Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Weston-super-Mare 0
Hayes & Yeading Utd 2
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Hayes and Yeading travelled down to North Somerset on a chilly February Tuesday evening, and returned with the maximum three points on offer, courtesy of a dominant performance against a Weston-super-Mare outfit who were on a 3 month run of 9 league games unbeaten prior to the match.

The gaffer made three changes from the side that drew with Eastbourne Boro seven days previous, with Lewis Ferrell slotting in at right-back in place of Jim Fenlon, Emmanuel Monthe coming in for the now departed Devante McKain, and Charlie Kennedy preferred in the second strikers role, to fellow Barnet loanee Justin Nwogu, the latter taking his place amongst the substitutes.

The game itself started slowly with the first chance of note coming in the eighth minute when Lewis Ferrell tried his luck from the edge of the box, but his effort was well fielded by Seagulls 'keeper Luke Purnell.

The first chance for the hosts saw a cross from the left drop in the six yard box where Charlie Burns did well to block out a point blank effort from Tristan Plummer before the ball was worked back inside to Jake McClennan, his effort being well blocked by Darren Purse.

Fifteen minutes in, a promising move started with a Luke Williams advance and ended with Elliot Benyon firing inches wide of the target from the edge of the box when a pass left to the unmarked Max Worsfold may have been the better option.

Worsfold then broke in to the Seagulls box on the left, his low well struck cross finding a sliding Everitt by Purnell was well placed to field the ball. Just a few minutes later, United were awarded a free-kick out on the left and as the ball entered the box, Emmanuel Monthe rose highest but was unable to direct his backward header on to the target.

Now, with United asserting their superiority all over the park, it wasn't going to be long before the travelling support had something to cheer. And sure enough, on 26 minutes, Williams sprayed the ball left to Worsfold, he outpaced Pat Keary and fired low in to the far corner beyond Purnell's dive to give United a one goal advantage.

Immediately from the re-start, Seagulls skipper Dayle Grubb advanced the ball to the edge of the United box and hit a shot that only just evaded the top corner of Charlie Burns' net.

The visitors continued to pile forward in search of a killer second strike and on 34 minutes, after yet another sublime move, a Luke Williams effort sailed harmlessly over the bar and United went in ahead at the break.

Just six minutes into the second period, what looked to be a clear penalty for a foul by Purnell on the tireless Benyon, was unbelieveably waved away by referee Mr Laver.

Just two minutes later though, United got their just reward when Max Worsfold made it two for the visitors with his second of the game. Worsfold himself started the move on the left, his low deep cross was retrieved by Williams who found Lewis Ferrell, his centre saw an attempted clearance hit a fellow defender on the back, the ball falling to Worsfold who without hesitation, tucked the ball back into the Weston net.

The hosts went forward, in search of a goal of their own, but it was not to be as United defended solidly in numbers.

After a short period of non activity, United broke dangerously and a Charlie Kennedy effort from some 20 yards sailed just wide of the 'keepers left hand upright.

With just eight minutes remaining, Weston's recently signed Greek striker Ioannis Varouxakis saw red for a second bookable offence, and he was joined on the sidelines by his manager Ryan Northmore who was removed from the bench for his voicing displeasure at some of the officials decisions.

With the hosts now down to ten men, United were able to comfortably close out the game, and claim a thoroughly professional and deserved victory.

Report by Mick Nile.

United Man of the Match: Max Worsfold.

Hayes & Yeading United
Luke Purnell
Half-Time: 0-1

Full-Time: 0-2

Referee: Mr A Laver

Attendance: 340



Hayes & Yeading United:
Worsfold (26 & 53)
Charlie Burns
Ben Withey
Lewis Ferrell
Ollie Barnes
Jordaan Brown
Jacob Cane
© Adam Everitt
Pat Keary
Darren Purse
Jamie Edge
Emmanuel Monthe
Jake McClennan
Luke Williams
Tristan Plummer
Ashley Lodge
Ioannis Varouxakis
Elliot Benyon
Dayle Grubb ©
Charlie Kennedy
Alex Byrne
Max Worsfold
Syd Camper
Ismael Ehui (for Benyon, 90+1)
Clayton Fortune
Rourke Pickford
Danny Wring (for Grubb, 31)
Elliott Simpson
Tyler Davis
Justin Nwogu (for Everitt, 87)
James Taylor
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy