Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 2
Wealdstone 1
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Victory over local rivals Wealdstone at York Road gives United supporters "bragging" rights over our neighbours, at least for the time being, as two first half strikes from Pat Cox saw United squeeze out a single goal victory after veteran striker Scott McGleish reduced the arrears early in the second half.

With Manager Phil Babb overseas on a prior engagement, team matters on the day were left in the capable hands of Tristan Lewis and Delroy Preddie with United fielding an attacking line-up with Rhys Murrell-Williamson, Dan Wishart and Frankie Merrifield all recalled to the side.

United started off fairly slowly with the visitors seeing a lot of early possession but really failing to get near Calum Kitscha’s goal before United struck on 12 minutes in rather unusual fashion. Our own Pat Cox and Stones skipper Sean Cronin had been having a real tussle throughout the early minutes and when Adam Everitt struck a cross from the left wing, barely as the ball left his boot referee Mr Eaton blew his whistle and pointed to the spot. Word from around the ground was that Cronin had shoved Cox to the ground off the ball, a foul that was spotted and acted upon by the eagle eyed official. Cox himself stepped up and struck the ball firmly into the corner of Jonathan North’s net to give United an early lead.

United denied themselves a potential second on 23 minutes when Dan Wishart’s centre was brought down by Rhys Murrell-Williamson who hit a powerful shot from 15 yards out only for the ball to strike one of his teammates in the crowded Stones box. Stones first real sight of the United goal came on the half hour when Luke O’Nien and Samir Bihmoutine combined down the left, the low centre being controlled by Tom Collins who saw his shot well blocked by the sliding Everitt.

Seven minutes before the break the visitors did have the ball in the United net as Scott McGleish planted a spectacular overhead kick from Carl Martin’s centre past Kitscha only to be denied by the raised assistants flag ruling his effort out for offside.

In first half stoppage time Cox and United netted number two. The United striker managed to get a little separation from Cronin’s attentions and rose to meet Wishart’s centre, planting an excellent header past North into the top corner of the Stones net.

First effort on goal after the break came from the home side as Everitt won possession and fed skipper Matty Harriott, the former Nothampton man hitting a low shot from 25 yards that North did well to get down to at the foot of the post.

Just minutes later and Gordon Bartlett’s side were back in the hunt, a ball across the box appeared to strike an arm, not sure from which side but with no whistle being blown Collins played the ball past Kitscha into the middle thus providing a mere tap in for McGleish.

Dean Inman then went close for United with a far post header from Murrell-Williamson’s free-kick before another free-kick, this time at the other end was curled just wide of the top corner by Watford loanee O’Nien.

As play continued to switch, Murrell-Williamson collected a long Kitscha clearance inside the Stones area but fired wide and from the resultant goal-kick O’Nien collected the ball and hit a volley from 20 yards that Kitscha pushed away and was thankful that the ball dropped the right side of the upright from a United perspective.

Just a few minutes later with the visitors starting to throw everything forwards an excellent block on the ground by Matt Ruby denied former United man, one of 5 in the Stones squad, Jack Mills as he let fly from the edge of the box.

With three minutes remaining the final scare for either keeper came courtesy of Cox who collected the ball from Joe Anyinsah and moved into a shooting position just outside the area, his low well struck effort being pushed out at the foot of the post by North with Cronin hacking the ball clear before a United boot could reach it.

After more than five minutes of stoppage time with nothing to overly scare Kitscha, the final whistle blew and it was three points to United as the newly promoted Stones still search out their first win of the season which I’m sure on that performance is not far away.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

Surespeed Couriers United Man of the Match: Gary MacDonald

presented above by former Yeading FC and Hayes FC legend Nathan Bunce) .

Surespeed Couriers Wealdstone Man of the Match: Scott McGleish.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Calum Kitscha
Half-Time: 2-0

Full-Time: 2-1

Referee: Mr D Eaton

Attendance: 406


Hayes & Yeading United:
Cox (12 pen & 45+1)

McGleish (51)

Jonathan North
Ashleigh Artwell
Jack Mills
Adam Everitt
Samir Bihmoutine
Gary MacDonald
Tom Hamblin
Matt Ruby
© Sean Cronin
Dean Inman
Carl Martin
Rhys Murrell-Williamson
Joe Turner
Matty Harriott ©
Tom Hickey
Pat Cox
Scott McGleish
Dan Wishart
Tom Collins
Frankie Merrifield
Luke O'Nien
Joe Anyinsah (for Merrifield, 86)
Elliott Godfrey
David Ijaha (for Wishart, 53)
Jonny Wright (for Collins, 66)
De'Reece Vanderhyde (for Murrell-Williamson, 80)
Luke Pigden
Myles Stephenson
Toby Little (for Bihmoutine, 83)
Alex Lynch
Michael Malcolm
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy