Hayes & Yeading United Football Club

Click Here to go back to the previous page

Hayes & Yeading United 5
Wingate & Finchley
Half-Time: 2-0 Referee: Mr J Tavener

Colin Davis saw his Capital League side rebound from a heavy defeat to Staines two weeks ago with a 5-1 victory over Wingate & Finchley at Beaconsfield Road this evening.

Hayes & Yeading United put in a dominant first 45 minutes, going in at the break two goals ahead, both from the head of striker Staforde Palmer. Palmer had the first chance of the game when he latched onto a long ball from the United defence, his shot beat the dive of keeper Callum Horton and almost in slow motion came back of the left upright. Palmer himself was first to the rebound but was denied by sharp reactions from Horton.

Midway through the half Delroy Preddie got the chance to warm his gloves when easily gathering a rare Wingate effort from Jake Furman. Just 60 seconds later United had the lead, Kieran Knight found space wide on the right before pulling the ball back to Dan Mehmet who chipped a perfect centre that Palmer rose highest to and looped into the top corner. Five minutes later a superbly whipped in free-kick by Nevin Saroya was flicked goalwards by Knight, Horton got his fingers to the ball that then struck Marcel Jones on the post and he was able to hack clear.

Staforde PalmerPalmer (pictured left) was soon to get a second, courtesy of an excellent run and cross from the left flank by Ray Curtis that enabled the striker to again head past Horton in the Wingate & Finchley goal.

Horton twice kept his side in the match in the five minutes before the break. A deep Esmond James cross was met at the far post by Ollie Fayed only for Horton to tip his header over the bar and just minutes later the keeper did exactly the same, this time stopping his own player Leon Skinner from slicing the ball into his own net.

Credit must be given to the visitors who despite being under the cosh in the first half they came out with renewed gusto and Andy Edmunds twice went close just three minutes into the half, he should however have done better with the second attempt as only Preddie stood between him and the United goal.

Palmer was then denied a hat-trick by a chested goal line clearance by Tom Inch before the visitors did indeed pull a goal back. Furman found space inside the "D" and knocked the ball left to Edmunds who fired past Preddie into the top corner from 18 yards.

Mehmet was denied by Horton after he burst free in the area but minutes later Curtis was again the creator of a United goal as the defender threaded the ball to Knight who was unceremoniously tripped in the area by skipper Jerome Boyce. Palmer stepped up and coolly fired home from the spot to complete his second Capital League hat-trick of the season.

The final ten minutes brought United two further goals, a long Preddie punt was controlled by Knight with his back to goal, he turned Boyce and then fired left footed into the bottom corner. Just a minute remained when substitute Jake Lovell broke at pace down the right flank, his cut back from the byeline was swept home by Mehmet to complete the scoring.

Report by Kevin Watts.

Website United Man of the Match: Staforde Palmer.

Hayes & Yeading United Wingate & Finchley
1 Delroy Preddie   1 Callum Horton  
2 Ray Curtis   2 Rickelle Christian  
3 Jamie Lindsay   3 Anthony Limbrick  
4 Mohammed Dikuiza   4 Jerome Boyce Captain
5 Nevin Saroya Captain 5 Leon Skinner  
6 Peter Collins   6 Tom Inch  
7 Esmond James   7 Joseph Killingback  
8 Dan Mehmet   8 Jake Furman  
9 Kieran Knight   9 Andy Edmunds  
10 Staforde Palmer   10 Nikolaos Renleris  
11 Ollie Fayed   11 Marcel Jones  
12 Jake Lovell for 10 (71) 12 Leigh Hatton for 10 (46)
14 Joao Pedro Silva for 11 (76) 14 Simeon Riley for 7 (72)
15 Aga Briandt   15 -  
Palmer (25, 34, 69 pen), Knight (81), Mehmet (89).
Edmunds (61).