Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 1
Grimsby Town 2

United came into this game against play-off chasing Grimsby full of hope after back-to-back wins but sadly Jamie Hand's late spot kick was not enough to stop the visitors taking all three points back to Lincolnshire.

The Mariners were quick out of the blocks and really should have gone ahead after 10 minutes. Michael Coulson exchanged passes on the right with Anthony Church before sending a cross to the far post that was met by Rob Duffy, his downward header from close range coming back into play off the base of the post before being cleared by the United defence.

Five minutes later Coulson advanced again, this time his low centre was dummied by Duffy which left the ball to run on to Anthony Elding who drove the ball wide of the upright from just outside the area.

Duffy was soon on the charge again, Craig Disley intercepted a loose Phil Walsh pass and fed his striker on the corner of the box, the finish however was rather wayward.

At the midway point of the half Hayes & Yeading almost took a fortuitous lead as Mariners keeper James McKeown had to claw away a Jamie Hand cross from under his own crossbar. The ball was quickly worked back to Hand who moved in from the left and hit a shot that Toby Ajala deflected straight to McKeown.

On the half hour mark it was the visitors turn to have a massive slice of fortune and this led to them taking the lead. Coulson's corner fell at the feet of Ajala inside the six yard box, his attempted clearance cannoned back of the behind of a United player straight to Duffy who hooked home from close range despite the best efforts of Steve Arnold who got a strong hand to it but could not keep it out.

Coulson was proving a real pain for the United defence with his pinpoint crossing and Duffy had the ball in the net again on 39 minutes as he superbly volleyed home Coulson's cross, his joy was short lived however as referee Mr Amey spotted a foul in the centre and awarded a free-kick to United.

As the half drew to it's conclusion, Hand saw another effort from range held by McKeown and Arnold pushed away a Church shot from the edge of the area after good build up play involving Elding and Peter Winn.

The Mariners came at United again early in the second half, Coulson's cross was headed over at the far post by Ian Miller and then the lead was doubled in the 56th minute. Once again Coulson's dead ball kick was the catalyst as Shaun Pearson rose highest from a corner to plant a header past Arnold into the far side of Arnold's goal.

Two minutes later Tom Cadmore stepped up to drive a free-kick past the Mariners wall from 25 yards, sadly the ball rose too high and went over McKeown's crossbar. Minutes later Dwane Lee played Yassin Moutaouakil into trouble which allowed Duffy to nip in and take the ball before forcing Arnold to palm the ball away.

With just short of 20 minutes to play, Coulson and Pearson combined in identical fashion to the visitors second goal, this time the defender's effort went just the wrong side of the upright.

United finally got a surprising lifeline four minutes from time when Daniel Wishart fired a shot through a crowd, the ball ran into the path of substitute Julian Owusu inside the six yard box and he was pulled to the ground by Church. Referee Amey had little option but to red card the offender and award United a penalty which Hand duly crashed home to give United hope.

Unfortunately, despite pushing forwards for the remaining time an equaliser was not forthcoming, the closest being a 25 yard Hand effort that McKeown was fully behind as the Mariners held on to take maximum points.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Daniel Wishart.

Highlights courtesy of FC Video here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Grimsby Town
Steve Arnold
Half-Time: 0-1

Full-Time: 1-2

Referee: Mr J Amey

Attendance: 392


Hayes & Yeading United:
Hand (87 pen)

Grimsby Town:
Duffy (30)
Pearson (56)
James McKeown
Yassin Moutaouakil
Anthony Church
Jamie Hand ©
Michael Coulson
Tom Cadmore
© Craig Disley
Daniel Wishart
Rob Duffy
Aiden O'Brien
Shaun Pearson
Dwane Lee
Bradley Wood
Toby Ajala
Conor Townsend
Tom Collins
Ian Miller
Dan Spence
Peter Winn
Phil Walsh
Anthony Elding
Sam Argent
Gary Silk
Julian Owusu (for Collins, 63)
Scott Garner
Mark Bentley (for Ajala, 88)
Andi Thanoj (for Winn, 70)
Pelé (for Lee, 63)
Kiernan Hughes-Mason (for Elding, 83)
James Beasant
Louie Soares