a goal adrift at the break.

The home side made an early opening again in the second half when Cleverley curled a free-kick past the United wall and only just wide of the post while United really didn’t get anything going in the forwards department until the arrival of Melford Simpson and Matt Sinclair from the bench.

In fact Simpson had the ball in the Robins net with virtually his first touch in the 67th minute when he hit home the rebound from a Cole Brown shot that Corderoy had done well to keep out, the powerhouse striker being disappointed though as the assistant’s raised flag signalled that he was offside.

As the game moved in to the final ten minutes it was really a case of attack versus defence with the home side remaining very organised at the back and relying on breakaways from long punts up field to keep United at bay.

The 81st minute saw Sinclair find fellow substitute Yassin Moutaouakil on the right wing, the full-backs centre seeing Simpson win the ball above Corderoy only for a well positioned Jordan Walker to head the ball off the line.

United continued to push for an equaliser, Harper picked out Simpson at the far past but hit could only find the side netting with his header before Cole Brown and Colin Mugoya combined with the latter also picking out Simpson at the far post but again he could not find the target and United were coming home pointless on day one.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: James Harper.

Frome Town
Hayes & Yeading United
Scott Corderoy
Half-Time: 2-1

Full-Time: 2-1

Referee: Mr S Shaw

Attendance: 229


Frome Town:
Page (9)
Cleverley (40)

Hayes & Yeading United:
I Ehui (31 pen)
Louis Wells
Kriss Miller
Jim Fenlon
Jordan Walker
Kamal Guthmy
Marcus Mapstone
Colin Mugoya
Connor Roberts
Yannis Ambroisine
George Miller
© Adam Everitt
Dan Cleverley
Dave Olufemi
Jon Davies ©
James Harper
Josh Ferguson
Lloyd Macklin
Mitchell Page
Ismael Ehui
Mike Bryant
Cole Brown
Jake Jackson
Dylan Kearney
Pierce Mitchell (for Walker, 82)
Mo Otuyo
James Difford
Matt Sinclair (for Olufemi, 67)
Harvey Moss (for Ferguson, 78)
Yassin Moutaouakil (for Guthmy, 34)
Charlie Harris
Melford Simpson (for Ehui, 65)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy