Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 1
Tamworth 0

Hayes & Yeading United beat Tamworth for the fourth consecutive time as Richard Pacquette's strike minutes into the second half proved crucial at Kingfield on Sunday afternoon.

Manager Nas Bashir made two changes to the side that had netted a point against Luton the previous week, Jack Saville came into the United defence in place of the injured Diak John while Curtis Ujah returned in place of Ryan Crockford which meant Mark Bentley returning to his favoured midfield role.

On a greasy surface after a heavy rain shower prior to kick off it was Hayes & Yeading who created the first opening of the game in just the fourth minute. Louie Soares played a short corner to skipper Jamie Hand who curling cross-shot towards the far corner was tipped wide by Lambs keeper Jonathan Hedge. The resultant corner, again by Soares saw Tom Cadmore flick the ball on to a sliding Mark Bentley who from beyond the far post could only hit the side netting.

The first scare in the United area came ten minutes later when a long throw from Kieron St Aimee was allowed to bounce across the area to Danny Thomas near the far post but he rushed his shot and it went harmlessly wide of Steve Arnold's goal.

Thomas was again given a chance to test Arnold in the 24th minute when he stepped up to a free-kick 20 yards from goal, again though he failed to trouble the United keeper firing the ball well over the crossbar.

With chances being limited almost to one every ten minutes, it was in the 34th minute that United again went close as Hand fed Soares who tried his luck from fully 25 yards, the shot despite taking a deflection off Sam Habergham was comfortably grasped by the diving Hedge.

Not surprisingly the last chance of the half came on 44 minutes when a free-kick into the Tamworth box was nodded down by Bentley to Richard Pacquette who tried a cheeky overhead effort that Hedge caught with ease.

The second half was to have a few more openings, none more so than three minutes in when United broke the deadlock. A quick free-kick on the left side of midfield found Soares, he sent the impressive Luke Williams away towards the bye-line and his perfect low centre was slotted home by Pacquette from 8 yards out (pictured left).

Five minutes later having successfully repelled a Tamworth attack, Williams led a breakout and at one time had a three on one situation, the young midfielder fed Pacquette who in turn played it to Pierre Joseph-Dubois but sadly it was on his weaker left foot and he shot wide of the target.

With the visitors long ball game not getting much change from a solid United defence, it was a solo run from Soares that saw him twist and turn his way to a shooting position but sadly his 20 yard effort went across Hedge's goal and wide of the far post.

MInutes later another high ball into the United area was headed clear by Cadmore, Lambs skipper Christie meeting the ball on the volley from 20 yards and drawing a diving save from Arnold. Minutes later Arnold was in action again as a Habergham cross from the left was met by a flying Thomas but the United keeper was equal to his diving header.

With the visitors now sitting with four or five up front in a bid to turn the game around it was getting to be hard work for the United defence. Kyle Patterson worked space for himself on the edge of the area and on another day his shot that deflected off St Aimee would have flown into the net, this time however Arnold's sharp eyes saw him well positioned to grab the shot.

Substitute Ryan Crockford failed to repeat his opening day strike as his 25 yard free-kick went wide before the visitors last ditch attempts to equalise saw firstly a shot on the run from Nabil Shariff and then when the ball dropped in the area minutes later a shot by defender Francino Francis, both of which went way over Arnold's goal and three points were secured for Hayes & Yeading thus maintaining the unbeaten start to the season at Kingfield.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Luke Williams.

Highlights courtesy of FC Video here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Steve Arnold
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 1-0

Referee: Mr R Whitton

Attendance: 359


Hayes & Yeading United:
Pacquette (48)

Alfreton Town:

Jonathan Hedge
Jamie Hand ©
Richard Tait
Tom Cadmore
Sam Habergham
Jack Saville
Francino Francis
Louie Soares
Jay Smith
Pierre Joseph-Dubois
Ashley Cain
Luke Williams
Kieron St Aimee
Mark Bentley
Danny Thomas
Richard Pacquette
Paul Green
Harrison Bayley
Daniel Bradley
Curtis Ujah
© Iyseden Christie
Sam Argent
Danny Mills (for Thomas, 69)
Ryan Crockford (for Ujah, 73)
Liam McDonald
Daniel Wishart (for Joseph-Dubois, 78)
Kyle Patterson (for Christie, 60)
Nathan Elder (for Pacquette, 78)
Joe Collister
Hector Mackie
Nabil Shariff (for Cain, 60)