Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 2
Concord Rangers 2
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
For the second consecutive Saturday, Hayes & Yeading lost two vital points from a winning position, this weeks’ being hardest to take as having fought back from a goal down with five minutes left to take the lead, a goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time saw the visitors from Essex draw level.

United started well and in just the fifth minute top scorer Elliot Benyon was played through into the Rangers box by Sean Cronin courtesy of a neat Luke Williams step over, his shot had some of the sting taken off it by the diving Ben McNamara but the ball continued to make slow progress towards the goal only for Jay Dowie to slide in and clear the ball to safety off the line.

It was fully 20 minutes before either ‘keeper was troubled again and it was former United trialist McNamara again who came to his sides’ rescue. Benyon won the ball in the air, Max Worsfold won the second header finding Benyon once more, the strikers’ shot being deflected wide by McNamara who spread himself well.

With the visitors, despite having a good share of possession, being held comfortably at bay by the United defence it was the home side who again created an opening just past the half hour mark when Worsfold intercepted a weak midfield pass and ran at the Concord box, his final effort from 20 yards going the wrong side of the upright.

Almost immediately the visitors created a good opening when Sam Collins advanced on to a Max Cornhill pass in the United box, but on being closed down quickly by James Hamon and Darren Purse he to missed the target.

The final chance of the half fell to the returning Williams, having intercepted a ball on the left of the Concord box played by Dowie, he tried his luck from the edge of the box but with little venom in the shot McNamara was down to easily grasp the ball at the foot of his post.

United started the second half once more in the ascendancy and with just a couple of minutes played Worsfold dispossessed Dowie and unleashed a shot from 20 yards that McNamara did well to tip over the top.

Just before the hour mark the visitors struck the first blow when Steve Cawley controlled a pass from midfield and fed the ball in to the path of Joao Carlos just inside the left side of the United box, he took a touch before firing past Hamon’s dive with the aid of a slight deflection from the defender attempting to block.

The visitors gained momentum from taking the lead and minutes later could have doubled their advantage when a quick breakaway saw the ball played to Lewis Taaffe, his volley being deflected over by a well timed Monthe tackle.

Still Rangers pressed, James White volleyed wide after Purse had cleared a Taaffe corner before Purse gave away possession with a poor cross-field back-pass that went straight to Taaffe, Hamon doing well to save with his legs on the edge of the box before the ball was cleared to safety.

With five minutes remaining it really looked like United’s luck was out when Worsfold curled a superb shot with his weaker right foot beyond the fingers of McNamara only for the ball to crash back off the far post before being cleared. The clearance didn’t make much distance though as the ball was soon back with substitute Tom Collins on the right, his excellent centre being met by Monthe who headed home from close range.

Three minutes later United were nearly caught flat footed though when Taaffe received the ball in the box courtesy of a precise pass from substitute Cameron Lindsay, only to be denied by Hamon who was quickly off his line to deny the Rangers striker.

As the game entered its final minute of normal time, another United substitute, the under-used Ismael Ehui collect the ball from Williams in the box with his back to goal only to be tripped by Hammond as he tried to turn, referee Mr Lymer pointing straight to the spot. Benyon stepped up and fired United ahead from 12 yards just as the indicator board went up to show, to many peoples surprise, five minutes.

The visitors pushed everything forwards at United and the home defence looked to be holding firm until with about 20 seconds remaining Concord's own substitute Ben Greenhalgh was picked out by Collins in an almost identical position as Carlos was when he opened the scoring, and with the same result, he fired past Hamon to level the scores.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Brian Matthews.

United Man of the Match: Adam Everitt.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Concord Rangers
James Hamon
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 2-2

Referee: Mr C Lymer

Attendance: 148


Hayes & Yeading United:
Monthe (85)
Benyon (90 pen)

Concord Rangers:
Carlos (59)
Greenhalgh (90+5)

Ben McNamara
Sean Cronin
Jay Dowie
Jordaan Brown
Tom Stephen
Adam Everitt ©
Max Cornhill
Darren Purse
Steve King
Emmanuel Monthe
James Hammond
Ashley Lodge
Lewis Taaffe
James Harper
© James White
Elliot Benyon
Steve Cawley
Luke Williams
Sam Collins
Max Worsfold
Joao Carlos
Ismael Ehui (for Lodge, 68)
John Easterford
Tom Collins (for Brown, 81)
Andy Young
Adetayo Osifuwa
Ben Greenhalgh (for King, 68)
Shepherd Murombedzi
Cameron Lindsay (for Carlos, 81)
Colin Mugoya
Adam Topley
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy