Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

1st Team Match Report

HYUFC Hayes & Yeading Utd 2
Basingstoke Town 1
HYUFC TV - Watch the highlights of this match here courtesy of FC Video
Hayes & Yeading got back to winning ways at Kingfield on Tuesday evening as a late Tom Collins strike saw United overcome Basingstoke Town after Alasanne N’Diaye’s opener had been cancelled out by Delano Sam-Yorke.

From the off it was looking like being an open game despite the ground being extremely soft under foot. Luke Williams was the first to test Basingstoke keeper Ashley Bayes when he collected a Tom Collins pass and hit a first time shot that was held by Bayes.

Two minutes later it was Brandon Hall in the United goal who had to be sharp as Delano Sam-Yorke burst into the box and hit a shot that Hall did well to push around the post. From the resultant corner the ball was played to Matthew Warner on the edge of the box but his shot curled away wide of the far post.

The action quickly switched to the other end and N’Diaye won the ball in a tackle and found Williams, this time his angled drive was tipped over by Bayes in the Dragons goal.

The visitors went close twice in as many minutes at the midway point in the half. Wes Daly picked out Jay Gasson with a free-kick but the defender headed over when well placed and then Sam-Yorke worked his way past Daniel Brathwaite but instead of shooting tried to set up Simon Dunn, the ball eventually being scrambled away by Calum Butcher.

Seconds later and United really should have taken the lead when Collins’ cross picked out N’Diaye in the six yard box, his downwards header finding the only bouncy part of the pitch as the ball sprang up and over off the crossbar with Bayes beaten.

On the half hour N’Diaye was again well placed, this time having collected a Williams pass his shot was charged down by Gasson before spinning across goal before being cleared.

The last fifteen minutes of the half brought a good chance apiece but the scorer was not troubled thanks to two fine saves. The first chance fell to United, Sam Cox and John Goddard combined on the right with the latter seeing his drive tipped over by the Dragons ever young veteran keeper.

At the other end a long punt upfield by Warner found Sam-Yorke who outpaced Brathwaite but could not beat Hall who did well to block away his effort with his legs and the half ended without a goal.

The deadlock was finally broken nine minutes into the second half. Goddard crossed to the far post where N’Diaye controlled the ball and hit a shot that Bayes got to but could not keep out as the ball hit one post and rolled across the line just inside the other one.

Ten minutes later the visitors were level although they should maybe have been sooner as an unmarked Rob Rice was picked out from a corner but his header cleared Hall’s goal. The equaliser was not long in coming though and it was no surprise that it came from the ever dangerous Sam-Yorke. The Dragons striker collected the ball in the left channel, held off the attentions of Adam Bygrave and advanced into the area to plant the ball firmly past Hall into the far corner.

Sam-Yorke tested Hall again soon afterwards while at the other end Goddard was only just wide from 20 yards after good approach play by Williams and Collins.

The final ten minutes saw United up their game and push for a winner that looked like never coming as Bayes was in inspired form. Goddard found substitute Josh Ekim who struck a volley that Bayes did well to push out before the ball was scrambled clear and two minutes later Tom Cadmore collected the ball 30 yards out and hit a shot that looked destined for the top corner only for Bayes to acrobatically turn it over the top.

The winner did finally come for United with just a minute of normal time remaining. Butcher crossed the ball in from the right, the Dragons defence had two attempts to clear which only took the ball as far as Collins, the on-loan striker cutting inside and curling a shot beyond Bayes into the far corner for his second in as many games.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Alasanne N'Diaye.

Print the Teamsheet: Here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Basingstoke Town
Brandon Hall
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 2-1

Referee: Mr J O'Brien

Attendance: 149


Hayes & Yeading United:
N'Diaye (54)
Collins (89)

Basingstoke Town:
Sam-Yorke (64)

© Ashley Bayes
Calum Butcher
Nathan Smart
Daniel Brathwaite
Matthew Warner
Sam Cox ©
Rob Rice
Tom Cadmore
Jay Gasson
Adam Bygrave
Stuart Lake
Luke Williams
Wes Daly
Mark Bentley
Shaun McAuley
Alasanne N'Diaye
Manny Williams
Tom Collins
Delano Sam-Yorke
John Goddard
Simon Dunn
Tim Sills (for Williams, 66)
Jerome Anderson (for Bentley, 70)
Jide Ogunbote
Ben Gladwin
Chris Paterson
Josh Ekim (for Williams, 79)
David Ray
James Beasant
Joe McDonnell
Pitching in | Partners with Southern Football League

League Sponsors

Joma Greenfields FWP Architecture

League Table

Powered by FcTables.com
iZedIT Computer Solutions Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy