Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 0
Boreham Wood 3
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
After a week’s break it was back to Vanarama Conference South action for United on Saturday as high flying Boreham Wood came to York Road.

After back-to-back victories, Manager Phil Babb was hit with a problem between the sticks with Calum Kitscha returning from International duty unwell which forced a late signing and debut for Turkish born ‘keeper Ferhat Aksoy.

First effort on goal came from a United man making his first start for the club in the form of winger Vas Karagiannis who collected a cross-field ball on the edge of the box, moved inside onto his left and curled a shot towards the far corner that James Russell in the Wood goal held onto comfortably.

Minutes later a goal-kick by Aksoy was flicked on by Pat Cox to Tom Collins who set off on a jinking run into the visitor’s area only to pull his shot wide of the target.

60 seconds later United were behind when a seemingly innocuous tackle in the box saw referee Knapp point straight to the spot much to the annoyance of the United players in the area. Luke Garrard stepped up and smashed the ball into the roof of the net to give Wood an early lead.

Five minutes later the lead was to be doubled. Junior Morias chased down the ball on the left, moved past De’Reece Vanderhyde and hit a shot from the corner of the box that seemed to fly through Aksoy’s hands into the net.

On 24 minutes it should have been worse for United when Adam Everitt’s clearance attempt smashed into Matt Ruby leaving David Moli in possession 8 yards from goal only for the striker to screw his shot wide of the post.

United were dealt a further blow before 20 minutes were played when Aksoy flattened the influential Dean Inman while catching the ball which resulted in a really groggy Inman being replaced by Chimdi Akubuine.

Minutes later United went close(ish) when an Ashleigh Artwell cross was headed past his out coming ‘keeper by Garrard although Russell didn’t really have to race to play the ball off the line as he was ahead of the chasing Collins.

Play went straight back to the other end with Graeme Montgomery’s centre missing out the centre of the United defence, dropping to Moli who hit a curling shot that Aksoy did well to push around the post. The resultant corner was not claimed cleanly by the debutant United stopper and Dan Wishart hooked the ball off the line with it quickly being worked to Callum Reynolds who was closed down quickly by Akubuine who deflected the shot wide.

United nearly finished the half on a high as Karagiannis crossed from the right, Artwell collecting on the edge and firing through a crowded box only for Russell to push out his shot with Collins follow-up being flagged for offside although Russell again kept the ball out anyway.

Ten minutes into the second period United almost pulled one back when Collins was put through, his shot being partially stopped by Russell who won the race for the ball, sliding to gather at the foot of the post.

Disaster struck for United either side of the hour mark as Phil Babb’s side were reduced to 9 men. First to depart was Dan Wishart who having been cautioned in the first half slid into a tackle with Garrard and despite both player and nearby spectators saying no contact whatsoever was made, the defender’s yell led to the referee showing a second yellow to the winger.

Next to return to the changing rooms was Ferhat Aksoy who with no defensive cover to a through ball for Moli, came flying from his goal, bringing the striker down just outside the box and referee Knapp instantly showed a red card to the stopper.

Tom Collins was the sacrificial lamb as United made a final substitution which saw veteran ‘keeper Delroy Preddie return from retirement (again). Sadly his first action was to pick the ball from the net as Matthew Whichelow blasted the free-kick past the wall and into the bottom corner.

With more than 20 minutes remaining United can be somewhat thankful, or at least our goal difference can, that Wood didn’t really seize the opportunity to push for a bigger winning margin, partly due to a well organised Preddie defence.

Six minutes from time was the only real action Preddie was forced into as he dived right to tip a 25 yard Greg Morgan free-kick around the post and that was it for another day at York Road.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

Island Exhibitions United Man of the Match: Adam Everitt.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Boreham Wood
Ferhat Aksoy
Half-Time: 0-2

Full-Time: 0-3

Referee: Mr S Knapp

Attendance: 256


Hayes & Yeading United:

Boreham Wood:
Garrard (7 pen)
Morias (12)
Whichelow (66)

James Russell
De'Reece Vanderhyde
Luke Garrard
Adam Everitt
Jordan Brown
Matty Harriott ©
© Sam Cox
Matt Ruby
Josh Hill
Dean Inman
Callum Reynolds
Vas Karagiannis
Matthew Whichelow
Ashleigh Artwell
Ricky Shakes
Pat Cox
Junior Morias
Tom Collins
David Moli
Dan Wishart
Graeme Montgomery
Louis-Rae Beadle
Scott Thomas (for Cox, 74)
Rhys Murrell-Williamson
Mario Noto
Chimdi Akubuine (for Inman, 19)
Austin Lipman (for Morias, 72)
Gary MacDonald (for Karagiannis, 46)
Greg Morgan (for Montgomery, 78)
Delroy Preddie (for Collins, 65)
James Courtnage
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy