Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Egham Town 0
Hayes & Yeading United

Hayes and Yeading United's second string travelled to face Combined Counties side Egham Town who are managed by former Yeading FC and Hayes FC striker Steve Baker.

This was a good workout for Colin Davis' young side who took the spoils courtesy of a cool second half finish from striker Scott Orphanou who later had to leave the game with a dead leg.

The home side started well, rattling Simon Grant's post early on when centre-forward Jamie Thornby superbly chested a cross before hitting a volley that came back into play off the upright. United fired back quickly though as Abdula Nsubuga saw a 30 yard shot well held by Egham keeper Tony Oval. Nsubuga was again close ten minutes later when he headed a Josh Andrew corner goalwards only for Oval to gather at the second attempt.

Minutes later Nsubuga released Orphanou on goal, the striker outpaced the home defence only to be denied by Oval who pushed his shot around the post. On the half hour mark a stray Jack Pattison clearance was picked off by a Karle Andrews who fired an effort from 20 yards that Simon Grant did well to palm away to safety. Just before the break the home side again hit the woodwork, this time Sonny Farr arrived at the back post and got his toe to the cross at full stretch but it went wide off the upright.

United started the second half well and an interchange between Pattison and Andrew led to the ball being fed to Orphanou, he turned his marker and shot past the substitute keeper but his effort was hacked off the line by a retreating defender. Next to try his luck for United was former QPR youngster Cyrus Vanterpool who shot over the keeper from 20 yards only for his effort to come back off the face of the crossbar.

Just 3 minutes later United took the lead, Andrew played a crossfield ball that Anton Robinson helped though to Orphanou, the striker coolly tucking the ball into the corner past the diving keeper. A minute later the lead could have doubled, Alex Duffy ran forwards from his own half and fed the ball to the feet of Orphanou who quickly sent Andrew on goal but his shot from an angle went across the face of goal and wide.

With substitutions flowing freely the game lost a lot of momentum, the home side had a golden chance to equalise when one of their substitutes broke through on goal against substitute keeper Ade Adeniyi who had been on the pitch a matter of seconds, Adeniyi won the battle though smothering the ball at the Egham man's feet.

The final chance came in stoppage time and again went to the home side when James King was required to play a header from a corner off the line to safety.

Report by Kevin Watts.

United Line-Up: Simon Grant (Ade Adeniyi), Jack Pattison, Alex Duffy, Mo Dikuiza, Ross Crawford (James King), Jamie Di Giuseppe (Jack Rooney), Josh Andrew, Abdula Nsubuga (Nathan Webb), Cyrus Vanterpool, Scott Orphanou, Anton Robinson (Paul Yoo).

Orphanou (55).