Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Bath City 2
Hayes & Yeading Utd 3
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Elliot Benyon scored a dramatic late winner in the seventh minute of stoppage time for Garry Haylock’s side in a real show of spirit and character.

In a breathless game of football United lost a 2 goal lead only to see heartache turn to joy in a game that contained nearly everything.

Dan Lincoln was the hero though as he saved two penalties and made a string of great saves including a stunning save from Dan Ball.

It seemed a foregone conclusion at half time that Garry Haylock’s side would win, but the game swung dramatically as Bath made a half time substitution and a change in tactics. Nick McCootie was introduced to replace Kaid Mohamed, and Andy Watkins was moved onto the Bath right side of attack. Whilst much of Britain was being battered by storm Desmond, United had to resist a different type of storm in Bath.

McCootie’s size and speed caused trouble to the United defence throughout the second half as Bath delivered the ball up the pitch much quicker and more directly. Watkins gave the United defence real trouble in the second half his pace and width caused a threat throughout the half.

It was Watkins who showed Bath’s intentions just seconds after the restart when his early pass found McCootie who bustled past the United defence on the left side of the box and his dangerous cross just evaded strike partner David Pratt’s head.

The early sight of goal in the second half gave the hosts a lift and the pressure increased on the United goal, in the 48th minute Watkins flicked the ball over Lewis Ferrell and then he tumbled over as the referee awarded the hosts a penalty. Frankie Artus stepped up for the second time and hit it low to Dan Lincoln’s left and yet again the keeper was equal to the task producing a fantastic save. From the resultant corner Lincoln produced an even better save, this time from Dan Ball’s header which seemed destined for the top left hand corner only for Lincoln to claw the ball away.

The pressure continued on Garry Haylock’s team and the hosts pulled a goal back in controversial circumstances. Lincoln appeared to be fouled by Pratt as he punched a cross clear which left the dangerous Watkins able to poke into an unguarded goal from just outside the six yard box. It was going to be a long 40 minutes!

The pressure continued on the United goal, Ben Adelsbury firing just wide and Lincoln saving well to deny a McCootie header, but Hayes & Yeading began to get a foothold back in the game, slowing the game down but at the same time always looking likely to score when they attacked.

29 minutes from time United had a great chance to put the game to bed, Matt Jay’s fantastic pass found Mason Spence, who beat his man and cut inside the box before unleashing a shot that forced a good save from Steve Phillips, the rebound fell to Jay who smashed the ball goal wards only for a fantastic goal line clearance from the home defender who used his midriff to get the ball off the line.

United defended with great character and were well organised, Lincoln made a good save to deny Pratt midway through the half and four minutes later when well placed, Pratt smashed the ball well over. For all the hosts possession the good chances continued to come for United, sub Josh Scott seized onto a loose ball broke free of the hosts defence and from 18 yards smashed just wide. Minutes later Benyon produced a great save from Phillips as Jay looked ready to pounce on the rebound a great defensive clearance denied the Exeter loanee.

It was down the Hayes and Yeading right where all the trouble was coming and after defending numerous attacks and corners they finally succumbed to the pressure 9 minutes from time when a right wing corner was headed home from short range, as centre half Ball escaped his marker.

At 2-2 the game became fascinating as both teams tried to hold onto at least a point but at the same time look to win all three points, a great save from Lincoln denied the ever dangerous Watkins.

As normal time expired Ferrell went down under a challenge from Pratt, the big defender needed extensive treatment that forced additional injury time that led to Ferrell being stretched off and we all wish him a speedy recovery.

Seven minutes into stoppage time and with time running out, United had one last attack, Elliott Simpson drove into the box and as he went to shoot a tackle took the ball away from him, it ran to Jay whose first time shot produced a great save from Phillips, the rebound ran to Benyon who closed in from his right midfield position to fire home from close range and spark wild Hayes and Yeading celebrations.

The first half was a different story, United were in control for much of the half with a thoroughly professional performance, the side were organised defensively and controlled as well as dangerous going forward. The forward combination of Benyon and Jay who played just off him caused the hosts defence trouble throughout the half.

Both Benyon and Jay worked tirelessly throughout the game with fantastic movement going forward and working hard to shut the hosts down when without the ball. It was Jay who particularly caught the eye in the first half as his skill and vision on the ball were outstanding as he was the outstanding player on the pitch in the first half.

Jay had the United first sight of goal in the 7th minute when his low drive was deflected just wide, from the resultant corner Devante McKain had a great chance but his powerful header was also just wide. This was after Lincoln had pulled off a good near post 5th minute save to deny Watkins.

United took the lead in the 9th minute when Jake Sheppard did well winning a header to stop Bath getting out of their defensive third of the pitch, the ball fell to Luke Williams who fed Jay, Jay turned a defender dragged the ball past another defender and then hit a low shot into the bottom right hand corner from 10 yards.

In control of the game, United nearly doubled their lead in the 24th minute when Benyon headed the ball against the crossbar from a fantastic cross but with the ball running loose play was pulled up by an offside decision.

Two minutes later United doubled the lead, another great Jay pass found Spence down the left hand side, he cutback and rolled the ball back to the edge of the box, Benyon got a touch to turn the ball on, Luke Williams ran onto the ball who drilled low into the bottom right hand corner of the net with a very similar finish to the first.

With the team still basking in the glow of the goal, McKain had to be alert with an important defensive tackle within a minute of the goal. Minutes later the hosts had a good chance to get back into the game, Watkins was bundled over clumsily by McKain, who otherwise had an outstanding game. Dan Lincoln then made a good save diving to his left to deny Frankie Artus from the penalty spot.

Whilst Bath had most of the possession in the closing 10 minutes of the half, Garry Haylock’s men were well organised and held the hosts at arm’s length in fact United came close to scoring again two minutes before the break. Luke Williams’ low right ring cross was merely inches from being turned home by the on-rushing Benyon.

The injury to Ferrell and the sight of McKain limping off after the game may take a little of the gloss off this performance but overall a very successful afternoon’s work that showed the spirit of this side that all United fans can take heart from.

Report by Nick Griffith.

United Man of the Match: Dan Lincoln.

Bath City
Hayes & Yeading United
Steve Phillips
Half-Time: 0-2

Full-Time: 2-3

Referee: Mr R MacKay

Attendance: 432


Bath City:
Watkins (50)
Ball (81)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Jay (9)
Williams (25)
Benyon (90+7)
Dan Lincoln
Sekani Simpson
Jake Sheppard
Andy Gallinagh ©
Max Worsfold
Jack Batten
Lewis Ferrell
Dan Ball
Devante McKain
Chas Hemmings
Elliott Simpson
Frankie Artus
Luke Williams
Ben Adelsbury
© Adam Everitt
David Pratt
Elliot Benyon
Andy Watkins
Matt Jay
Kaid Mohamed
Mason Spence
Brad Williams
Josh Scott (for Williams, 65)
Miles John (for Artus, 90+2)
Rourke Pickford
Jack Smith
Ismael Ehui
Nick McCootie (for Mohamed, 46)
Dylan Kearney
Dan Bowman (for Simpson, 64)
Colin Mugoya (for Ferrell, 90+2)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy