Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 1
York City 1

A more confident Hayes & Yeading United display so very nearly earned a first win in the Blue Square Premier but York striker Richard Pacquette scored late in the game to cancel out George Daly's opener.

Manager Garry Haylock made several changes to the side beaten at Nene Park on Tuesday, out went Ram Marwa (injured), Scott Fitzgerald, Marc Canham and Sami El-Abd, the replacements being Matt Ruby, Robert Gradwell, Esmond James and George Daly.

United were out of the blocks quickly and in just the fifth minute York keeper Michael Ingram had to be sharp to keep his goal intact. Dale Binns played the ball down the left flank to George Daly, the on-loan Wycombe striker advanced into the York area before cutting the ball back to strike partner Robert Gradwell who saw his flick pushed out at point blank range by Ingram and York skipper Danny Parslow was on hand to play the ball clear.

The Minstermen were also soon into there stride, Michael Rankine cut the ball back neatly to Alex Lawless but his shot was deflected wide by Matt Ruby. Ruby was again in the action minutes later when Lawless surged between two defenders into the United area and a perfectly timed tackle from the United defender was needed to deny a shot on Simon Overland's goal. The resultant corner from Ben Purkiss was met by Michael Gash but his header was easily plucked out of the air by Overland.

On the half hour mark Daly and Gradwell exchanged passes on the left before the former moved across the area and tried his luck from the edge, the ball going over without troubling Ingram. Minutes later Ingram almost gifted United an opener, Esmond James raced past James Meredith on the right, his low whipped cross being touched goalwards by Gradwell, Ingram got behind the effort but let the ball squirm from his grasp only to turn around and grab it on the line.

Having had a scare in front of their own goal, the Minstermen were soon on the attack, a free-kick was met by an un-marked McGurk at the far post, his knock down being hit on the turn by Gash who was denied by a fine diving catch from Overland. The final five minutes of the half brought a chance apiece to bring the first half to a close. For City Barrett pounced on a loose pass, made his way to the edge of the area and hit a shot that Overland was quick to push over the bar. For United Daly sent Danny Allen-Page away on the right, his low centre evaded Gradwell at the near post and fell to Binns beyond the far but his angle was far too acute and he fired wide.

The second period was a little slow getting going and with eight minutes played the game burst into life again when James Mulley found space in the middle to send Daly running at the York goal, as the pacey striker tried to go around Ingram he was tripped by the stopper who was very lucky just to receive a yellow card. The trip being in the area earned United a spot kick that Daly stepped up to and converted by sending Ingram the wrong way.

We were into the final quarter of the game before another serious chance came forth, and it was a chance that could have won the game for United. James and newly arrived substitute Scott Fitzgerald won the ball in midfield with a "gang tackle" and the United striker was bearing down on the York goal, his shot from the edge of the area beating Ingram before hitting the underside of the bar and coming back into play where Parslow hacked it clear.

Mulley and Fitzgerald combined again minutes later, this time it was Mulley who tried his luck from 18 yards but his shot was wide of the target.

The visitors then started to heap pressure on the United defence in search of an equaliser and maybe more. A corner from Purkiss was again met by McGurk, this time his header was headed off the line by Ruby. York manager Martin Foyle then played his trump card by introducing former Havant striker Richard Pacquette into the action. Within minutes the striker had latched onto a loose Cadmore pass before racing into the area, the United skipper did atone though by Team Nestle with their MotM - George Dalyblocking his effort with a well timed tackle.

Sadly for United just two minutes later Pacquette made no mistake when he was picked out perfectly at the far post by Adam Smith who had worked space for himself on the right side of the United area before planting the ball on his striker's head inside the six yard box. Sixty seconds later it could have been even worse as Lawless ran into the United area, turned his defender and with just Overland to beat hit a shot that the United stopper did very well to push away one handed to secure a point for United.

Report by Kevin Watts. Photos by Ray Peploe.

Highlights courtesy of FC Video

Nestle Man of the Match: George Daly.

Hayes & Yeading United
York City
Simon Overland
Half-Time: 0-0

Full-Time: 1-1

Referee: Mr D Coote

Attendance: 606


Hayes & Yeading United:
Daly (53 pen)

York City :
Pacquette (84)

Michael Ingram
Danny Allen-Page
Ben Purkiss
Adam Green
James Meredith
Tom Cadmore (c)
David McGurk
Matt Ruby
(c) Danny Parslow
James Mulley
Adam Smith
Robert Gradwell
Michael Gash
Dale Binns
Alex Lawless
Justin Cochrane
Neil Barrett
Esmond James
Michael Rankine
George Daly
Levi Mackin
Marc Canham (for James, 72)
Andy Ferrell (for Mackin, 59)
Scott Fitzgerald (for Gradwell, 57)
Richard Pacquette (for Barrett, 78)
Sami El-Abd
Craig Nelthorpe
Toby Little (for Cochrane, 74)
Richard Brodie (for Rankine, 59)
Delroy Preddie
Djoumin Sangare