Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

Tonbridge Angels 1
Hayes & Yeading Utd
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Hayes & Yeading's first trip to Longmead Stadium ended with honours even despite United totally dominating the first half as Mark Bentley's headed goal in his 50th appearance for United was soon cancelled out by Angels substitute Rory Hill who smashed home from 12 yards.

The first half hour of the game was to be dominated by chances for United who sadly found Angels keeper Lee Worgan in superb form. At the other end Brandon Hall was to have a quiet time as the visitors were restricted to shots from range that were somewhat wayward.

The first chance carved out by United was in 11th minute when Luke Williams' corner was met powerfully by Pelé but Worgan showed quick reactions diving to his left to push the ball around the post one handed. Ten minutes later Worgan was again in action as Daniel Wishart collected the ball on the left and made for the byeline before pulling it back to Luke Williams, his first time volley going through a defenders legs only to be held by Worgan as Mark Bentley followed up.

Just before the half hour mark United really should have taken the lead. Luke Williams' free-kick was knocked down to Wishart, his attempt was blocked and when the loose ball was collected by Pelé, his low driven centre was turned over the crossbar from inside the six yard box by his centre-back partner Calum Butcher.

Worgan though saved his best for the 32nd minute. Kudus Oyenuga ran onto a ball down the left side, his deep cross was met at the far post by Wishart whose header appeared to be heading into the bottom corner only for Worgan to throw himself at the ball feet first to volley it away off the line.

Minutes later the home side created their first real opening and it could have led to them being reduced to ten men. Chris Piper appeared to lunge into Hall as he grabbed the ball from George Purcell's throughball, referee Busby deciding a yellow card for Piper for the challenge was the appropriate course of action.

Chances were now starting to come at both ends, Worgan held onto a Tobi Joseph volley after he connected with Wishart's flick and at the other end Purcell collected the ball from a flick on and made space for a shot, his effort being well blocked by Butcher.

The final chance of the half came in stoppage time, Oyenuga stretching to reach a Luke Williams corner but he could not keep the ball down and the half closed goalless.

United started the second half again in the ascendancy and after just about 30 seconds Worgan was in action again, this time diving right to grab a Luke Williams volley after he had controlled a Bentley pass.

The game went a little bit flat for a while as the home side started to have more possession but still without causing any great pressure on the United goal. On the hour mark things changed as the deadlock was broken by United. Pelé's pass from half way was flicked on by Joseph to Wishart who made space before crossing to the far post where Bentley arrived with perfect timing to head into the roof of the net.

This seemed to awaken the hosts as they started to push forwards immediately in search of an equaliser. Lee Browning found Purcell who shot wide and minutes later a corner from the right was met by central defender Gary Elphick who was again off target with his effort.

The leveler did come though on 73 minutes. Butcher tracked Purcell to the Angels left side but despite winning the ball he was quickly dispossessed by the Angels frontman who fired in a cross that was partially cleared by Pelé only for the ball to fall nicely to an on-coming Rory Hill who smashed it past Hall giving the United stopper no chance.

Referee Busby then turned down a penalty claim at either end, Angels midfielder Tom Davis went down having burst into the box with his protests being waved away, at the other end Oyenuga was tripped right on the edge of the Angels area with a free-kick being awarded inches outside. Wishart took the free-kick but did not have enough distance to get the ball up and down again and it cleared the crossbar.

Stoppage time saw the point almost snatched from United. Elphick headed home at the far post but was penalised for taking a ride on Butcher's back to reach the ball and then with the last kick of the game a long throw from Henry Muggeridge was flicked on to Purcell but his hooked shot came back off the face of the United crossbar into Hall's grateful arms.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Andy Corbett.

United Man of the Match: Mark Bentley.

Tonbridge Angels
Hayes & Yeading United
Lee Worgan Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 1-1

Referee: Mr J Busby

Attendance: 573


Tonbridge Angels:
Hill (73)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Bentley (60)
Brandon Hall
Sonny Miles
Yassin Moutaouakil
Henry Muggeridge
Dan Spence
Lee Browning
© Sam Cox
Gary Elphick ©
Calum Butcher
Ben Judge
Tom Davis
Kudus Oyenuga
Chris Piper
Mark Bentley
George Purcell
Tobi Joseph
Frannie Collin
Luke Williams
Ross Treleaven
Daniel Wishart
Ollie Schulz (for Judge, 71)
Manny Williams (for Oyenuga, 84)
Rory Hill (for Treleaven, 57)
Jerome Anderson (for Wishart, 78)
Mark Lovell
John Goddard
Aaron Gayle (for Piper, 71)
Josh Ekim
Danny Walder
James Beasant
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy