Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 1
Wycombe Wanderers 2

Hayes & Yeading United’s first experience of the FA Cup proper ended in heartbreak when Chairboys skipper Gareth Ainsworth scrambled home a winner in the fifth minute of stoppage time at the end of the game.

Manager Garry Haylock made one solitary change to his starting line-up with last years under 18's skipper Nathan Webb coming in for his first start of the season at right-back in place of Lewis Ferrell who dropped to the bench.

United started brightly as is often the case when non-league meets League opposition and with just six minutes played Bradley Pritchard latched onto a Peter Holmes knockdown but his first time effort was swept up by former Church Road loanee Nikki Bull. Minutes later Pritchard turned provider as he neatly played Jake Hyde through, the striker got to the ball seconds before Bull with his shot appearing to be saved by the Chairboys keepers face.

Play quickly switched to the other end and former Chairboy Tom Cadmore did well to throw himself in the path of a Scott Davies effort after good work from Ainsworth on the right. Play quickly switched end again and Michael Malcolm found Andy Yiadom on the right, he moved past his marker before just missing the top corner from an acute angle.

Almost at the midway point and Harrison was forced into his first save when Ainsworth tried an audacious shot from all of 40 yards that needed to be touched around the post by the diving United keeper. Play continued to move from end to end as both sides played their football well and created openings. A Holmes free-kick fell to Hyde who hooked over with an overhead effort while at the other end it was Adam Bygrave flying into harms way this time as he dived in to block away a Beavon drive.

The half-time appearance of a substitute goalkeeper is becoming a little too familiar for United fans as yet again Lee Harrison was forced off at the break with what appeared to be a recurrence of his injury, Niki-Lee Bulmer coming on for his debut since joining on loan from QPR recently.

It could however have been a good start to the second half for the home side as twice the Wycombe defence opened up but the finishing touch was missing. Yiadom chipped across the box just inches from the toe of the sliding Pritchard and minutes later the hard working Pritchard switched passes with Hyde before driving inches over Bull's crossbar.

Bulmer's first call to arms came nine minutes into the half when giant defender Dave Winfield outjumped the United keeper to a free-kick only for his header to loop over the top. Bulmer was soon in action again though as he did well to palm out and gather a powerful Davies drive after good work from Beavon.

Hayes & Yeading continued to push for the all important opener though, Holmes and Yiadom combined before the latter sent Pritchard between two defenders but Bull was quickly off his line to block at his feet. Seconds later Malcolm and Pritchard joined forces on the left with the latter picking out Yiadom with his cut-back from the bye-line but the former Watford man's weak shot was gratefully grasped by Bull.

With the United faithful thinking "it's coming", it did, at the other end. A ball into the United area was not cleared and Beavon nipped in to take control and stab the ball past Bulmer from 12 yards to give the Chairboys the lead.

The deficit only lasted nine minutes though as Hyde found Holmes on the right of the Wycombe area, his cut-back being swept home by Pritchard giving Bull no chance from 6 yards. From the re-start Bulmer was almost caught napping when Davies tried his luck from the kick-off and the ball sailed just over the United goal.

Having been pulled back, the visitors seemed determined to put it right quickly. a deep cross found Ainsworth at the far post, his first time shot across goal came back off the inside of the post and while Ben Strevens did well to react and get his head to the ball being just two yards out he could not keep it down and it went over the gaping goal.

Bygrave and Cadmore were throwing blocks from all angles to keep the Chairboys at bay and it looked like curtains when in the fourth minute of stoppage time a Wycombe corner caused mayhem in the area and Ainsworth scooped the ball over while sitting on his backside, surely the whistle would confirm a deserved draw for United now????

No, there was still more additional time on the referee's watch during which he awarded another corner to the visitors. Again Davies' kick caused chaos in the United six yard box and when the crossbar came to the rescue it looked like our day, until Ainsworth pounced on the loose ball to prod his side into the second round.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

Barnhill Community Centre Man of the Match: Michael Malcolm (being presented above).

Highlights courtesy of FC Video here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Wycombe Wanderers
Lee Harrison
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 1-2

Referee: Mr D Phillips

Attendance: 1,426


Hayes & Yeading United:
Pritchard (70)

Wycombe Wanderers:
Beavon (61)
Ainsworth (90+5)
Nikki Bull
Tom Cadmore
Danny Foster
Adam Bygrave
Andy Sandell
Peter Holmes ©
Dave Winfield
Michael Malcolm
© Gareth Ainsworth
Jamie Hand
Kevin Betsy
Bradley Pritchard
Ben Strevens
Andy Yiadom
Lewis Montrose
Lee Brown
Stuart Beavon
Jake Hyde
Scott Davies
Nathan Webb
Chris Westwood
Lewis Ferrell
Alan Bennett
Adam Green
Leon Johnson
Ahmed Deen (for Yiadom, 74)
Kieran Murtagh
Elliott Buchanan (for Webb, 79)
Scott Rendell (for Strevens, 82)
Daryl McLean
Marvin McCoy
Phil Appiah
Matt McClure
Niki-Lee Bulmer (for Harrison, 46)
Steve Arnold