Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Woking 2
Hayes & Yeading Utd 1

A Hayes and Yeading United under 18 side missing key players such as Josiah Benjamin and Dylan Kearney bowed out of the Ryman Youth League Champions Cup at the semi final stage to a strong Woking side who just about shaded the game and deserved to take their place in the final.

The game started well for Tristan Lewis's side, as they survived some early pressure before taking the lead with a superb volley from Conor Tierney. Charlie Mitchell and Cole Brown were both involved in the build up as United advanced menacingly on the right hand side. The ball came inside to Jack Thomson-Wheeler whose little flick on was volleyed in from 18 yards, beating Alex Harris and landing just inside the near post.

Woking were stung into action and responded with a low 20 yard shot from midfielder Jake Gill which George Upton had to dive down to his right to gather in at full stretch. Play swung again and from a Thomson-Wheeler out swinging right sided free kick, Colin Mugoya headed inches over. Then when Harris mistimed a punch from another free kick delivery, the ball looped into the air and Curtis Cyrus headed towards the empty net only for Danny Knight to leap high to head the ball clear. More good work from Mitchell to get to the byline and deliver a dangerous ball in brought about the next opportunity as a sliced clearance fell to Thomson-Wheeler on the edge of the box but he fired first time straight at Harris.

United suffered a blow on the half hour mark as Mugoya pulled up and had to be replaced. This brought about a reshuffle that saw Timon Khyne-Sam come on up front and goal scorer Tierney fill the hole at centre half. Woking took advantage on 35 minutes with an equaliser as Bayley Mummery got in behind the United defence and finished past the exposed Upton.

They stayed in the ascendency for the rest of the half and Upton produced a fine save to tip Charlie Carter's 25 yard free kick onto the post. In first half stoppage time, from another Carter free kick effort that was blocked by the wall, Rammelle La Blanc hit a deflected effort which Upton caught with good safe hands.

United made a change at half time, with Aaron Fetherston replacing Kreshnik Rexhepi in midfield. However, the home side had the first effort of the second half on a quick breakaway. Max Austin took on Cyrus and his shot looped up off the defender's leg and landed on the crossbar. Gill headed the rebound straight into Upton's hands. Gill then hit the bar himself direct from a corner and Tommy Stephens fired a 20 yard piledriver inches wide.

It took a great move from Ross McKernan to spark United into life. He robbed Gill before going on a purposeful run and slipping Matt Sinclair through. The forward burst through the left channel before angling in a shot which was cleared off the line. The resulting corner was fumbled by Harris and sent back across goal, just evading the lunging Khyne-Sam. Then from the next corner, The ball fell to Fetherston, and being charged down, he intelligently laid the ball off to Sinclair who fired just over.

Another spell of pressure came when Brown showed Stephens a clean pair of heels and got to the byline to earn a corner. From this, Fetherston rose highest to head towards goal but it was blocked on the line and cleared. Woking rallied and Upton produced a fine save to deny Austin from a header. They then took the lead on 76 minutes, as Carter headed in a deep corner which went in off the underside of the crossbar.

United had to dig deep for a response and Matt Marques pounced on a loose ball to fire goalwards only for Harris to gather. However, Woking's tails were up, and after some pressure, Cards midfielder Carter fired over from a good position inside the penalty area. Another corner kick caused chaos in the United box as the ball ricocheted dangerously back and forth before it was eventually cleared. Then, Jack French hit a good free kick which Upton did well to hold onto low to his right.

On 90 minutes, Aaron Smith-Joseph broke after a spell of United pressure and hit a ferocious shot which Upton tipped wide. He then broke away again as play became very open, only to be denied by the on rushing Upton again. It was just about right that he didn't however, as although Woking deserved their victory, any more than a one goal margin would have been harsh on United.

Report by Nick Bell.

United Man of the Match: Conor Tierney.

Hayes & Yeading United
Alex Harris ©
Half-Time: 1-1

Full-Time: 2-1

Referee: Mr M Denne

Attendance: n/k


Mummery (35)
Carter (76)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Tierney (12)

George Upton
Will Bateman
Charlie Mitchell
Tommy Stephens
Ross McKernan
Ramelle La Blanc
Kreshnik Rexhepi
Danny Knight
Curtis Cyrus
Andrew Mills
Colin Mugoya
Jake Gill
Cole Brown
Charlie Carter
© Jack Thomson-Wheeler
Max Austin
Conor Tierney
Jack French
Matt Sinclair
Bayley Mummery
Matt Marques
Aaron Smith-Joseph (for Austin, 74)
Timon Khyne-Sam (for Mugoya, 29)
Harry Chew
Aaron Fetherston (for Rexhepi, 46)
Daniel Mohoney
Mikey Rhodes (for Marques, 85)
Jake Treagus
Rico Luis
Harry Rapley
Sean Meaney
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy