Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Kidderminster Harriers 3
Hayes & Yeading United

For the trip to Aggborough Manager Garry Haylock made three changes to the side that had started against Histon the previous week. New signing Lee Brown replaced the injured Adam Green while James Mulley and Elliott Buchanan dropped to the bench in favour of Ahmed Deen who was back from International duty and new arrival Adrian Pătulea.

After an even opening few minutes, the home side should have taken the lead in the fifth minute when a Josh Lennie clearance was headed straight back by Michael Briscoe to Nick Wright who lifted it over Lennie and with Tom Cadmore slipping a goal looked a certainty before he fired over the vacant net.

A smart passing move by the Harriers in the centre of the pitch saw the ball played left to Mike Williams who picked out Chris McPhee in the centre but his header was picked off easily by Josh Lennie deputising in the United goal.

The breakthrough for the home side came on 15 minutes when Lewis Ferrell failed to get a call and needlessly conceded a throw in on the Harriers left. A quick throw to Callum Gittings saw him cut along the bye-line before picking out Wright who coolly side footed the ball past Lennie into the far corner.

Three minutes later saw United's first good opening when
Pătulea and Pritchard exchanged passes on the left with the United striker picking up the return in the area and from a tight angle he tried his luck but only hit the side netting of the Harriers goal. United went closer minutes later when a Peter Holmes corner was knocked down by Adam Bygrave to Pătulea who saw his shot on the turn blocked on the line by Briscoe.

It was not long until United deservedly drew level. A Wright pass in the United area was picked off and the ball played out to skipper Holmes in the middle of the park, his throughball found the perfectly timed run of Pătulea who held off Briscoe before firing past Danny Lewis in the Harriers goal (above and right).

Minutes later it could have been advantage United as Deen broke away on the left side, his low driven cross took the toe of a defender which took the ball just out of the reach of the incoming Michael Malcolm. The resultant corner fell to Deen at the far post, his shot was blocked in the six yard box and as the loose ball ran to Jamie Hand he curled an effort just wide of the upright.

Just before the break the Harriers Dave Hankin received an excellent crossfield pass and advanced towards the United area before settling up a chance for Keith Briggs who was narrowly wide from 18 yards.

The second half started in lively fashion. A quick Holmes free-kick saw Malcolm through on goal, the United man being denied by the quick reaction of Lewis in the home goal. Play swiftly switched to the other end and a Gittings corner was met by Jack Byrne who headed just wide of the United goal.

The 51st minute proved a massive turning point in the game. Byrne found himself down injured in the area, referee McLaughlin did not stop play and United continued to push ahead. Bradley Pritchard found Pătulea in the box, the striker being denied by a fine Lewis save that saw the ball finally cleared away for a throw in. Before the throw could be taken, an already cautioned Ollie Thorne seemed to take exception to Pătulea not putting the ball out of play to halt play (that's the ref's job) and wrestled with the United striker with both ending on the ground. Pătulea did appear to lash out but amazingly referee McLaughlin, who appeared to have his back to the whole incident, showed the United man an instant red card while letting Thorne off without even a word let alone a deserved card.

With United now on the back foot it was not surprising that the home side took control of the game. Wright and Gittings combined well on the edge of the United area with the latter hitting a shot high over Lennie's goal from the edge of the box.

Just after the hour mark Lennie was called into action when a Lee Vaughan cross was met by Wright, his looping header being touched over by the United stopper. Thorne got his head to the resultant corner but his effort was too high.

A quick break by United saw Lewis Ferrell beat two defenders but his whipped cross just evaded the boot of Deen. Play quickly switched to the other end when a Holmes pass was picked off by Matty Blair, he in turn found McPhee who saw his drive well saved by Lennie.

The respite didn't last long though as Kidderminster took the lead on 72 minutes. Marc Williams deep cross from the right was met low on the volley by Gittings who picked out McPhee at the near post and he finished neatly from six yards.

10 man United were now being restricted to breakaways while trying to hold off the home side, the third did finally arrive deep into stoppage time when the ball was played through to Gittings who fired across Lennie low into the far corner to give the result a somewhat wider look than was deserved.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

United Man of the Match: Jamie Hand.

Kidderminster Harriers
Hayes & Yeading United
Danny Lewis
Half-Time: 1-1

Full-Time: 3-1

Referee: Mr M McLaughlin

Attendance: 1,102


Kidderminster Harriers:
Wright (15)
McPhee (72)
Gittings (90+4)

Hayes & Yeading United:
Pătulea (28)
Josh Lennie
Lee Vaughan
Lewis Ferrell
Mike Williams
Tom Cadmore
Dave Hankin
Adam Bygrave
Keith Briggs ©
© Peter Holmes
Chris McPhee
Michael Malcolm
Jack Byrne
Adrian Pătulea
Nick Wright

Ahmed Deen

Michael Briscoe
Jamie Hand
Callum Gittings
Bradley Pritchard
Ollie Thorne
Lee Brown
Tom Shaw
James Mulley (for Holmes, 70)
Mark Albrighton (for Briscoe, 88)
Elliott Buchanan (for Malcolm, 82)
Matty Blair (for Hankin, 63)
Andy Yiadom
Marc Williams (for Byrne, 53)
Phil Appiah
Andrew Stevens
Daniel Wishart (for Deen, 76)