Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 1
Histon 2

It was another case of after the Lord Mayor's Show as Hayes & Yeading United suffered another home defeat against a side billed by the bookies as "one of our relegation foes" at Church Road on Saturday despite dominating early on and going ahead through Elliott Buchanan.

The visitors were quickly off the mark at Church Road and were only denied a third minute goal when Bradley Pritchard was on hand to head an Omer Riza far post header off the line after the midfielder met Erkan Okay's corner at the far post.

This close shave seemed to galvanize United who started to take the game to Histon. Elliott Buchanan won a challenge in the area and as the ball came down it was met on the volley by Michael Malcolm but his effort was too high to trouble Joe Welch in the visitors goal. Malcolm again went close with a header from James Mulley's chipped cross before Mulley himself missed a golden opportunity on 15 minutes when he latched onto a Bradley Pritchard pass and with only Welch to beat he shot weakly into the keeper's grateful arms.

United were not to be held at bay for long through as just 30 seconds later an Adam Green centre to the near post saw Buchanan nip in front of his marker to slide the ball past Welch for his maiden United goal (pictured left).

United reserve stopper Josh Lennie was required five minutes later when another Okay corner was flicked on to Riza at the far post, his angled shot being palmed wide.

United continued to push forwards looking for a second. Peter Holmes and Malcolm combined on the edge of the area with the United skipper's shot just swinging wide of the far stick. Holmes had another chance minutes later when Buchanan and Pritchard broke away on the left side, the latter's cross being met by Holmes who shot tamely straight at Welch.

Just over ten minutes remained to the break and United were hit with a sucker punch as Okay sprayed the ball down the left channel for his skipper Antonio Murray, the striker running into the area before slotting the ball past Lennie's dive into the far corner.

Almost immediately after conceding Green fired a 25 yard free-kick inches wide of the upright for United and at the other end Danny Mills went on a solo run up the right side, his advance was checked by Tom Cadmore but he still managed to pull the ball back to Murray who fired over from 18 yards.

The second period didn't start well for United as Histon were awarded a controversial penalty when Danny Mills went down under challenge from Lennie with the United stopper appearing to make minimal contact at the most. With the spot kick awarded Riza stepped up and converted with ease to give the visitors the lead.

Minutes later the scores should have been level when Pritchard made his way to the bye-line and pulled back a cross for Mulley who slid in at the far post and fired over from a couple of yards out.

Hayes & Yeading from this point seemed to have a lot of possession without troubling Welch too much in the Histon goal. The Stutes broke away just over the hour mark and could have doubled their lead when Riza challenged Lennie to a long ball, the loose ball running to the Histon man who fired wide of the unprotected goal.

The introduction of Andy Yiadom seemed to fire up the United attack and on 65 minutes he himself went close when he latched onto a Pritchard cross but his effort was just off target.

Histon were lucky on 66 minutes not to be reduced to ten men when the already cautioned Okay felled United dangerman Pritchard with a late challenge that drew just a warning from referee Jerden when many believed a second booking and subsequent dismissal should have been forthcoming.

Green then rifled a free-kick through the wall that Welch did well to hold and then Pritchard went close when he connected with Holmes' chest down but his shot went agonisingly wide of the upright.

The game closed with a Holmes chip that cleared the bar and United suffered a third consecutive home defeat which puts them just outside the drop zone at this very early stage in the season.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Photos by Ray Peploe.

Sponsors United Man of the Match: Tom Cadmore
(pictured left with match sponsor John Lipscombe)

Highlights courtesy of FC Video here.

Hayes & Yeading United
Josh Lennie
Half-Time: 1-1

Full-Time: 1-2

Referee: Mr G Jerden

Attendance: 359


Hayes & Yeading United:
Buchanan (15)

Murray (34)
Riza (50 pen)
Joe Welch
Lewis Ferrell
Callum Stewart
Adam Green
Erkan Okay
Tom Cadmore
Remy Clerima
Adam Bygrave
Oluwafemi Ilesanmi
James Mulley
Omer Riza
Peter Holmes ©
Lee Wootten
Michael Malcolm
© Antonio Murray
Elliott Buchanan
Danny Mills
Jamie Hand
Romone McCrae
Bradley Pritchard
Zak Mills
Andy Yiadom (for Mulley, 57)
Zac Attwood (for Stewart, 55)
Daryl McLean
George Lawton
Phil Appiah
Jim Stevenson
Daniel Wishart (for Malcolm, 76)
Lewis Taafe (for D Mills, 90+3)
Nathan Webb
Edward Adjei