Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Chelmsford City 0
Hayes & Yeading Utd 0
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Hayes & Yeading's scoreless encounter at Melbourne Park ended in controversy as Luke Williams "goal" in stoppage time straight from a direct free-kick was ruled out for offside to the total and utter dismay of United's players, coaches and supporters.

With a fierce wind blowing straight down the Melbourne Park pitch, it was United who kicked off with the wind in their faces and also created the first opening when Luke Williams collected a Matty Harriott chipped pass but his shot from just outside the box went the wrong side of the upright.

Jamie Young was soon in action in the United goal as Clarets skipper Mark Hughes got his head to a Nicky Nicolau free-kick, the United stopper well positioned to grab the goalbound effort. The home sides' next chance was well snubbed out by Charlie Wassmer as he got a telling block to a Sam Long shot after the defender had been played through by Kieron St Aimie.

Within a minute it was former United loanee keeper Carl Pentney who denied his former side from taking the lead when Geoff Mitchell moved onto a Williams pass and angled a shot with his weaker right foot that Pentney did well to palm to safety.

United despite playing against the wind were finding a good deal of forwards movement. Adam Everitt's throw-in was well controlled by Jake Reid on the six yard line, his shot on the turn looping up off Edmans outstretched leg before spinning onto the roof of the Clarets goal.

In fact Edmans should have found the net at the other end a few minutes later when he attempted a diving header on the end of a deep Matt Lock cross only to put his header wide of the unprotected upright. Young was again needed soon after to keep the scoresheet blank when Edmans ran onto a throughball and hit a shot from 18 yards that forced the United keeper to push his effort around the post.

The final five minutes of the half belonged to United though. Tom Bird's long centre was dragged back by Mitchell at the far post, he cut back past Leon Redwood and struck a powerful shot that Pentney could only parry to Williams who fired just too high from 12 yards out. Then in stoppage time, Reid tried his luck from just inside the box only for his effort also to be just that little bit too high.

With the wind at United's backs after the break it was indeed the visitors who were to dominate the chances. Harriott hit a speculative drive from 25 yards that bounced off Pentney's chest before being collected while the Clarets keeper did better five minutes later when holding a Frankie Merrifield effort after he was fed by Bird.

Wind assisted shots from distance were the order of the day for United as Williams and Jack Mills both just missed the target from 20+ yards out midway through the second half. With twelve minutes remaining Mitchell had a great chance to cap an excellent personal display when he received a misplaced pass from Rory McAuley inside his own area, unfortunately the big striker's effort went across goal and well wide of the far post.

Having had the bulk of the chances in the second half, it was only a superb save from Young that stopped United going behind with two minutes remaining. Nicolau planted a free-kick deep into the United box where a mishit volley went straight to Joe Ward who struck his volley cleanly only to be denied by Young's diving block with the follow-up diving header going just wide of the post.

Then in the second minute of stoppage time controversy reigned. Williams took a free-kick on the left side and curled it into the middle where the ball evaded all and sundry, including Pentney, before nestling in the back of the net. Assistant referee Mr Ajibola raised his flag for offside and after protests from everybody in a blue shirt, referee Holderness consulted his assistant before controversially sticking with the offside decision therefore chalking off what appeared to be a perfectly legal "goal" that would have given United all three points.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Geoff Mitchell.

Chelmsford City
Hayes & Yeading United
Carl Pentney
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 0-0

Referee: Mr B Holderness

Attendance: 718


Chelmsford City:

Hayes & Yeading United:

Jamie Young
Sam Long
Jack Mills
Leon Redwood
Adam Everitt
Matt Lock
Matty Harriott
Rory McAuley
Charlie Wassmer
Christian Smith
© Dean Inman
Joe Ward
Geoff Mitchell
Mark Hughes ©
Frankie Merrifield
Kieron St Aimie
Jake Reid
Rob Edmans
Luke Williams
Nicky Nicolau
Tom Bird
Bagashan Graham (for Ward, 79)
Kamaron English (for Bird, 77)
Jeff Goulding (for Edmans, 63)
Huw Johnson (for Mitchell, 81)
Tom Davis
Luke Bersey
Aaron Greene
Jack Thomson-Wheeler
Tommy Forecast
Tyler Wootton
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy