Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Chertsey Town 1
Hayes & Yeading Utd

A Dylan Kearney hat-trick was the highlight as Hayes and Yeading United's under 18 side proved too strong for Chertsey Town, running out 7-1 winners.

It took just 40 seconds for United's first attempt at goal as the returning Dylan Kearney rose to head Jack Thomson-Wheeler's free kick wide of the left upright. Another header from a Thomson-Wheeler dead ball, this time a corner, was also wayward as Josiah Benjamin glanced wide from right in front of goal. However the third headed chance for United did break the deadlock as Ben Slade sent over a deep cross which Kearney met firmly with a header which ended up in the top corner.

It took Chertsey just three minutes to equalise with their first attack. Hesitation over a long ball from United's defence let Jack Sherwood in behind them and he rode George Upton's block tackle to roll the ball into the empty net behind him. They almost got an immediate second as Billy Friar survived Colin Mugoya's challenge on the right wing and angled in towards goal, but fired his shot inches over.

Kearney's control up front began to take some pressure off and on 24 minutes, it paid off as he combined with Cole Brown to tee up Thomson-Wheeler 30 yards out. He saw a gap to James Brace's left and curled the ball with precision into the corner to make it 2-1.

United resumed control and five minutes after taking the lead, Charlie Mitchell fired in a 25 yard shot which Brace did well to parry wide and from the resulting corner, Benjamin headed into the Curfews' keeper's hands. However, it wasn't long before the pressure told and Matt Sinclair passed to Cole Brown on the left hand side. The winger cut inside before planting an unstoppable right footed shot into the top corner.

Brace was able to stop Brown's next effort, a low shot through a crowded box which he did well to get down to grasp down to his right. Just before the break it became 4-1 as Mitchell retrieved the loose ball from his own blocked shot to power the ball in past Brace's left hand from 20 yards out and although Kearney hit a free kick just over the bar, that is how the scoreline remained until half time.

Three minutes after the break, a fine break led to United extending the lead to 5-1. Brown hit a crossfield ball which Slade retrieved and his pass to Bruno Morais led to low centre. Kearney took an air shot at it, but the ball was picked up by Brown on the edge of the box who gave it back to Kearney for an assured finish.

Brown had the next opportunity as the second half seemed to be following a similar pattern to the first, but he will be disappointed with his weak shot which Brace was able to gather comfortably. However, on 66 minutes, Kearney claimed his hat-trick connecting with Slade's throughball with a header which he looped over the advancing Brace. It was his last involvement before being withdrawn as part of a double substitution.

United continued to press and substitute Ross McKernan almost grabbed a debut goal with a header from Slade's cross which just cleared the crossbar. However, Slade was on hand to score the seventh soon afterwards, after Thomson-Wheeler's corner was not effectively cleared and he volleyed the ball back into the roof of the net.

Chertsey's best chance of the second half came in the 78th minute as two substitutes combined. Stephen Franklin beat Mugoya and threaded the ball to Kai Alderson-Beary who shot across the face of Upton's goal.

Play then switched back to the other end as Slade hit a rising shot which Brace caught smartly. Substitute Chris Rose then went on a remarkable weaving run only to be denied by Brace's block. Then, both Rose and Sinclair were denied in the closing stages by blocks on the line, first by Brace and then by Sherwood.

In the end though, it was a comfortable, morale boosting victory to extend the team's unbeaten league record further into the season.

Report by Nick Bell.

United Man of the Match: Jack Thomson-Wheeler.

Chertsey Town
Hayes & Yeading United
James Brace Half-Time: 1-4

Full-Time: 1-7

Referee: Mr M Denne

Attendance: n/k


Chertsey Town:
Sherwood (13)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Kearney (10, 48 & 66)
Thomson-Wheeler (24)
Brown (34)
Mitchell (42)
Slade (73)
George Upton
Jack Hulmes
Charlie Mitchell
Jack Sweeney
Mikey Rhodes
James Cartwright
© Jack Thomson-Wheeler
Billy Friar
Colin Mugoya
Lewis Wade
Josiah Benjamin
Charlie Ulumoen
Bruno Morais
Jack Sherwood
Ben Slade
Ben Lyons
Dylan Kearney
Luke Robertson
Matt Sinclair
Jack Moore
Cole Brown
Sam Thomson (for Lyons, 65)
Ross McKernan (for Morais, 60)
Kai Alderson-Beary (for Cartwright, 59)
Chris Rose (for Kearney, 66)
Stephen Franklin (for Moore, 14)
Rico Luis
David Franklin
Jack Doyle
Robbie Buttaci
Curtis Cyrus (for Brown, 66)
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy